Outdoor Patio Reef Tank

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool knowing someone is trying this! I was thinking about putting one outside but was really concerned with:

1. Temperature fluctuations. We get 30's to 95's F here
2. algae concerns seeing that it will be exposed to a lot of light even in the shade
3. foreign object getting into a rimless: bugs, leaves, ashes from BBQ and food particles of same. That close to sink maybe even soap. Even if screened, I get unwanted objects due to young children leaving doors open and playing outside.

I live in Louisiana and subjected to hurricanes.

Keep updating your progression with these tanks. It is very cool and I am still wondering if I could tackle this idea.

Love it!

OP
OP
Rick Ginn

Rick Ginn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow Floridian, i pray that you have a plan in place for a hurricane... .Unique idea, no doubt. Not something i would have the stomach do though. Ive thought about putting a 55 gallon outside and making a Inter-coastal Waterway aquarium; consisting of species of fish/ and plants i encounter on my boat when im fishing or just cruising along the ICW. but i don't think i would put corals that costs money in there. I would never sleep!!! Best of luck with this!
been through 3 hurricanes, I have rolldown shutters that drops down in 1 minute sealing off my patio reef tank area along with a back up chiller, back up pumps and a dedicated generator with a holding tank of 70gallons of gas. I didn't go into this lightly, consulted alot of seasoned reef tank professioanls.

OP
OP
Rick Ginn

Rick Ginn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool knowing someone is trying this! I was thinking about putting one outside but was really concerned with:

1. Temperature fluctuations. We get 30's to 95's F here
2. algae concerns seeing that it will be exposed to a lot of light even in the shade
3. foreign object getting into a rimless: bugs, leaves, ashes from BBQ and food particles of same. That close to sink maybe even soap. Even if screened, I get unwanted objects due to young children leaving doors open and playing outside.

I live in Louisiana and subjected to hurricanes.

Keep updating your progression with these tanks. It is very cool and I am still wondering if I could tackle this idea.

Love it!
Heare you, we rarely get below 55 degees, and max patio temp is around 86 in the shade, it's manageable with a good chiller(s) and 2 heaters. I have a screened in patio along with a glass top cover to minimize bugs/debris.

OP
OP
Rick Ginn

Rick Ginn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking the same thing. I know I spent more time inside than outside when I lived in south Florida.
I lived on the intercostal so bugs wasn’t too bad but I would image bugs would be an issue too most places. Big bugs
Great tank and outdoor kitchen! What state are you in? Here in SC it'd be quite a challenge keeping bugs and pollen out of it.
Patio is screened in tight

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this is an awesome build and have been thinking of something similar when i move soon (also in south Florida!) following along for the journey!

OP
OP
Rick Ginn

Rick Ginn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/20 Update of Display Tank
IMG_3300.jpg
IMG_3297.jpg

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to be your neighbor !!!

Even living in Orlando,I would NEVER try and keep a tank outside lol. You have do an absolutely amazing job though. It surely needs more of an update and pics.
i agree! lol Rick feel free to move that beauty next door to me any time!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back