Orchid Dottybacks in pairs / groups

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree here, I believe fish should be kept in pairs where possible. Given a QT with a divider of some sort, the smallest individuals with an obvious size disparity, and some time, pairing dwarf angels should be straight forward.

Wittenrich's book has pages dedicated on how to keep dottyback pairs that are spawning regularly from killing each other. Orchids should not be considered the norm for dottybacks.
Yes, I wasn't trying to extrapolate that observation to any species other than orchid dottybacks.

You may well be right about dwarf angels, but I don't think I could source the livestock here to try it out. I have a keyhole and a multicolor, and I haven't seen any for sale in my "local" (ie. 1000km radius) market for the past year. I could probably source other individuals from Ontario, but "overnight" shipping is a myth (it takes three days on average), and that's a lot of stress to put on fish.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my orchid , always out with the fish - the six line and the orchid beef sometimes but nothing too crazy just makes him go into his cave

Attachments

• 533D5A4D-8F03-4B67-9450-5D024389812D.jpeg
    533D5A4D-8F03-4B67-9450-5D024389812D.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matthew’s book sys that the vast majority of Dottybacks are protogynous hermaphrodites. His section on angels (which I assume he talks about both large and dwarfs) also says that for the most part they’re protogynous hermaphrodites and advocates putting either 2 small individuals together (monitoring for aggression and with hiding spots) or 1 large and 1 small. The no-no is two medium or large specimens. He says if they’re ignoring each other or at least not trying to kill each other outright, chances are at least one is still a female.
Since he’s the co-founder of Poma Labs I think he’s a fairly authoritative source. As for the Orchid, I don’t think he mentions having bred them via a harem rather than a pair, I’m not sure if that implies they breed only in pairs.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree here, I believe fish should be kept in pairs where possible. Given a QT with a divider of some sort, the smallest individuals with an obvious size disparity, and some time, pairing dwarf angels should be straight forward.

Wittenrich's book has pages dedicated on how to keep dottyback pairs that are spawning regularly from killing each other. Orchids should not be considered the norm for dottybacks.
Agreed! You should always aim to keep your fish in pairs or social groups if possible (there are species wher it isn' possible and I usually avoid those). With some fish, especially those that don't change sex, it might be difficult but one should always try.

Dottybacks (same as hawkfish) are actually easy as they can change sex both ways. From my observations with Orchids, singles will always revert to females, even if you got them as males.
In the wild Orchids are found in harem groups, but for breeding a pair might be better.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matthew’s book sys that the vast majority of Dottybacks are protogynous hermaphrodites. His section on angels (which I assume he talks about both large and dwarfs) also says that for the most part they’re protogynous hermaphrodites and advocates putting either 2 small individuals together (monitoring for aggression and with hiding spots) or 1 large and 1 small. The no-no is two medium or large specimens. He says if they’re ignoring each other or at least not trying to kill each other outright, chances are at least one is still a female.
Since he’s the co-founder of Poma Labs I think he’s a fairly authoritative source. As for the Orchid, I don’t think he mentions having bred them via a harem rather than a pair, I’m not sure if that implies they breed only in pairs.
Orchids form harems in the wild. For breeding them in captivity pairs are better as just one egg ball will hatch more larvae than you can handle.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back