Orphek pr156 plus T5 build

Steveowhits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once upon a time I won an Orphek pr156+UV at a Columbia, SC coral show. The 24" fixture from Orphek was a huge blessing and a small curse. I had no prior LED experience and quickly started burning corals. I paid Orphek $100 and the company sent me a dimmable ballast to swap in my light.

The LED light was now tameable. I invested in a par meter and started dialing in. I was getting growth but was never happy with the Orphek color scheme on my light. A second issue I had was that my tank size had grown out of the 24" fixtures range. I contacted Orphek again and they told me I could swap LED colors for an additional 200 plus shipping. I decided instead of spending the money on an LED gamble I would add a t5 fixture to enhance my 24" Orphek led light.

I Bought a cheap 8 bulb t5 on eBay for 120. The fixture had crappy bulbs so I spent about $50 more on 4 nicer bulbs from Drs.foster and smith. I removed the bulb set and reflectors...
image.jpg
I cut out holes for the exhaust fans and the 8 Orphek bolts. I decided to attach my Orphek light directly to the thick metal that composed the t5 fixture's shell for a stable build.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I cut the reflector with extra space to allow the light from the LEd to pass and air flow. I stuck 6 out of the original 8 t5 bulbs back in. I had to cut and move some brackets.
image.jpg

The finished product is amazing for the $$$.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Steveowhits

Steveowhits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures from the build. Thanks to my buddy Joe Miles for his help.

Orphek guts..
image.jpg

Reflector cutting with tin snips, dangerous
image.jpg

Mounting wires like stunt work...
image.jpg

Dog in charge of holding ladder
image.jpg

My 80 gallon rimless....
image.jpg

Sorry about sideways pictures, I wrote this on a phone and can't change it.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back