Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody

Curretly i have a problem with ostreopsis, i bought a uv sterelizer and the ostreopsis was reduced currentrly i only can se the ostreopsis in the sand And i cant eliminate it.
My nitrates are around 100 ppm and phosphates in .21 ppm.

do you have some recomendation? My chaeto doesn’t grow up and I started to add nithaphos minus again but the parameters don’t be reduced. Should i remove All the sand?
Should I increase more the nutrients or reduce it?
please help me

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody

Curretly i have a problem with ostreopsis, i bought a uv sterelizer and the ostreopsis was reduced currentrly i only can se the ostreopsis in the sand And i cant eliminate it.
My nitrates are around 100 ppm and phosphates in .21 ppm.

do you have some recomendation? My chaeto doesn’t grow up and I started to add nithaphos minus again but the parameters don’t be reduced. Should i remove All the sand?
Should I increase more the nutrients or reduce it?
please help me

What test kit are you using? 100 is very high!

Large water changes will help.
What are you using for nutrient export?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A properly sized (1 watt per 3 gallons) using slow flow (<=300GPH) will usually do the trick on ostreopsis.

Ostreopsis is often accompanied and or replaced by other dinos: coolia, procentrum, amphidinium that do not respond as well.

I guess you should confirm a couple things:
a) The UV is sized and flowing correctly. And the bulb is less than 12 months old.
b) Get a sample of the stringy brown stuff under a microscope. Any cheap hobby grade is fine. Post a video to this thread and tag @taricha as he is the dino ID authority. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

OP
OP
L

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? 100 is very high!

Large water changes will help.
What are you using for nutrient export?
Hello
Im using salifert I will try with other test
I have skimmer with ozone, uv lamp, live rock, 2 bio plates to nitrites and 1 for nitrates by brightwell aquatics and 1 big plate of marine pure, a small alga scrubber and a chaeto algae but it doesn’t grow
A properly sized (1 watt per 3 gallons) using slow flow (<=300GPH) will usually do the trick on ostreopsis.

Ostreopsis is often accompanied and or replaced by other dinos: coolia, procentrum, amphidinium that do not respond as well.

I guess you should confirm a couple things:
a) The UV is sized and flowing correctly. And the bulb is less than 12 months old.
b) Get a sample of the stringy brown stuff under a microscope. Any cheap hobby grade is fine. Post a video to this thread and tag @taricha as he is the dino ID authority. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

Hello!! Thanks
my uv is a jebao 55watts and the flow is 270GPH and i changed the bulb at oct 6th.

this are the video that I took from the sand, I can see some differences from the original test that i took two months ag

Attachments

• IMG_5013.MOV
    34 MB
  • IMG_5011.MOV
    21.4 MB
  • IMG_5016.MOV
    34.4 MB

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK how many gallons are you running against the 55 watts?

Sorry, but those don't look like ostreopsis to me. Looks like some blend of amphidinium and either coolia or procentrum, but I am not the ID guy. I say "sorry" because ostreopsis are relatively easy. The others are a bit more work sometimes.

If you don't get feedback here from @taricha then repost over at https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

That taricha guy is super busy over there.

OP
OP
L

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, but those don't look like ostreopsis to me. Looks like some blend of amphidinium and either coolia or procentrum, but I am not the ID guy. I say "sorry" because ostreopsis are relatively easy. The others are a bit more work sometimes.

If you don't get feedback here from @taricha then repost over at https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

Yes, in the beginning was Ostreopsis, I had videos but currently look different.

OP
OP
L

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This are my old videos and as you can see looks very different

Attachments

• IMG_1894.MOV
    19.6 MB
  • IMG_1902.MOV
    8.8 MB
  • IMG_1909.MOV
    17.4 MB
Back