Overkill for Fluval 13.5?

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I plan on keeping a mixed reef with a clownfish and ywg/pistol shrimp pair. I am just wondering if the items I have currently purchased are overkill for sustaining a functional nano reef build, and of course some additional questions.

I have:

Sicce 1.0 return pump (I was wondering if I should get a RFG or keep the stock duck bill?)

Sicce nano wave maker

AI Prime 16HD with the 90degree mount (any suggestions on optimal light settings for this particular tank?)

Aqua Shield nano UV sterilizer that I was planning on swapping out with the middle foam piece.

InTank Media basket loaded up w crushed live rock from my LFS and the marine pure gems, in addition to the 15 gallons worth of chemi pure/filter floss in the top trays.

You guys can probably tell this is my first saltwater tank lol. But I was in the freshwater hobby for years but am now making the switch. Any additional information about this build specifically would be greatly appreciated!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ditch the UV. Spend that money on pre QT'd fish or a QT setup for yourself. I would also not use live rock from lfs unless its in its own system separate from everything else. You'd be better off buying a pinch of sand or rock from aquabiomics (sign up for the mailing list). I would also just run bituminous or rox carbon and not chemipure. You can add a pinch of gfo if need be.

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ditch the UV. Spend that money on pre QT'd fish or a QT setup for yourself. I would also not use live rock from lfs unless its in its own system separate from everything else. You'd be better off buying a pinch of sand or rock from aquabiomics (sign up for the mailing list). I would also just run bituminous or rox carbon and not chemipure. You can add a pinch of gfo if need
I would ditch the UV. Spend that money on pre QT'd fish or a QT setup for yourself. I would also not use live rock from lfs unless its in its own system separate from everything else. You'd be better off buying a pinch of sand or rock from aquabiomics (sign up for the mailing list). I would also just run bituminous or rox carbon and not chemipure. You can add a pinch of gfo if need be.
I appreciate the quick reply! I have already purchased everything I listed including the UV. I can do without any of those products if that is the consensus. The live rock was purchased from a live rock only ‘pond display’ that they run saltwater through and keep the lights on the pile. I just got the crushed rubble. My LFS has premium quarantined fish which I purchased one of as well - percula clown in the tank now for 8 days w Dr Tims 1 and only. I should add that I purched Carib sea live sand/rock for my display rocks and nutri water “live water”.

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV and media basket not a necessity IMO. If I had to sep up my Evo again I would get a skimmer after 3-4 months.
Yeah, I did quite a bit of research before purchasing all of this and heard that the nano protein skimmers are essentially useless.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I did quite a bit of research before purchasing all of this and heard that the nano protein skimmers are essentially useless.
That’s what my research said too and that’s why I didn’t get one. Everyone said you don’t need it. But I wasn’t doing enough water changes and after a while my water wasn’t so great and my corals weren’t thriving.

When I put them in my bigger tank with a skimmer, they started growing. Until I had other problems but that’s another story…

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what my research said too and that’s why I didn’t get one. Everyone said you don’t need it. But I wasn’t doing enough water changes and after a while my water wasn’t so great and my corals weren’t thriving.

When I put them in my bigger tank with a skimmer, they started growing. Until I had other problems but that’s another story…
Yeah I’ve seen people have a lot of success w treating dinos/pest algae w the UV sterilizer so I figured that paired with an InTank media chamber in C1 would suffice over the traditional skimmer. I have yet to put it in though as I haven’t seen any signs of the aforementioned.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Eshopps Nano skimmer in all my Nano's they are amazing. I can’t remember if it fits in the evo. Just do not buy the Fluval unless you are just using it for gas exchange, you will never be able to tune it. Also if you are using the sicce 1.0 you can use the @Vivid Creative Aquatics RFG

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Eshopps Nano skimmer in all my Nano's they are amazing. I can’t remember if it fits in the evo. Just do not buy the Fluval unless you are just using it for gas exchange, you will never be able to tune it. Also if you are using the sicce 1.0 you can use the @Vivid Creative Aquatics RFG
Do you know if that VCA RFG snap directly onto the stock dual duck bill power head ‘loc lines’?
Would the RFG paired with the sicce 1.0 be too much flow for the tank on top of the wave maker?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve seen people have a lot of success w treating dinos/pest algae w the UV sterilizer so I figured that paired with an InTank media chamber in C1 would suffice over the traditional skimmer. I have yet to put it in though as I haven’t seen any signs of the aforementioned.
Not all dinos are treatable with UV sterilizers. I’ve had one kind that was, and another that wasn’t.

But honestly if you have the money a UV is nice to have. It’s good for some types of dinos, algae, ick and others. Just be aware you might not use it for a long time. Or even never use it.

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all dinos are treatable with UV sterilizers. I’ve had one kind that was, and another that wasn’t.

But honestly if you have the money a UV is nice to have. It’s good for some types of dinos, algae, ick and others. Just be aware you might not use it for a long time. Or even never use it.
So do you suggest using it on an ‘as-need’ basis? I already bought it I think it was only like $60-70. If it won’t be in there all the time what do you suggest for the second chamber? The fluval foam block thing has to go.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you suggest using it on an ‘as-need’ basis? I already bought it I think it was only like $60-70. If it won’t be in there all the time what do you suggest for the second chamber? The fluval foam block thing has to go.
Yes, only as needed, as it also kills beneficial elements in the water. I know some people use it permanently to get crystal clear water but to me it’s unnatural and unnecessary.

I never really knew what to do with the second chamber. It think I just put some floss in it. You don’t need much. All you need is to trap particles since the biological media are the rocks.

Maybe carbon when/if needed.

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, only as needed, as it also kills beneficial elements in the water. I know some people use it permanently to get crystal clear water but to me it’s unnatural and unnecessary.

I never really knew what to do with the second chamber. It think I just put some floss in it. You don’t need much. All you need is to trap particles since the biological media are the rocks.
My tank is new. Do you suggest not even putting the UV in until it ages?

I have a bunch of bio/mechanical/chemical in chamber one, I suppose I could spread it out but then it would just lay in the bottom where the insert was?

Thanks again

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is new. Do you suggest not even putting the UV in until it ages?

I have a bunch of bio/mechanical/chemical in chamber one, I suppose I could spread it out but then it would just lay in the bottom where the insert was?

Thanks again
Oh no, don’t use the UV now ! You need your tank to mature and it takes time. Reef tanks start being mature around 12 months old.

The bio is okay at first, it’s going to help you build your beneficial bacteria. But once you’ve added pods, phyto, fed for a few months, they won’t even be needed. To work well they need flow, so put them where the flow is. So after say 5-6 months, if you get tired of cleaning them (it will get full of gunk), just get rid of them slowly, one at a time. Make sure you have enough rock in the tank though. Like 15-20 lbs or so.

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, don’t use the UV now ! You need your tank to mature and it takes time. Reef tanks start being mature around 12 months old.

The bio is okay at first, it’s going to help you build your beneficial bacteria. But once you’ve added pods, phyto, fed for a few months, they won’t even be needed. To work well they need flow, so put them where the flow is. So after say 5-6 months, if you get tired of cleaning them (it will get full of gunk), just get rid of them slowly, one at a time. Make sure you have enough rock in the tank though. Like 15-20 lbs or so.
Okay I’ll hold off on using it now but it will be good to have as you said. I’ll try to figure out some chamber 2 filter stocking ideas tomorrow then as I feel the foam block is junk. I have 12/13 lbs of display rock in the tank w 10 pounds of live sand w a decently deep sand bed.

Right, as you can see, I’m used to cycling freshwater so I threw as much “media” in the first chamber as I could (1.5# quarantined live rock and a pack of gems)

My LFS stocks copepods and different algaes/microorganisms in pouches, do you suggest I get some of those?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I use my foam block from my 13.5 in my 10g fijicube it rocks! Does both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria at the same time. I rinse it in my water change water when I do water changes. Don't knock the foam block! Also I run a UV 24/7 in my 40 but it is just a 8 watt but it will help with clarification etc.

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I use my foam block from my 13.5 in my 10g fijicube it rocks! Does both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria at the same time. I rinse it in my water change water when I do water changes. Don't knock the foam block! Also I run a UV 24/7 in my 40 but it is just a 8 watt but it will help with clarification etc.
Interesting. Judging by it’s overall look/feel I didn’t care for it and figured I’d need to upgrade this as well.

The UV is this one here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa...hIZUVHECsfWvhK945CX93tKYWF8PTXRoaAn44EALw_wcB I assume you wouldn’t run this one 24/7 in this setup?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back