Overrated fish

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of highly popular fish in the trade, some people like an oddity or something rare just because it's not something that you see regularly. There are other fish that you seem to see in almost every tank you look at. I'm interested to know what fish people think are overrated. That is, you think they are far more popular than you think they deserve to be and wouldn't want to own if someone was willing to give you one free (assuming it wasn't due to compatibility or size issues).

For me, yellow tangs and foxfaces are top of the list. They're probably both poplar for the same reasons, bright yellow colour and good algae eaters. I've just never seen the appeal. I love tangs and rabbitfishes, I'd have one (or more) of each in any reef tank I own provided they were big enough, but I just can't get on board with these 2 fish.

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLOWN FISH!

We all own them
I always have a pair in my tank(s)
they're pretty to look at
but they're JERKS!

20220904_130721.jpg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish…
can’t stand em
Dude... LOL... I was not going to put them in my tank... but your at the LFS and they are just staring at you doing their thing, and your like fine. But it needs a buddy, but there is not one smaller, so you drive across town to the other store and get one... Then later you see a AC maroon the size of your thumbnail... and you have a condi in another tank. ETC.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels are about the only thing that come to mind.
Heresy! I can't imagine a build (of a suitable size) without one. Or two. :)

I'm going to throw in matted filefish into the mix. I've never had one that actually did the job for which they were hired...although they have destroyed a couple of my nice, juicy LPS colonies. Their camouflage is nice...until you realize that it just exists so that they can get away pecking at your precious colonies without being noticed...until it's TOO LATE!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heresy! I can't imagine a build (of a suitable size) without one. Or two. :)

I'm going to throw in matted filefish into the mix. I've never had one that actually did the job for which they were hired...although they have destroyed a couple of my nice, juicy LPS colonies. Their camouflage is nice...until you realize that it just exists so that they can get away pecking at your precious colonies without being noticed...until it's TOO LATE!
My 7 triggers are more reef safe than the dwarfs although the Flame is nice. To me the rest are ugly.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 triggers are more reef safe than the dwarfs although the Flame is nice. To me the rest are ugly.
I would clutch my pearls at this statement if my dwarf angels hadn't already eaten my oysters. I think I'll just go and grab some grape caulerpa instead and sob, quietly, into the blasto colony denuded by my filefish.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of highly popular fish in the trade, some people like an oddity or something rare just because it's not something that you see regularly. There are other fish that you seem to see in almost every tank you look at. I'm interested to know what fish people think are overrated. That is, you think they are far more popular than you think they deserve to be and wouldn't want to own if someone was willing to give you one free (assuming it wasn't due to compatibility or size issues).

For me, yellow tangs and foxfaces are top of the list. They're probably both poplar for the same reasons, bright yellow colour and good algae eaters. I've just never seen the appeal. I love tangs and rabbitfishes, I'd have one (or more) of each in any reef tank I own provided they were big enough, but I just can't get on board with these 2 fish.
Cardinals

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would clutch my pearls at this statement if my dwarf angels hadn't already eaten my oysters. I think I'll just go and grab some grape caulerpa instead and sob, quietly, into the blasto colony denuded by my filefish.

Here's the proof, forgot to mention the Japanese Dragon Eel, enjoy, keep the pearls in a safe place!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balistidae
Most Acanthurids
Some Amphiprion/Premnas (The common ones - Rarer wild ones aren’t as bad)
Cardinals
Certain Centropyge spp.
Pomacanthus paru
Pomacanthus arcuatus
Pygoplites diacanthus (Small CB)
Blenniidae
Chelmon rostratum
Forcipiger Flavissimus
Most Pseudocheilinus spp.

And that’s just the beginning of my list :)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish. Haven't had any in years and never will again. Couldn't stand the two I housed for my buddy for a year before he decided to not come back to the hobby.

Cardinals. I have two PJ cardinals and they're pointless.

Sixline wrasse. Absolute devils and too many other better wrasses.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked my 4 year old cardinals, but they were close to there end of life span and we'll the dragon eel ate them around 8 months ago and I would add a couple more but my Miniatus Grouper would swallow them whole once I released them in the tank. He also ate my 5 year tomato clown.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked my 4 year old cardinals, but they were close to there end of life span and we'll the dragon eel ate them around 8 months ago and I would add a couple more but my Miniatus Grouper would swallow them whole once I released them in the tank. He also ate my 5 year tomato clown.
I'm impressed the grouper didn't spit out the tomato clown. That fish is a harbinger of evil, prolly gave the grouper indigestion.

Reefngeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish Goby. Too easily frightened and can hide a lot. I like gobies/blennies like a Midas Blenny that exhibit interesting behavior like peeking out of rockwork and looking around but Firefish just hide and don't really add anything interesting to watch in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back