Only some SPS bleaching, help a newbie

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started keeping SPS a little over a month ago. I have five acros that are doing pretty well, along with some other SPS like montis, birdsnest, etc. Just yesterday, I've noticed an acro that I got a week ago from WWC is turning white from the plug up on the top side of the coral. In the picture, it looks like it's just the side but it's also the top where the most light hits it. When looking over the tank, I also noticed the copper pavona has color missing from the bottom side of. As I'm new to the hobby and especially SPS keeping, is this typically something to do with parameters, lighting, tank pests, or a non-reef safe fish?
My parameters are as follows:
Calc 485 ppm
Alk 9.0 dKH
Mag 1480 ppm
Nitrate 3 ppm
Phosphate 0.02 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

In the oast week I've gone through some instability in my parameters because the epoxy I used to secure the frags caused my skimmer to go nuts so I wasn't skimming for two days. To correct this, I changed 10% of my water which raised my Calc and Mag which are usually at 450 and 1400, respectively.

Since my other corals are doing well, these are the only two corals displaying this out of over 30 corals in the tank, could my Coral Beauty Angelfish be the culprit? I haven't witnessed heavy pecking at corals, maybe only around feeding time when he's picking at food off corals but I don't know what he's doing during the day. I'd like to know if this type of damage can be caused by the angelfish or if I should check for something else in the tank. Thanks in advance, pictures to follow!
IMG_20180312_202255.jpg

IMG_20180312_202247.jpg

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros are pretty sensitive, but SPS in general do not like fluctuations in any parameter. You can change things slowly with them, but any swings and they might suffer tissue loss like you are experiencing here.

This has happened to all of us at some stage, so don't worry too much, just try and maintain as stable conditions as you can.

Position, how much light and flow can be factors as will in keeping SPS coral and sometimes you need to experiment a bit with placement.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all my acros at the top of my rocks under two AI Prime HDs. Do you think this is adequate?
IMG_20180313_193345.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back