Ornate Leopard Wrasse

AcanSamDC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the first point. Particularly leopard wrasse IME leopard wrasse, possum wrasse, and fairy/flasher wrasse do pretty terrible in barebones qt tanks ESPECIALLY medicated ones
My display is currently fallow due to velvet. I have two tangs (purple and white tail) in QT that survived the ordeal. Perhaps at the end of the fallow period I keep the tangs in QT and put a pair of leopards directly into the display? That way if they bring something in it doesn’t effect my tangs, which I can hold in QT an extra month until the leopards are happy. And if the leopards do come in with some ailment it doesn’t sound like they are likely to survive any treatment plan so just roll the dice with them but not expose my tangs to the risk?

Building the sand bed up slowly during the rest of my fallow period will give me something to do, lol.

Finally, I use emerald crabs for algae, peppermint shrimp for aiptasia, and have a pair of fire shrimp I love. Should I worry about these with leopards? I’m way more into coral these days then fish so would be quite happy focusing my fish efforts on a pair of leopards and my tangs, but just want to work through all my concerns.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is currently fallow due to velvet. I have two tangs (purple and white tail) in QT that survived the ordeal. Perhaps at the end of the fallow period I keep the tangs in QT and put a pair of leopards directly into the display? That way if they bring something in it doesn’t effect my tangs, which I can hold in QT an extra month until the leopards are happy. And if the leopards do come in with some ailment it doesn’t sound like they are likely to survive any treatment plan so just roll the dice with them but not expose my tangs to the risk?

Building the sand bed up slowly during the rest of my fallow period will give me something to do, lol.

Finally, I use emerald crabs for algae, peppermint shrimp for aiptasia, and have a pair of fire shrimp I love. Should I worry about these with leopards? I’m way more into coral these days then fish so would be quite happy focusing my fish efforts on a pair of leopards and my tangs, but just want to work through all my concerns.
Wrasse are far less likely to bring parasites like ich and velvet into your tank but are prone to intestinal parasites and flukes. I would give them two weeks of API general cure for safety.

I was in the no qt team for wrasse but after having an outbreak of velvet (from a tang) myself I’m not risking it anymore. Once wrasse are eating they are fine in something like copperpower but all forms of copper will add stress and potentially put fish off their food. If you are willing to do a full slow QT that may still be best but getting the wrasse eating and comfortable is the hardest thing with wrasse.

My general belief with wrasse is they are very sensitive the first month or two and then super hardy after that.

@Crabby48 is very successful with wrasse qt if he’s around

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are far less likely to bring parasites like ich and velvet into your tank but are prone to intestinal parasites and flukes. I would give them two weeks of API general cure for safety.

I was in the no qt team for wrasse but after having an outbreak of velvet (from a tang) myself I’m not risking it anymore. Once wrasse are eating they are fine in something like copperpower but all forms of copper will add stress and potentially put fish off their food. If you are willing to do a full slow QT that may still be best but getting the wrasse eating and comfortable is the hardest thing with wrasse.

My general belief with wrasse is they are very sensitive the first month or two and then super hardy after that.

@Crabby48 is very successful with wrasse qt if he’s around
Agree with this. Wrasse can still pickup free swimmers and ich/velvet will hide in the gills of wrasse. Less chance of a wrasse bringing in ich/velvet but can happen.
It you qt let them settle and watch how they act. Treat with prazi or what ever you choice is in meds. Once they complete that treatment you can start copper power. Wrasse mostly will be ok with copper power once they settle in and eat good. The 3rd or 4th week of copper is when I see some start to struggle. I keep copper at 2.3-2.5 and sometimes higher. I mostly only copper wrasse for 2-3 weeks if I dont see a problem. I have kept some at 2.7 for 4 weeks because they were in qt with infected tang.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back