OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for my clowns, don't hate them, don't love them. I want to get a nem and hopefully they'll host it since I think that's one of the cooler relationships in the hobby
intro-import.jpg

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first fish in QT right now: lagoon shrimp goby and a regular and purple fire fish. They hand out and I like their colors, even though they are a little skittish they come right back out after a minute. Honestly just happy my goby is eating lol.
My tiger shrimp is in my DT already and has made himself right at home digging an entire subterranean system of tunnels- little dude is working hard making a nice home for the goby lol! No issues with the rocks as I put them in before the substrate and everything is pretty bottom heavy.

Over rated fish: definitely candy basslets, blennies, and I've never been a fan of damsels or dottybacks...

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cardinal fish are the ugliest fish kept in the hobby. No disrespect to anyone who has them. In the hobby, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so more power to you if you love them!

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about pajama cardinalfish? I am thinking about a few for my tank but really can't decide if I like them or not.
I got two for my new tank a month ago. They’re a nice “filler“ fish—and what I mean by that is they aren’t going to be a showcase fish, but they are always hanging around and have unique colors so they make a good supplemental fish for your tank. They are also pretty hardy (so far). They can be be a little shy. I picked up a Midas blenny last week and he seems to hog the food. I have to target feed so they get enough. Hope that helps.

Drysea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clones are common in the hobby for a reason they are not overly expensive, fun in anemones and they are easy to breed in captivity. What is not to love. Yellow tangs are bright and active bummer that they are so expensive now. So they feel overrated for the current price. Lots of the “cool” fish are multiple hundreds of dollars a piece they can die just as easily as less expensive fish. And you can’t frag them = overrated.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most overrated:
clowns - almost everyone has a pair... they mean, nasty, jerks and swim weird
damsels - they no damsel, more like a Rousey.
green chromis - because they like to play last one standing
Maculosus Angel - Asfur knock off
Marginalis Butterfly - A copperband with a missing bar

Most underated
Diamond Goby - a must for tanks with substrate
Copperband Butterfly - eats like a pig, ich resistant (from my experience), bye bye aptasia, beautiful, reef safe (maybe not clams)

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only overrated fish I can think of is a blue damsel. The fish sucks it’s the worst. In my day people used them to cycle tanks then had to tear the tank apart to get them out bc the 5$ fish is evil. They are Beautiful and an east draw for someone new. The electric color, if they were nice they would be in everyone’s tank because of the color but they’re evil over rated. I mean these fish shouldn’t even be collected and sold they suck so much.

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even see mine then. It came in as a hitchhiker about 2 years ago and the only reason I know it exists is the sound and I occasionally see molts floating around the tank.
Lol. I have the same thing in my tank—came as a hitchhiker on the live rock and I’ve only seen him twice for a brief moment, but there’s no mistaking that clicking sound and it amazes my wife it can be that loud.

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals. No matter what kind. Yea ig they look nice, kinda, but all they do is just sit in the water and take up space.
I agree they kind of lack personality, but they are relaxing to watch in the evening when the moonlights come on and they float around in the shimmering light…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if I’ve already said this… Valenciennea species. These just die in captivity, if not from starvation then from jumping out of the tank. These guys really need to have the tank set up for them over other fish and if you can get yours to thrive, you’ll probably wind up hating it due to your sand being rescaped.

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if I’ve already said this… Valenciennea species. These just die in captivity, if not from starvation then from jumping out of the tank. These guys really need to have the tank set up for them over other fish and if you can get yours to thrive, you’ll probably wind up hating it due to your sand being rescaped.
These were among the first marine fish I kept. Had a pair of goldheads. One slowly wasted away while the other ate well and stayed fat. The fat one jumped out of the tank around the same time the other one died so I ended up losing them both after probably not much more than 6 months.

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longfin, balloon etc clownfish they're breeding. I don't object to color morphs but mutating this little fish into forms where it cannot function effectively, after all the horrific things they did to the goldfish and then the molly etc, is just gross. Nature's given us an amazing range of fish to choose from but instead people mess the few fish we can breed up and charge stupid prices for them. If they spend half as much time trying to breed species they've not bred yet, they could be alleviating the markets as various geographical areas ban export. Imagine if you were the guy breeding Hawaiian Flame Fairy Wrasse right now?

Also, I get that it's a matter of personal taste, but most of the koi tangs I see look like they have a skin disease to me and are totally unappealing. YMMV.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back