Orchid Dottyback Help, Keep or No?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, so ive had a orchid dottyback in a 10 gallon for a couple of months with another clownfish, last night i upgraded my clown to a 40 gallon but am unsure if i wanna move the dottyback as well. in the 10, it was extremely shy for the 5 months i had it (both fish were very small when i got them i didn't shove two adult fish into a 10 gallon it was temporary). My original plan for the 40 was to get a midas blenny and firefish, but i recently found out they actually don't get along well, the midas and fire. with that being said, i was planning on getting rid of the dotty for a fire bc they cant go together since they have similar bodies, but since I'm probably not going to be able to do a firefish should i keep the dottyback? it has been pretty placid so far, hasn't caused any problems with my clown in the 5 months they were together. my future 40 G stocking list is a clown (the one i have rn), midas, cardinal, jawfish, some fairy/flasher wrasse. those are most likely confirmed for now. I would keep the dotty just it is extremely shy whenever people come over and i don't see it too often. Not sure if it would cause problems or if it wont come out. What is your opinion? Should i keep? thanks!

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks love caves and will make it their life's mission to find the ultimate cave. It sounds like you have a good one, so yeah - I'd keep it.
good one as in not aggressive like the other dottybacks you hear about? do you think it'll have any issues later on as it gets bigger with the other fish I am planning? thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good one as in not aggressive like the other dottybacks you hear about? do you think it'll have any issues later on as it gets bigger with the other fish I am planning? thanks!
I hear this all the time, but I had an orchid and he was only ever aggressive towards an indigo dottyback. The key I find with the kinds of fish that really crave and desire cave spelunking is to have lots of natural crevices, caves and burrows for them. "Barnacle hotels" are also very popular with both blennies and dottybacks.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear this all the time, but I had an orchid and he was only ever aggressive towards an indigo dottyback. The key I find with the kinds of fish that really crave and desire cave spelunking is to have lots of natural crevices, caves and burrows for them. "Barnacle hotels" are also very popular with both blennies and dottybacks.
ok then, ill look into keeping him. and my tank does have quite a lot of hiding spots for him and I plan on adding some barnacles later for my jawfish and midas later. thanks for your help!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a purple firefish in an Evo with two orchid dottybacks. The firefish was the dominant fish in the tank, and would playfully nip at the dottybacks if they showed too much sass. I lost the firefish to a bleach accident (the dottybacks survived) and replaced it with a mandarin, and all are doing well.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my orchid dottyback, it's definitely a pistol, it chases off the Pajama cardinals if they even side-eye in the general direction of the rockwork, lol but I wouldn't call it aggressive. It chases them, but it doesn't bite or ram them. Mine is super shy too, always sticking to the shadows and cave networks of the rock, which is another reason I find it hilarious with the PJ Cards, the dottyback is like a ninja and you never know when it will pop out. The clowns on the other hand are able to go wherever they want and the dottyback doesn't bother them, my worry is the two clowns themselves, the slightly larger one has taken over the BTA and won't let the smaller one anywhere near it, lol. When they're out in the open water they are fine together, but the BTA is untouchable as far as the larger clown is concerned, it will ram the other clown until it is far enough away. It's brutal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back