Oolite or Special Grade Reef Sand?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ydarr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2014
Messages
67
Reaction score
17
Location
Wendell, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, so we are that much closer to setting up the tank (JBJ 28gl HQI). We currently have the tank full of water with distilled vinegar mixed in, to get the old coralline algae out of the tank. So here's my question....Oolite or Special Grade Reef sand? Is it personal preference, or is one better than the other?
 
I would say personal preference. I used a
Smaller sand like the oolite in a previous build and wasn't really happy with it. It blew around and piled up a lot. I now either use Fiji pink or special grade. I like the special grade best. I like the look and the bigger grains stay in place better.
 
Special Grade Reef sand or any sugar sized sand. OOlite is a mess and best for deep sandbeds. I still capped mine(dsb) with sugar sand.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new