Only Some Snails Die

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, some of my inverts die and some live for a long time...
I'll add a round of inverts and within the first few weeks about half will die and I don't know why... Is that normal?

(1) pincushion urchin alive and "doing well" (from reef cleaners)
(2-4) ghost shrimps alive and "doing well" (from florida pets)
(3) peppermint shrimps alive and "doing well" for months now (from algae barn)
(2) money cowries (reef cleaners)
(6 to 10) Zebra hermit crabs (very small) alive and doing well, inhabiting some nerite snail shells of snails that died in the tank (ipsf)
Corals all alive and doing okay (alkalinity is a challenge lately)

Tank is 2 years old, I will be getting an ICP test soon...

Recent deaths:
2 dead whelks (zebro turbo snails) recently added (1.5" sized) (overnight shipped from reefcleaners)
1 dead mexican turbo (6 day in transit, sole survivor of shipment; survived in QT, died in DT)
5 Dead strombus snails and some dead nerite (shipped from Hawaii, 4-5 days)
2-3 dead cowries (money species) added end of last year, died a few weeks after addition

I just don't get it. How can some of my snails die and some live? Is it a combination of factors in each individual case (shipping/source) ?
If it was a common toxin (heavy metal for example) then wouldn't all of them die? Wouldn't the shrimp die too? Wouldn't it kill my corals too?
Could it be dinos or some other toxic organism they are ingesting? (I have bad hair algae and dinos could grow within the hair algae tufts)

salinity is 35ppt,
temp 76,
alk 6

I suspect it's some heavy metal but I don't know

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that seems consistent with my experiences receiving shipped invert. Especially snails. Most survive shipping but probably half don't make it through the first few weeks. The rest live a long time. I guess that's why we all order huge clean up crews

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back