Overrated fish

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pistol shrimp I have is about 2 inches, moves so much sand and drags my corals into the holes and once he managed to move a rock by removing sand and the rock fell which caused the other rock on top to fall which has my clam on top. They also stir up sand when I'm trying to take pictures like it knows
Aw. My bullseye pistol shrimp is gorgeous, but very shy and retiring; the only time I see it is at feeding time.

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw. My bullseye pistol shrimp is gorgeous, but very shy and retiring; the only time I see it is at feeding time.
I have a candy stripe and a tiger.

The candy is super small and very shy

The tiger is a dick and is always out. When other fish get near its hole he snaps at them and tries to fight them. I was cleaning around and he even tried to square up with me. This pistol is the shrimp from hell

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even see mine then. It came in as a hitchhiker about 2 years ago and the only reason I know it exists is the sound and I occasionally see molts floating around the tank.

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about pajama cardinalfish? I am thinking about a few for my tank but really can't decide if I like them or not.
I was thinking about them being the 1st fish to add to my new tank. They look peculiar which I think adds to the appeal.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of highly popular fish in the trade, some people like an oddity or something rare just because it's not something that you see regularly. There are other fish that you seem to see in almost every tank you look at. I'm interested to know what fish people think are overrated. That is, you think they are far more popular than you think they deserve to be and wouldn't want to own if someone was willing to give you one free (assuming it wasn't due to compatibility or size issues).

For me, yellow tangs and foxfaces are top of the list. They're probably both poplar for the same reasons, bright yellow colour and good algae eaters. I've just never seen the appeal. I love tangs and rabbitfishes, I'd have one (or more) of each in any reef tank I own provided they were big enough, but I just can't get on board with these 2 fish.
Lightning Marion clown. I hate this fish. No matter where I have to reach in my tank it attacks. Never buy another clown.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 triggers are more reef safe than the dwarfs although the Flame is nice. To me the rest are ugly.

I am not ugly! You’re ugly! :loudly-crying-face:

multibar-angelfish-marshall-island.png

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all my current and former fish. Yes, the Bangai Cardinal are not very active, but they are pretty, and the pajama colors are unique. My foxface goes all over the tank, get scared easily, but never hide for more than 2 minutes or so. My 2 clown have never been agressive, and the hyppo tang is active, and colorful. The 7 chromis, never stop moving, and it is fun to see them spawn and defend their eggs. I never had problem with my sixline, so very independent and following his own drum, and my Eblii angel continually check the rocks, but sometimes confront the foxface or my four stripe damsel.

However I would never have an eel. I do not want any other predatory fish either. Do not see the fun of seeing small fish being eaten, and I do not want to help them kill by giving them livefish.

moncheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish Goby. Too easily frightened and can hide a lot. I like gobies/blennies like a Midas Blenny that exhibit interesting behavior like peeking out of rockwork and looking around but Firefish just hide and don't really add anything interesting to watch in the tank.
I've got two fire fishes so far, one was regular pink one and the other is Helfrichi. They always on the fron of the tank. Yes they hide when frightened but only for a bit and I don't see them getting frightened that easily tho. I see them all the time

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild-caught yellow tangs are overrated. My two captive-bred fish are lovely and ate well from the first day; they also acclimated immediately in their respective tanks.

The vendor of one of them told me that that captive-bred specimens can be a tough sell because of perceived cosmetic flaws, such as the nocturnal lateral bar being too prominent. I cannot fathom this.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back