Orange setosa, Where do you guys keep yours ?

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a orange setosa frag from ora. Beautiful coral.. orange is fav color and in corals they look really nice.

Ive read mixed things on it though sometimes i think tidal gardens doesnt know what they want to say for coral placement the story they write out mentioned a coral wants high flow and light.. then under requirements it says medium light and low flow or something..

Anyway. I have this coral on his own chunk of rock near the bottom of my tank. The tank being 24 1.2 inchs tall. The coral is about 7 or 8 inchs up. My lights are 4 T5s two blue plus two coral plus with individual reflectors. And the lights are 7 inchs above my tank.

Its been in this spot for a two weeks now. And i noticed a amall part of it in the back is bleaching or dying. The rest of the coral seems fine though. Its in medium flow right now

Here are pics. Should i leep it in this spot ? Or move it further up. In one pic is the coral i circled in purple.. im debating on moving the purple starlight chalice i have circled in red and putting the setosa there.. itd be 6 inchs or so high mid way in the tank flow would be a little more there as well.. or should i leave it alone

20190617_174815.jpg

20190617_173835.jpg

20190617_173822.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does placement not matter too much for this coral ? Just trying to figure out if where its at is causing the back corner to bleach like this. All my tank stats are fine.. no different then the frag QT tank i had it in for a few weeks. But in the QT tank it was under 4 T5s only about 12 inches from the lights.. now its like 20 inches from the lights.. im wondering if that had something to do with it

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea he doesnt touch my corals. Had him in tjere for weeks now and i never see him even go near em.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montis generally like strong light. I have a setosa close to the water surface.
It's gotten 400+ PAR previously, although parts of it are now being shaded.
It does great, aside from being stung by other corals growing nearby (which I sometimes allow.)

IMG_6554b.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t count that bicolor out. I never see my angels pick on my coral either but I have NO polyp extension and will give a frag to a friend and it will get super shaggy. Could be other factors, yes, but I don’t rule out the dwarf angel fish ever

Corey

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back