Outside air pipe feed to skimmer

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was reading this post as I m also looking put an outside air pipe feed to my skimmer I m just not sure where it goes to on my skimmer. If anyone could help that would be great (see photo) can I take the blue pipe off and go directly into where I marked “2”? Or do I feed it in the red cap in “1”
Thanks
9A9845DD-D484-4CD6-9E8E-A7B229637ACC.jpeg

7B25D3C4-3572-4D93-B784-23E064679D5B.jpeg

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go straight into 2. The red pipe is a drain pipe/Ozone feed. Right now it goes from the silencer to the venturi but you don't really need the silencer if you feed from outside. Just remember to have some filter material and carbon if you're running from outside.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is why would you want to do this? I have a lifereef skimmer and they pull air from the collection cup into the skimmer. Creates a closed loop that keeps all odors inside the skimmer. Having the air pull from ‘outside‘ can only either create ways for odor to escape or stuff to get inside. There is a quick release when you want to remove and clean the collection cup. Easy.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is why would you want to do this? I have a lifereef skimmer and they pull air from the collection cup into the skimmer. Creates a closed loop that keeps all odors inside the skimmer. Having the air pull from ‘outside‘ can only either create ways for odor to escape or stuff to get inside. There is a quick release when you want to remove and clean the collection cup. Easy.
The reason people draw in air from outside is to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in their water which will raise their pH. Usually if you are recirculating air from the collection cup that is used with a CO2 scrubber, which is also a way to reduce CO2 in the tank and raise pH.
They don't have anything to do with odor as far as I know.

OP
OP
Croftsy

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go straight into 2. The red pipe is a drain pipe/Ozone feed. Right now it goes from the silencer to the venturi but you don't really need the silencer if you feed from outside. Just remember to have some filter material and carbon if you're running from outside.
Thanks I thought 2 would be the better option more direct I just didn’t know if that small air compartment was used for anything else. As it’s on the sump inside a cupboard don’t get good fresh air so my ph is low and read doing this will hopefully raise my ph. Yeah I won’t forget the carbon and filter

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back