Oh No (Tomini Tang)

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, getting a little nervous about my tomini tang ive been seeing him scrape up against some rocks every so often idk what it could be or if it’s natural ill post a video below… only could get him doing it once… he is very timid and hides alot when i walk up to the tank… good news he eats like a pig still

my yellow tang on the other hand is always out about eating anything and everything… I feed both of them nori and mysis/brine twice a day and i soak it selcon and kents garlic extract

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    13.8 MB

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini's tend to be very shy. I rarely see mine. He'll come out for a couple minutes, graze on the rockwork, chase the yellow wrasse and go hide again. I have had him for 4 years and this is his normal behavior. I had another Tomini in another tank and he did the same thing. Hide, quickly eat, then go hide again. If you're looking for a tang that will always be out and about get a kole tang instead. They are algae eating machines and rarely hide compared to Tomini's.

As for the rubbing. Mine does that on occasion and never a hint of ick or anything. Everyone has an itch to scratch now and then.. Just something they do..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys, getting a little nervous about my tomini tang ive been seeing him scrape up against some rocks every so often idk what it could be or if it’s natural ill post a video below… only could get him doing it once… he is very timid and hides alot when i walk up to the tank… good news he eats like a pig still

my yellow tang on the other hand is always out about eating anything and everything… I feed both of them nori and mysis/brine twice a day and i soak it selcon and kents garlic extract
i would ask for a little longer video as it was uncertain if scraping or scratching. Also under more white lighting
general scratching is due to irritant such as Flukes or Ich.
If Ich - You will or should be seeing tiny salt grain type of dots. With flukes you may or may not see anything. If No dots, and it is indeed scratching, you can do a 5 minute dip in a CLEAN bucket of tap water with a pich of baking soda for Ph and observe fish. After 5 minutes, return tomini to display tank
Then look at bottom of bucket and if you can see what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If so - Flukes.
If not, truly observe fish for any signs of dots or dusty looking particles.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but to me looks like it is feeding
i would ask for a little longer video as it was uncertain if scraping or scratching. Also under more white lighting
general scratching is due to irritant such as Flukes or Ich.
If Ich - You will or should be seeing tiny salt grain type of dots. With flukes you may or may not see anything. If No dots, and it is indeed scratching, you can do a 5 minute dip in a CLEAN bucket of tap water with a pich of baking soda for Ph and observe fish. After 5 minutes, return tomini to display tank
Then look at bottom of bucket and if you can see what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If so - Flukes.
If not, truly observe fish for any signs of dots or dusty looking particles.
he has no spots from ich… i got him 4 days ago from dr reef

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he has no spots from ich… i got him 4 days ago from dr reef
Every fish I have received from them has been great.

Occasional scratching is normal. Watch the breathing rate and for any bumps on the fish.

If the tank was completely clean beforehand,
you may be a bit worried and Looking for an issue. In our tanks, we can always find one if we look hard enough.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a quarantined tomini tang from Dr. Reef a few months ago and he's been perfect. no itching or scratching of any kind.

Prazipro is pretty reef safe. If it's flukes, a couple rounds should take care of it and can be done in your DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any fish that flashes like that on a frequent basis likely has external parasites, usually flukes. So what is frequent? IDK - but more than once every five minutes is probably suspicious.
Prazipro, dosed twice, nine days apart with good aeration is a pretty safe and effective treatment.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back