• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know man. What do you all expect? This is a reasonably large tank at ~75g. If you are trying to gatekeep the ownership of any tangs to 100g tank owners or bigger, like 5% of the people in this hobby will have tangs.

In a couple of years maybe this person will need a plan, but folks need to be reasonable here.

I was expecting some 30g cube with three tangs, this tank is more than twice that. I think the tang police may be a little overzealous here.

Well yes tangs should not be in any tank less than 6ft, and people who fail to understand that some fish just can’t be housed in certain tanks should not have a tank to begin with!
That’s opinion any ways.....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well yes tangs should not be in any tank less than 6ft, and people who fail to understand that some fish just can’t be housed in certain tanks should not have a tank to begin with!
That’s opinion any ways.....
Curious - seriously - not argumentatively - on what basis. What if I said tangs shouldn't be kept in tanks less than 8 feet? one you had a 7 foot one?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish look healthy.
7285A53B-0525-4DE5-96C3-BE1EDB191DBF.jpeg
Those fish look miserable, imo.

They really need a little blenny in that tank

to entertain the tangs and keep them in good spirits. Growing large in a small tank can be tiresome without a blenny for entertainment. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those fish look miserable, imo.

They really need a little blenny in that tank

to entertain the tangs and keep them in good spirits. Growing large in a small tank can be tiresome without a blenny for entertainment. :)
I have a blenny in a bowl next to me all the time..... I change water frequently

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - seriously - not argumentatively - on what basis. What if I said tangs shouldn't be kept in tanks less than 8 feet? one you had a 7 foot one?

As I said in the last line of my post, that’s my opinion and it isn’t just for tangs, any fish that can get to over a foot long shouldn’t be in a small tank and 6’ is the smallest.
Again just my opinion!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I said in the last line of my post, that’s my opinion and it isn’t just for tangs, any fish that can get to over a foot long shouldn’t be in a small tank and 6’ is the smallest.
Again just my opinion!
Just for the sake of discussion - you realize that tangs grow quickly at first - but dont reach their full growth for 40 years. It seems to me that that would give the average aquarist time to 'fix' the problem.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the sake of discussion - you realize that tangs grow quickly at first - but dont reach their full growth for 40 years. It seems to me that that would give the average aquarist time to 'fix' the problem.

Why fix a problem that shouldn’t be created to begin with?
Yes most tangs will out grow a 40g, 75g, or even a 100g within a year or so.
I have a 16 month old hippo that was the size of a quarter when I got it and is now nearly 8” long, and I’m debating g about trying to rehome it as my 120 isn’t cutting it.

I’m not a fan of constantly adding or removing fish from an established tank with a set pecking order, there is always a gamble doing so.

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You posted this thread knowing full well that not every single person was going to agree with you. There are literally numerous reasons those fish could be in that tank. And flaming a guy or girl for it with ZERO backstory and without them being able to defend themselves is ridiculous
He was hoping people would back him but now he has no one and is sad, hurt and mad he is alone

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope.. You only get three choices, right or wrong.. or, just don’t vote..
I agree - we need another option. I skipped the poll because the opposing answer feels loaded to me...

"who cares as long as the person running the tank is happy" implies some level of disregard in the tank owner. At very least, it removes the possibility that the animal is healthy and well cared for. To pick that answer is to sympathize with a selfish hobbyist - presumably with no regard for the animals, so it feels wrong before the votes are even cast.

I am casting my vote for this... "Right.. no problem as long as the fish is healthy and cared for".

Now back to my bucket of pop corn...

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yo momma keeps tangs in a small tank! Obviously some love a good argument.

Something ive noticed in fw with tons of wc's. Fish reach their potential pretty quick. In sw you don't see that unless they come in that big regardless of nitrate level. I'm not sure if the growth rate is extremely slow or if maybe hormones etc build up in the water. Ive always wondered

And who exactly are you tell anyone in this hobby if they are taking care of their fish! Get off your high horse and let others enjoy their tank, good grief. Here's my purple tang in a 75 and a sohal in a 125, do they look like they weren't taken care of? Grew from juveniles by the way and rehomed to larger tanks
Screenshot_20191128-195529_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190207-183850_Gallery.jpg

Those are both nice. Really starting to like purple tangs.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a question... I’m actually nervous, I don’t want to get jumped on. I feel like I’m watching a debate and I’m in the audience and I’m dying to ask... for all those that believe as long as the fish is happy and healthy/oppose the view of the OP... How many of you have a fish in your aquarium that someone with the view of the OP would say it doesn’t belong? I’m just curious. And if you do, have you ever thought it was a mistake or felt guilty about it being in there?

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a question... I’m actually nervous, I don’t want to get jumped on. I feel like I’m watching a debate and I’m in the audience and I’m dying to ask... for all those that believe as long as the fish is happy and healthy/oppose the view of the OP... How many of you have a fish in your aquarium that someone with the view of the OP would say it doesn’t belong? I’m just curious. And if you do, have you ever thought it was a mistake or felt guilty about it being in there.
I have a sailfin in my 72 bow who is very happy and acts just as a Tang should.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a question... I’m actually nervous, I don’t want to get jumped on. I feel like I’m watching a debate and I’m in the audience and I’m dying to ask... for all those that believe as long as the fish is happy and healthy/oppose the view of the OP... How many of you have a fish in your aquarium that someone with the view of the OP would say it doesn’t belong? I’m just curious. And if you do, have you ever thought it was a mistake or felt guilty about it being in there.
69DDA31E-76BF-4542-AB5E-ABD2A50B2D74.gif

I do not feel it is a mistake nor felt guilty. They are all fat, healthy and happy. I am currently upgrading from my 4’ 120g to a 6’ 180g so they will be happier. All these “that tang isn’t supposed to be in anything less than 300g” is ridiculous and just not true. Yes tangs get big and need a huge tank eventually, but they do not go from 6” to 3’ in the matter of a month. The tangs in my 4’ 120g are MUCH happier than they would be in the tiny 10-20g LFS tanks that they sit in for potentially months at a time before someone buys them

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol glad u r enjoying us dumpstering these boomers who think they r ethic majors or something!
I agree with u on the polls though I went ahead and voted on that just to trigger people but don't think it is right
Gotta say comments like make me cringe, and I’m a 27 year old. I feel like comments like this is part of why the older generations think poorly of our generation. And what the heck does “dumpstering these boomers who think they r ethic majors” even mean? Lol

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say comments like make me cringe, and I’m a 27 year old. I feel like comments like this is part of why the older generations think poorly of our generation. And what the heck does “dumpstering these boomers who think they r ethic majors” even mean? Lol
I’d have to agree, at 27 years old as well. The whole “boomers” put down is idiotic, I wish I wasn’t part of the generation that I’m in

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a question... I’m actually nervous, I don’t want to get jumped on. I feel like I’m watching a debate and I’m in the audience and I’m dying to ask... for all those that believe as long as the fish is happy and healthy/oppose the view of the OP... How many of you have a fish in your aquarium that someone with the view of the OP would say it doesn’t belong? I’m just curious. And if you do, have you ever thought it was a mistake or felt guilty about it being in there?
I have a 75g, was told I shouldn't add a goldhead sleeper - it wouldn't last a month in my tank. It's been in for 6 months, and as fatter than it was in the lfs. Active, and doing well.

I had an established pair of perc's, and an emergency with a friend left me with another pair at my door. The second pair is more than 10 years old, and used to lay eggs on a regular basis. I was told not to help out - they would kill my existing pair... They all four hang out in the bubble anemone all night, and swim together in the tank all day - no issues.

...and, at the risk of being burned at the stake, I have a 2 inch purple tang on the way this weekend. I suspect it will do fine, and be a long term, well cared for guest in my home.

Do I plan to upgrade? No plans as of now. I love my 75g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back