Order of introduction after clownfish

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a small question and I'd love to hear some other thoughts about this.

My Reefer 170 is now running for about half a year. About 2 months ago I introduced 2 Darwin Clownfish, with the idea they're pretty hardy which would be a good test.
They're doing great, swimming mostly around near the glass in the front and on the sides always hoping I'll drop some more food in.

I'd like to introduce some more fish. This is currently on my wishlist to add besides the clowns:
- Watchman Goby and Pistol shrimp pair
- Banggai cardinalfish
- Royal gramma

But since clowns can be a bit territorial (and they haven't settled yet for one spot) I'm actually a bit worried if adding the clownfish first was a smart move. What do you think? Could I still make this work?

Also, since I'm struggling to keep the NO3 and PO4 above zero I'm wondering if I could add 2 fishes at once (like to goby schrimp pair + banggai), instead of taking this with intervals of 2 or 3 weeks. Perfectly fine in doings things slowly, but I also think it may help to get my NO3 and PO4 up faster.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I have a small question and I'd love to hear some other thoughts about this.

My Reefer 170 is now running for about half a year. About 2 months ago I introduced 2 Darwin Clownfish, with the idea they're pretty hardy which would be a good test.
They're doing great, swimming mostly around near the glass in the front and on the sides always hoping I'll drop some more food in.

I'd like to introduce some more fish. This is currently on my wishlist to add besides the clowns:
- Watchman Goby and Pistol shrimp pair
- Banggai cardinalfish
- Royal gramma

But since clowns can be a bit territorial (and they haven't settled yet for one spot) I'm actually a bit worried if adding the clownfish first was a smart move. What do you think? Could I still make this work?

Also, since I'm struggling to keep the NO3 and PO4 above zero I'm wondering if I could add 2 fishes at once (like to goby schrimp pair + banggai), instead of taking this with intervals of 2 or 3 weeks. Perfectly fine in doings things slowly, but I also think it may help to get my NO3 and PO4 up faster.
Banggai
Goby/pistol
Gramma

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @vetteguy53081.

Do you think I could add the Goby/Pistol and the Banggai at once? Or would it be better to add them with a couple of weeks between them?
I agree with adding all of them at once. This will disperse aggression and should give the clowns a hard time to chose who to be aggressive to first.

vinvinaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything can be restarted, should the clownfish be the last to introduce? I think the goby and shrimp pair should be the first.

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with adding all of them at once. This will disperse aggression and should give the clowns a hard time to chose who to be aggressive to first.
That makes sense. With that in mind, should I also add the gramma with the others at once? So, basically all at once that are currently on my wishlist?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything can be restarted, should the clownfish be the last to introduce? I think the goby and shrimp pair should be the first.
Usually it's best to introduce your fish from least aggressive to the more territorial onces, so yes that would have been a better start. But I messed that up by starting with clowns. Dealing with that now, I'm trying to avoid any restarting or moving them temporarily to another tank if possible, just to avoid any (maybe unnecessary) stress.

vinvinaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it's best to introduce your fish from least aggressive to the more territorial onces, so yes that would have been a better start. But I messed that up by starting with clowns. Dealing with that now, I'm trying to avoid any restarting or moving them temporarily to another tank if possible, just to avoid any (maybe unnecessary) stress.
To be honest, I encountered the same in my previous tank as I thought clownfish is hardy for new tank environment. However, they (originally 5 then fight until 2 left) became the "best fighter" in the tank!

I am now planning for my new tank, so I will probably add goby+shrimp first.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added juvenile clowns first, then a royal gramma, sixline wrass ( a no no on most threads) diamond watchman gobie, and lastly a yellow tailed damsel in a smaller tank than yours and the all get along swimmingly ( pun intended)

deafasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be jerks at times, and if you add them one at a time they may pick on each one. That said, if you have the means to quarantine, I would qt the goby shrimp pair first, as you won't be able to run copper with them if you need to for the other fish. After they move from qt to the main tank I would qt the other two. If you are just adding everything to the main tank without a stop in a quarantine tank I would add them all at once.
Jeff

vinvinaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be jerks at times, and if you add them one at a time they may pick on each one. That said, if you have the means to quarantine, I would qt the goby shrimp pair first, as you won't be able to run copper with them if you need to for the other fish. After they move from qt to the main tank I would qt the other two. If you are just adding everything to the main tank without a stop in a quarantine tank I would add them all at once.
Jeff
Talking about the Goby pair... do we need to qt goby? If so, qt goby -> goby to main tank -> shrimp?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about the Goby pair... do we need to qt goby? If so, qt goby -> goby to main tank -> shrimp?
You could however, I personally don’t QT and haven’t for a while - Never come across an issue with it.
However if you were to QT I personally wouldn’t QT the goby, this is due to how touch they actually are to parasites and a healthy one can fight them off. Also, trying to find a lone pistol shrimp can be a nightmare so I would try to find an already established pair and then just put them straight into the tank.

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the fish last week. Unfortunately the LFS ordered the wrong pistol shrimp and the Royal Gramma wasn’t in stock as well. But they are ordered now so that shouldn’t take long.

The Banggai and Watchman Goby are doing great. No aggression whatsoever. (Fingers crossed) The Banggai and clownfish actually stick a lot together like he’s one of the family haha. Was a bit concerned about the Goby as he was really skittish and fading in color, but he slowly began to eat and each day I see some good progress. I think he’ll do great once I introduce him to his new buddy soon.

Also, I couldn’t help myself to bring a Tuxedo Urchin home as well!

vinvinaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the fish last week. Unfortunately the LFS ordered the wrong pistol shrimp and the Royal Gramma wasn’t in stock as well. But they are ordered now so that shouldn’t take long.

The Banggai and Watchman Goby are doing great. No aggression whatsoever. (Fingers crossed) The Banggai and clownfish actually stick a lot together like he’s one of the family haha. Was a bit concerned about the Goby as he was really skittish and fading in color, but he slowly began to eat and each day I see some good progress. I think he’ll do great once I introduce him to his new buddy soon.

Also, I couldn’t help myself to bring a Tuxedo Urchin home as well!
Good to hear. I always think if you can make the fist eat, they will at least have 60% - 70% chance to survive.

Just a week for my new tank and waiting for completion of N-cycle. Long wait...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back