Opinions and Advice

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I am relatively new to the hobby and have finally got my tank in good condition. Its a Reefer 350 I bought used for $750 with fish and everything. I would take any opinions or advice you have on it. One issue I still have is sand blowing around. Do you guys have any ideas on placement for my Reef Wave 25's to prevent sand blowing around. Also, any recommendations for a new return pump and skimmer. The current skimmer is Coralife and my current return pump is some utility pump. Finally, does anyone know a way to add a refugium to this sump? Thanks and happy reefing :)

IMG_4366.jpg IMG_4365.jpg

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a heck of a deal, that yellow tang alone is worth $~400 right now. Way to go. Stupid jealous.

Buddy that sump is filthy, it needs to be cleaned.

I use a hygger something or other dc 915 (?) And it's a good pump so far, 1month later. Quiet.
Simplicity 240 skimmer no problems 2 weeks later although it is just now broken in and producing skimmate. If the skimmer is not over damaged/leaks, then consider just getting replacement pump. Mine is way over powering my set up at 75g with 40g sump. But I like a heavybio load as in 15 fish, but most will be smallish, <5".
Definelty get a new heater on standby.
I've read that those cleaner wrasse are poor tank mates and often die of starvation, unless you have routinely parasitic infestations on your fish, cause it's all they eat.
The refugium could be where the skimmer is or you could, if you have the room, add via a separate container and pvc in and out for flow pattern. Just make sure they are the same height for water and level. Otherwise your siphoning one into the other...
Also if you are on a budget for space and time measure and glue/silicon a piece of drilled with small holes but LOTS of them (think screen) a piece of acrylic in the skimmer section. Itll be tiny but hey it's a fuge.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a heck of a deal, that yellow tang alone is worth $~400 right now. Way to go. Stupid jealous.

Buddy that sump is filthy, it needs to be cleaned.

I use a hygger something or other dc 915 (?) And it's a good pump so far, 1month later. Quiet.
Simplicity 240 skimmer no problems 2 weeks later although it is just now broken in and producing skimmate. If the skimmer is not over damaged/leaks, then consider just getting replacement pump. Mine is way over powering my set up at 75g with 40g sump. But I like a heavybio load as in 15 fish, but most will be smallish, <5".
Definelty get a new heater on standby.
I've read that those cleaner wrasse are poor tank mates and often die of starvation, unless you have routinely parasitic infestations on your fish, cause it's all they eat.
The refugium could be where the skimmer is or you could, if you have the room, add via a separate container and pvc in and out for flow pattern. Just make sure they are the same height for water and level. Otherwise your siphoning one into the other...
Also if you are on a budget for space and time measure and glue/silicon a piece of drilled with small holes but LOTS of them (think screen) a piece of acrylic in the skimmer section. Itll be tiny but hey it's a fuge.
I got a great deal through a customer f my LFs. I was planning to clean the sump today. The cleaner wrasse eats the Pemysis I feed the fish and he’s doing well. I’m planning to be a bit overstocked and would like a bigger skimmer. I was looking into the VarioS 4 for my return pump, and either the Reef Octo 150sss or the Bubble Magnus Curve 5 Elite. Any opinions?

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I dont have experience with any of those. Read the online reviews, if you trust them. I have a simplicity 240, plenty big, oversized actually, but I plan on keeping more than the recommended amount of fish. Reefoctos I looked at but were outside my budget, I go with the middle of the pack.

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I dont have experience with any of those. Read the online reviews, if you trust them. I have a simplicity 240, plenty big, oversized actually, but I plan on keeping more than the recommended amount of fish. Reefoctos I looked at but were outside my budget, I go with the middle of the pack.
Ok thanks.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great deal through a customer f my LFs. I was planning to clean the sump today. The cleaner wrasse eats the Pemysis I feed the fish and he’s doing well. I’m planning to be a bit overstocked and would like a bigger skimmer. I was looking into the VarioS 4 for my return pump, and either the Reef Octo 150sss or the Bubble Magnus Curve 5 Elite. Any opinions?
Both of those are great options. I used a Regal 150-SSS on my 120 and it worked great, and Varios return pumps are considered among the best.

OP
OP
T

The Fish Tankist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those are great options. I used a Regal 150-SSS on my 120 and it worked great, and Varios return pumps are considered among the best.
That’s good to here. Is it worth getting the VarioS version of that skimmer?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back