Our Cade Reef 1500 S2

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to ensure you don’t put me in the “experienced reefer category. I had a 25g for 18 months prior to the Cade

Ireally like the Reefi lights. Way more par than I need at this time. I measured using a Parwise meter and had over 230 par at the top of my aquascape running the default SPS program at 50%. I have had no issues with them and I like the interface.

I haven’t had to change the roll on the ClariSea yet. Barely 50% through. I also run a Octo Essence protein skimmer. I had to put it on a platform to get the depth correct and took about 2 weeks to break in. IMG_8795.jpeg
My bioload is middle of the road- 4”+ Gem Tang, 2”+Powder Blue Tang, 2 clowns, yellow diamond goby, Royal Gramma, Bangaii cardinal and a small flasher wrasse. My NO4 is steady .12-17 & PO3 .02-.05 for the last 2 months. No nuisance algae and corraline algae really spreading in the last 2 weeks. (I used “dry rock”).
Another question (sorry)
Did you remove all the filter sock brackets to mount your roller and where (exactly) did you put your skimmer? Now that I have the stand in front of me I can finally get my head around all of this, but don't want to F anything up...lol

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question (sorry)
Did you remove all the filter sock brackets to mount your roller and where (exactly) did you put your skimmer? Now that I have the stand in front of me I can finally get my head around all of this, but don't want to F anything up...lol
Not sure it’s the best way, but this has worked for me. Yes, I removed the filter sock brackets.

IMG_8849.jpeg IMG_8850.jpeg IMG_8851.jpeg IMG_8852.jpeg
IMG_8853.jpeg

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for fish a couple fish from Dr. Reef so let’s do cable management and install the Hydros X.
B53BCD06-11BE-4A42-9D64-2E63F9424615.jpeg
0B936188-B5C3-4208-A9BF-2C2FD5C230B3.jpeg
Hey Kevin...how do you like the Hydros X? Recommend it?? I have gotten a lot of advice from different folks about which system to get: Hydros or Neptune, and I am torn. My LFS folks (the ones who will be helping me maintain this system when I'm out of town) are huge Hydros fans (and NOT Neptune fanboys in the least). If it were totally up to me, I'd probably go with the Neptune, but I want the folks that are working on this thing and helping me out with it (when I'm not here) to at least be familiar with and confinement with the system I'm running. I dang sure don't want them to tell me "well you're out of luck." Or "I told you so" when something goes wrong...LOL. I know they are both good systems and as I build my equipment infrastructure, I have unfortunately gone from a goal of having a very homogenous equipment fleet to being all over the place (with regards to being able to work off as few apps as possible) due to either fitment or dependability.

Also, where is your 'fuge located? I can't see it in the pics (or I'm missing it).

Unfortunately, I'm not really buying the cheapest stuff… Lol and the price tag for this bill has already exceeded what I thought would be my basic equipment costs and I still haven't even bought my return pump or my powerheads! Oh well, you only live once.

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kevin...how do you like the Hydros X? Recommend it?? I have gotten a lot of advice from different folks about which system to get: Hydros or Neptune, and I am torn. My LFS folks (the ones who will be helping me maintain this system when I'm out of town) are huge Hydros fans (and NOT Neptune fanboys in the least). If it were totally up to me, I'd probably go with the Neptune, but I want the folks that are working on this thing and helping me out with it (when I'm not here) to at least be familiar with and confinement with the system I'm running. I dang sure don't want them to tell me "well you're out of luck." Or "I told you so" when something goes wrong...LOL. I know they are both good systems and as I build my equipment infrastructure, I have unfortunately gone from a goal of having a very homogenous equipment fleet to being all over the place (with regards to being able to work off as few apps as possible) due to either fitment or dependability.

Also, where is your 'fuge located? I can't see it in the pics (or I'm missing it).

Unfortunately, I'm not really buying the cheapest stuff… Lol and the price tag for this bill has already exceeded what I thought would be my basic equipment costs and I still haven't even bought my return pump or my powerheads! Oh well, you only live once.
I like the Hydros because it’s easy to program. There are also lots of YouTube series on how to set up different schedules, etc. I use the pH probe and check the graph daily. I am dosing All-for-Reef so I like the built in pumps as well. I haven’t even begun to take advantage of all the available features.
Below is where I have the refugium. Using an AI Prime from my previous tank.
The $$ add up quickly
IMG_8853.jpeg
IMG_8852.jpeg

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Hydros because it’s easy to program. There are also lots of YouTube series on how to set up different schedules, etc. I use the pH probe and check the graph daily. I am dosing All-for-Reef so I like the built in pumps as well. I haven’t even begun to take advantage of all the available features.
The $$ add up quickly
IMG_8853.jpeg
IMG_8852.jpeg
Aha...so in the thin space between the roller and the skimmer? I was thinking about siliconing a pane of glass in the large box and putting the 'fuge in the space just downstream of the skimmer....my head just keeps spinning! LOL

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $$ add up quickly
IMG_8853.jpeg
IMG_8852.jpeg
Been doing a little "fitmet" work on the Cade...dang this UltraReef Typhoon UKD 200 is Gi-NORMOUS!! LOL. If I do a refugeum, it's going to have to be in a 5 gallon bucket or a separate tank… No joke, there is simply no room at the inn.

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing a little "fitmet" work on the Cade...dang this UltraReef Typhoon UKD 200 is Gi-NORMOUS!! LOL. If I do a refugeum, it's going to have to be in a 5 gallon bucket or a separate tank… No joke, there is simply no room at the inn.
Need to start that build thread and share it with me. I would like to see how you solve the problems and make it your own.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to start that build thread and share it with me. I would like to see how you solve the problems and make it your own.
IMG_8585.jpeg

Meant to attach this photo earlier...must've been the rum that got in the way! LOL
I'm gonna start the build thread soon was just waiting to have something tangible...I'm there!
By the way, I used the picture of your SK 5000 to show me that I had done mine exactly bass bass-akwards… I followed the directions in the instruction manual, but that didn't cut it for our Cade. I disassembled it and remade it like yours, and it fits like a glove! Thank you brother.

Last edited:

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another quick question for you Kevin. Where did you mount the drivers (ballasts) for the ReeFi Unos? I hear they get quite warm and I am trying to figure out where I want to put them. Tank comes in the house on the 15th. Yay

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another quick question for you Kevin. Where did you mount the drivers (ballasts) for the ReeFi Unos? I hear they get quite warm and I am trying to figure out where I want to put them. Tank comes in the house on the 15th. Yay
IMG_8995.jpeg
IMG_8994.jpeg

They get warm to the touch but never hot.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother! I am mounting a bunch of my stuff behind the aquarium on the wall of our pantry. My wife is about to lose her mind, but honestly, she's been a pretty good sport about it. That said, I'm seriously about to lose my mind though.. lol.

In this picture, the LED driver is just sitting on the bottom of the cabinet… As I try to figure out where I'm going to put it and it's two little brothers!

IMG_9018.jpeg

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother! I am mounting a bunch of my stuff behind the aquarium on the wall of our pantry. My wife is about to lose her mind, but honestly, she's been a pretty good sport about it. That said, I'm seriously about to lose my mind though.. lol.

In this picture, the LED driver is just sitting on the bottom of the cabinet… As I try to figure out where I'm going to put it and it's two little brothers!

IMG_9018.jpeg
Looks clean! Did you get the extension cable(s) for the Reefi lights? I needed it for my light furthest from the dry side cabinet

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure it’s the best way, but this has worked for me. Yes, I removed the filter sock brackets.

IMG_8849.jpeg IMG_8850.jpeg IMG_8851.jpeg IMG_8852.jpeg
IMG_8853.jpeg
Kevin, what type of fitting did you use to plumb in your felt roller filter to the main drain line? And where did you get it?? I looked all over the place today around me and couldn't find what I needed to plumb it... and I have heard other people talking about metric pipe sizes and what not

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin, what type of fitting did you use to plumb in your felt roller filter to the main drain line? And where did you get it?? I looked all over the place today around me and couldn't find what I needed to plumb it... and I have heard other people talking about metric pipe sizes and what not
Sorry, I’ve been trying to find my notes on it. I think 30mm but I do not remember. It took some trial and error. I will get under there this AM and see if I can find any markings

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’ve been trying to find my notes on it. I think 30mm but I do not remember. It took some trial and error. I will get under there this AM and see if I can find any markings
Don't trouble yourself. It's a 32 mm opening...which will (roughly) accept 1 inch pipe, but trying to run down metric plumbing parts in Brevard county Florida has been KILLING me! I wish I would've had this planned out (better) because now my tank is just sitting in my dining room waiting to be plumbed and I will have to wait until parts come which (if I don't want a bunch of different colors) won't be here till April 30th. dang!

Since my aquarium will be pushed back into the wall alcove approximately 20 inches, I will not have access to my side doors, which means I need to situate and plumb the roller filter towards the front so I can have easier access for roll changes and whatnot,

We are going to Belize for 10 days of diving and I was hoping to be cycling the tank while we were gone, but that's out the window. Oh well, at least I won't have my bro in law calling me up telling me I have aquarium issues while we are gone...lol.

Thanks Kevin

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will look great in a recess. What is your plan for lights? Will you plumb in a fill pipe for the ATO or is there room to get at it?
Enjoy your dive trip! I’m jealous. I was going to get dive certified 30 years ago stationed in Okinawa and then a money sucking bundle of joy interrupted all those plans Lol! I just do a lot of snorkeling when we travel. Post some pics.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will look great in a recess. What is your plan for lights? Will you plumb in a fill pipe for the ATO or is there room to get at it?
Enjoy your dive trip! I’m jealous. I was going to get dive certified 30 years ago stationed in Okinawa and then a money sucking bundle of joy interrupted all those plans Lol! I just do a lot of snorkeling when we travel. Post some pics.
As far as lights go, I have the three ReeFi Unos that I'm mounting on a rail.

I have a salt water mixing station that I've begun building in the garage that I'm going to be rigging up for auto water changes. It's still a work in progress!! Heck, it seems like this is a continual work in progress! Luckily my wife is a goodie and hasn't totally freaked out yet...lol.

I also plan on having RO water coming in from the mixing station to fill the ATO. Again, a work in-progress.

Attachments

• IMG_8734.jpeg
    IMG_8734.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 4

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back