Overrated fish

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, this one's still small but has a big attitude, he's got big pearls, as the Eel swims back into the rocks he always bites its tail before it disappears! He flares his gills and mouth at the triggers but they just laugh at him. Only fish he doesn't mess with is the Broomtail wrasse as he is the king of the tank and no one messes with him especially when it changes to its dark purple tone which he does when he has to keep someone in check or at feeding time. This is my favorite tank and group of fish in 37 years of having been in the hobby. Oh I have a male Crosshatch trigger a friend is giving me but it's being treated for severe pop eye at the moment but I think we are gonna have to amputate the eye. If so I'll name him "one eye willy".

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs indeed! So overrated and common. And now so overpriced lol.
Never saw the interest in Vlamingi/unicorn tangs...gets huge and hideous. Blonde Nasos are sooo much prettier and cooler.
I also agree on fox face.. they have an awkward looking face and with those venomous spines... pass.
Lionfish... main reason is their destruction to the atlantic coast and other areas.
Kole tangs/bristletooth tangs. The only variant I like is the white tail bristletooth. The rest are drab.
Lawnmower blenny ...just an ugly fish lol. If anything get the orange spotted blenny or midas blenny.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish…
can’t stand em
Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going with a fish that i have. The foxface. I wish i would have known they are scared of everything. My kids call mine skittish. Oh yeah and clowns they just suck.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say yellow tangs. When this hobby started there were no tanks without yellow tangs. Very boring fish but not as boring as clownfish.

I have a fireclown for 30 years. Actually two of them and of all the fish that died over the years,I had hoped it was these clowns instead of something more interesting. Like this guy who I just lost to old age.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never again Clarkii Clowns. Grew out a pair to 3 ½” in my 75g for past 3yrs. Reason 1: As they’ve grown, all the do is tear up the gravel bed. Reason 2: Nasty temperament. Outside chasing other fish around, this week the female decided on a divorce. This week found the poor male cowering in the corner as she kept nipping at him. Domestic Abuse agent stepped in and relocated him to QT tank shelter so his fins wounds can heal, grow back. She defiantly doesn’t want him in the home anymore.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs indeed! So overrated and common. And now so overpriced lol.
Never saw the interest in Vlamingi/unicorn tangs...gets huge and hideous. Blonde Nasos are sooo much prettier and cooler.
I also agree on fox face.. they have an awkward looking face and with those venomous spines... pass.
Lionfish... main reason is their destruction to the atlantic coast and other areas.
Kole tangs/bristletooth tangs. The only variant I like is the white tail bristletooth. The rest are drab.
Lawnmower blenny ...just an ugly fish lol. If anything get the orange spotted blenny or midas blenny.
Have you seen a mature male Vlamingii?
Also, the bristletooths look drab but in reality they look much more colour full when you watch them for a day to see how the colour pattern changes.
Foxface I can kind of understand the venomous spines but the face being awkward? it makes them look like they’re bandits.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, clownfish. Although I have found that with only one the breeding territoriality is much reduced. I don't buy into the "you have to have a pair" - well, you do to breed but I just like the color and personality and don't think they get lonely. That's a Disney thing. She'll (singles turn into females) get a little snippy towards new fish, but took her out for a week or two into temp tank and when put back in, was model citizen again.

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of highly popular fish in the trade, some people like an oddity or something rare just because it's not something that you see regularly. There are other fish that you seem to see in almost every tank you look at. I'm interested to know what fish people think are overrated. That is, you think they are far more popular than you think they deserve to be and wouldn't want to own if someone was willing to give you one free (assuming it wasn't due to compatibility or size issues).

For me, yellow tangs and foxfaces are top of the list. They're probably both poplar for the same reasons, bright yellow colour and good algae eaters. I've just never seen the appeal. I love tangs and rabbitfishes, I'd have one (or more) of each in any reef tank I own provided they were big enough, but I just can't get on board with these 2 fish.
Firefish Goby. Too easily frightened and can hide a lot. I like gobies/blennies like a Midas Blenny that exhibit interesting behavior like peeking out of rockwork and looking around but Firefish just hide and don't really add anything interesting to watch in the tank.
Gem tangs there just like any other tang just 800 dollars more

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen a mature male Vlamingii?
Also, the bristletooths look drab but in reality they look much more colour full when you watch them for a day to see how the colour pattern changes.
Foxface I can kind of understand the venomous spines but the face being awkward? it makes them look like they’re bandits.
Yes. They're big and ugly lol. Plus the colors are like grayish. Pass

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pistol shrimp I have is about 2 inches, moves so much sand and drags my corals into the holes and once he managed to move a rock by removing sand and the rock fell which caused the other rock on top to fall which has my clam on top. They also stir up sand when I'm trying to take pictures like it knows

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back