Orphek OR Series Light Bars

alexiowa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple stylo was just sitting there and then I added the 120 Uv and then it exploded with growth. I just ordered the blue sky and will mount both bars to my ATI 8 bulb. If I did it over again I'd have three bars over my aquarium or two atlantik v4's if money wasn't an issue. The one thing I don't like is that I'm going to have to drill into the ati fixture. Good thing I'm not changing my mind on these bars.

APC_0321.JPG

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering adding another reef daylight to the uv & blue sky for full led and losing t5. Hmmm, thoughts?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering adding another reef daylight to the uv & blue sky for full led and losing t5. Hmmm, thoughts?

All the best wholesalers in the world are straight LED for a reason. It's growth and color. They could write off Halides as a business expense so it's not about the power bill. It's about growth, and color.

Yesteryear, LED's were "what if", but not that long ago people thought T5's would never be capable of sustaining SPS and the technology improved. Likewise, LED's are improving yearly.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same thing I’m in the Process of doing. I have the sky blue and uv. Plan to order the reef day this week. I have a feeling I will need another sky blue to get the color I want though. This will replace my anti 6 bulb t5 setup. I only wish they offered disable ballast. Maybe in the future.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded my reef lights I was on the fence between Orphek and Radion's. I went with the Radion because it would network with my reeflink but I really wanted to try the Orphek because of the great things I have heard about their spectrum and even coverage. So, when it came time to upgrade my lights on my freshwater tank I contacted them. My previous lights were by Beamworks and just took up too much space. I told them what I wanted, what my par readings were, and the importance of even light and spectrum blend. They recommended 3 freshwater light bars with a 60 degree lens. I confirmed all my requests and went with exactly what they suggested. I was excited to have a killer lighting system to start moving toward a cleaner look. Check out the results. The first image is the old Beamworks and the second is the new Orphek's.
beamworks.jpeg
This is the Orphek below (same camera same settings). What do you think? Upgrade? Total and even coverage? I am just really disappointed. None of the things I asked for. Par readings from 50 to 160. Definitely not an upgrade.
Orphek.jpeg

I emailed the sales person James, some images as well as par readings of 160 in the bright yellow areas and 50 in the corners. I pointed out the lack of color mixing. I asked him if this is really what I should expect and what I needed to do to get the coverage I was promised. He told me that he didn't see a problem and that the carpet was going to look great when it grew in. I felt pretty much blown off. I wrote back with more detailed photos and explanations. No word yet. I am interested to see if this is really the best they can do. More so, if they are even willing to address the issue now that they have my money.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded my reef lights I was on the fence between Orphek and Radion's. I went with the Radion because it would network with my reeflink but I really wanted to try the Orphek because of the great things I have heard about their spectrum and even coverage. So, when it came time to upgrade my lights on my freshwater tank I contacted them. My previous lights were by Beamworks and just took up too much space. I told them what I wanted, what my par readings were, and the importance of even light and spectrum blend. They recommended 3 freshwater light bars with a 60 degree lens. I confirmed all my requests and went with exactly what they suggested. I was excited to have a killer lighting system to start moving toward a cleaner look. Check out the results. The first image is the old Beamworks and the second is the new Orphek's.
beamworks.jpeg
This is the Orphek below (same camera same settings). What do you think? Upgrade? Total and even coverage? I am just really disappointed. None of the things I asked for. Par readings from 50 to 160. Definitely not an upgrade.
Orphek.jpeg

I emailed the sales person James, some images as well as par readings of 160 in the bright yellow areas and 50 in the corners. I pointed out the lack of color mixing. I asked him if this is really what I should expect and what I needed to do to get the coverage I was promised. He told me that he didn't see a problem and that the carpet was going to look great when it grew in. I felt pretty much blown off. I wrote back with more detailed photos and explanations. No word yet. I am interested to see if this is really the best they can do. More so, if they are even willing to address the issue now that they have my money.
What color (in person) is the background behind the tank? To me it looks like the top picture is nature under a cool white light and the bottom picture is nature under sunlight.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
primer grey
Then I think the bottom picture has a better color rendition. I can tell the correct color of the background (grey) in the bottom picture. What are the tank dimensions? How high do you have the lights mounted above the surface? How far apart are the lights from one another? I have two orphek bars about 3 inches apart, 9 inches above the surface. One 430-480nm, the other reef daylight, both with 90 degree lenses. The blending is not happening so I got another blue to even it out. I think you made a smart choice by going with one spectrum, I notice some LEDs may not be blending at the top back but at the bottom it seems like the blending is good.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color (in person) is the background behind the tank? To me it looks like the top picture is nature under a cool white light and the bottom picture is nature under sunlight.
I guess the bottom picture looks to me more like a lot of vertical color bands that might blend together to make natural sunlight. Color blending, and consistent coverage were the promise before purchase. Here is the color shown on a white wall at 30 inches away (which is what we had agreed on as the total height from the bottom of the tank). I am sure that one of those colors is natural sunlight.
color pattern.jpeg

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I think the bottom picture has a better color rendition. I can tell the correct color of the background (grey) in the bottom picture. What are the tank dimensions? How high do you have the lights mounted above the surface? How far apart are the lights from one another? I have two orphek bars about 3 inches apart, 9 inches above the surface. One 430-480nm, the other reef daylight, both with 90 degree lenses. The blending is not happening so I got another blue to even it out. I think you made a smart choice by going with one spectrum, I notice some LEDs may not be blending at the top back but at the bottom it seems like the blending is good.
The tank is 24" high. The lights are mounted a foot above that. Thanks for the feedback. Seeing it live looks different. If you compare it to the other photo you can see how modeled and primarily yellow the carpet is under the Orphek. We discussed tank height, mounting height, and color mixing by email several times before I ordered the light, so I am not sure how there could have been any confusion in that regard. I have tried all kinds of different spacing but for some reason I cant get much light the glass. I lifted them to 24 inches above the tank and got a little better light mixing but still not getting par in the corners or against the glass.

When I shine the light against a white wall then it is at about 65 inches that the color banding is not as noticeable but the ends are still fading to blue regardless. Who knows what par values would be with if I could mount them that much higher than the tank.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the bottom picture looks to me more like a lot of vertical color bands that might blend together to make natural sunlight. Color blending, and consistent coverage were the promise before purchase. Here is the color shown on a white wall at 30 inches away (which is what we had agreed on as the total height from the bottom of the tank). I am sure that one of those colors is natural sunlight.
color pattern.jpeg
Are those 120s? Looking at the freshwater LED layout, it seems that the 60 and 90 wouldn't leave you with so much blue on the ends as you have. The 6300K on the ends of the 90 and 60 would be nice in your situation. What are your tank dimensions? I wonder why 60 degree lenses were suggested as that definitely isn't helping. Perhaps the idea was to have the bars mounted further apart with the 60 degree lenses since even lighting was requested but unless that tank is over 24 inches front to back, you could have the three bars 6 inches apart from one another with 90 degree lenses and it'd probably look just fine. Have you asked about getting the lenses swapped out so the LEDs are more blended?

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those 120s? Looking at the freshwater LED layout, it seems that the 60 and 90 wouldn't leave you with so much blue on the ends as you have. The 6300K on the ends of the 90 and 60 would be nice in your situation. What are your tank dimensions? I wonder why 60 degree lenses were suggested as that definitely isn't helping. Perhaps the idea was to have the bars mounted further apart with the 60 degree lenses since even lighting was requested but unless that tank is over 24 inches front to back, you could have the three bars 6 inches apart from one another with 90 degree lenses and it'd probably look just fine. Have you asked about getting the lenses swapped out so the LEDs are more blended?
They are 120's. The tank is 48 long and 24x24. I did some math and was unsure of the lens angle, but they assured me that they would all be a single smooth color by the time it hit the ground and that there was a bonus of keeping most of the light off of the glass and preventing algae growth.

I don't understand the color layout either. I had no idea how they were going to get the colors to blend when they were so far apart, but with all the great reviews and the company telling me it is no problem I just figured I should trust them to do what they do best.

Orphek

Orphek- Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Orphek produact page

OR 120, 90 & 60 – Freshwater Planted
The Full Spectrum Day Light -7000K (380nm- 750nm )
11BA9B5D-6BF2-4144-903A-12ACD6E0E9D3.jpeg
0544BDE8-81D6-42B2-B905-CDEB5525B9B6.jpeg

First picture light not by Orphek have low CRI unattural look blue and cold look . Poor spectrum.
Second picture light under Orphek . Vivid color fish look at thy natutal color . The rock look natural and not greenas I. The first picture. And the hemianthus callitrichoides look natural and not fack green

Orphek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hang the units higher to bland more the colors , this is LEDs . Single point of color .

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hang the units higher to bland more the colors , this is LEDs . Single point of color .
I am sure that is an option. However the PAR value decreases as the fixture is raised. Your sales team assured me that there would be an even color blend when mounted at 12" as well as very even par values above 110 all the way into the corners. I followed their exact recommendations. There should be no need for adjustment. Here is a photo of the color blend 36 inches on a white background. (6" higher than the distance that was planned from the light to the bottom of my tank.) It makes it easier to see the yellow to pink band of light that fall on my black lava rock. Tell me, is one of these colors the promised 7000K?
color pattern.jpeg

It was not until 60" that the color became homogenous, but still blue on the ends. That height would put the lights in my ceiling and as they are now only 50 PAR in the corners, I cant imagine how low it would be if moved an additional 24" away. I really like the look and feel of your lights, but the ones I received do not seem to have the performance that was promised. Reading back a few posts it would appear that others are having similar experiences.

Orphek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.36.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.39.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.34.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.38.05 AM.png

Orphek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.33.13 AM.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back