Overrated fish

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are scary.

To add to the list, puffers. They are common in the lfs here, but a poor community fish that requires extra effort and cost to feed.

Pygmy angels ugly?? No way. Eiblis angel is beautiful, easy to keep, and full of personality. When my hubby waves at it, it wiggles back and forth.
Puffers are for FOWLRs, not reefs

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like mine it’s just I prefer the Longirostris and compared to other butterflies, their colouring isn’t what you’d expect. They are also one of the most common butterflies you can find in the hobby because of their beauty. Again, I own one as well and don’t mind them however I do find they’re rather overrated compared to some of those other butterflies out there which are easier but also they may not be as risky.
2E022B8E-E1AF-46FB-A146-824D962CCD47.jpeg

unfortunately, it is a rather common fish in LFS and most don't eat. However, once you get a eating specimen.... its a very robust fish. Not finicky like other butterflies and ick prone like tangs. One of 4 coral safe butterflies that i know of.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all fish - im sure they have a purpose… BUT firefish. Everytime i hear firefish mentioned i cringe. To the point of tears.
I wouldn't go as far as tears, but they are worthless IMHO. Too often wanting to be astronauts at their own peril.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all fish - im sure they have a purpose… BUT firefish. Everytime i hear firefish mentioned i cringe. To the point of tears.
why? I bought 4. They all ate well. Then there was 3 when one decided to hang itself on the screen top. Not sure if I still have 3. Haven't seen the 3rd one for 4 days now.

The other two are doing great though. Eating like pigs. Survived a ich outbreak.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go as far as tears, but they are worthless IMHO. Too often wanting to be astronauts at their own peril.
Trying to clean their tanks at LFS turns into those fish flipping out and hitting ppl in the face gif. I dread it. Id rather clean foxface tank, lion tank, piranha tank heck toilet tank…

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why? I bought 4. They all ate well. Then there was 3 when one decided to hang itself on the screen top. Not sure if I still have 3. Haven't seen the 3rd one for 4 days now.

The other two are doing great though. Eating like pigs. Survived a ich outbreak.
So you spent money on 4… then lost 1 possibly 2? My point exactly.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2. I like them NOW as they are out all the time and very active.
The ones I had previously were hiding a lot, and these new ones did at the beginning, even disappeared for 3 months. But now They are out all day and chase each other a little. I needed small carnivorous fish as I am trying to grow macro algae, and they fit the bill. And they are very pretty and have an unusual shape.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2. I like them NOW as they are out all the time and very active.
The ones I had previously were hiding a lot, and these new ones did at the beginning, even disappeared for 3 months. But now They are out all day and chase each other a little. I needed small carnivorous fish as I am trying to grow macro algae, and they fit the bill. And they are very pretty and have an unusual shape.
My opinion. Only fish ive had issues with.

spoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of highly popular fish in the trade, some people like an oddity or something rare just because it's not something that you see regularly. There are other fish that you seem to see in almost every tank you look at. I'm interested to know what fish people think are overrated. That is, you think they are far more popular than you think they deserve to be and wouldn't want to own if someone was willing to give you one free (assuming it wasn't due to compatibility or size issues).

For me, yellow tangs and foxfaces are top of the list. They're probably both poplar for the same reasons, bright yellow colour and good algae eaters. I've just never seen the appeal. I love tangs and rabbitfishes, I'd have one (or more) of each in any reef tank I own provided they were big enough, but I just can't get on board with these 2 fish.
Damsel
image.jpg

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you spent money on 4… then lost 1 possibly 2? My point exactly.

i guess i am just so used to loosing fish due to ich... it really doesn't hit like it should.

for me, its a $12 fish and I paid a total of $50. Loosing 1 and possibly 2 over a course a 1yr is a huge win for me. After loosing my blue face and borbonius... $24 isn't that bad.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess i am just so used to loosing fish due to ich... it really doesn't hit like it should.

for me, its a $12 fish and I paid a total of $50. Loosing 1 and possibly 2 over a course a 1yr is a huge win for me. After loosing my blue face and borbonius... $24 isn't that bad.
That certainly does put it in perspective.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at my tank stocking and then looking at this thread:
Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

I like my foxface, like somebody mentioned, he's spooked by everything. But when he pulses the fins it's cool and the camo at night is always a fun one.

As for my clowns, don't hate them, don't love them. I want to get a nem and hopefully they'll host it since I think that's one of the cooler relationships in the hobby

+1 on the firefish though, they just seem to take up space to me lol cool flash of color depending on what else you have in there though!

I wish people would comment what they would replace their disliked fish with. IE: can't stand clowns would replace with xyz fish

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at my tank stocking and then looking at this thread:
Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

I like my foxface, like somebody mentioned, he's spooked by everything. But when he pulses the fins it's cool and the camo at night is always a fun one.

As for my clowns, don't hate them, don't love them. I want to get a nem and hopefully they'll host it since I think that's one of the cooler relationships in the hobby

+1 on the firefish though, they just seem to take up space to me lol cool flash of color depending on what else you have in there though!

I wish people would comment what they would replace their disliked fish with. IE: can't stand clowns would replace with xyz fish
Just wouldnt add.

Back