Ozone: How do you use it? What is stopping you?

Ozone: Scary, Valuable, or Just Misunderstood?

• Total voters

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my comment on that from one of my ORP articles:

So with all that background discussion behind us, here are my recommendations for ORP monitoring and ozone control in reef aquaria using a properly sized ozone generator that appears to be working, and a properly calibrated ORP meter:

1. If the ORP never seems to rise above 375 mV after initiating ozone, do not worry about controlling the ozone or the ORP. Just let it run full out. Also, do not worry about needing a larger generator, assuming it has driven up the ORP by at least 25 mV above where it was before adding ozone. It is likely accomplishing the necessary tasks (such as making the water clearer). Only if some other aspect of ozone use is unsatisfying (e.g., lack of water clarity) would I look for other options such as a larger ozone generator or a better contact chamber.

2. If the ORP starts above 375 mV, or rises there during ozone use, using an ORP controller would be valuable to prevent the ORP from rising too high. Use the controller to shut off the ozone when the ORP rises too high. Another option would be to shut off the air flow to save the dryer's media, but be sure that water cannot flow back into the ozone generator if the air stops. I would set the ORP target somewhat above the baseline ORP in the absence of ozone - at least 350 mV, maybe 400 mV, but never above 450 mV.

Makes sense..

Right now I have it to shut off at 360 and on at 330. Takes about 10 minutes to raise and drop...

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I went to my property in Colorado last week to camp and I turned off ozone just in case something went wrong while I was gone.

Well, It won't go above 350 now...at full blast.

I checked all the hoses, no kinks, everything is as I had left it. It has a check valve so no water in the line.

Any thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

I have it hooked up to a dryer..

The ORP probe is about two weeks old...

Should I shut it off for a few days?

So is this a different probe than before the vacation?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran ozone in a reactor at my LFS back in the day. I had a big old Sander corona type that I pushed dried air through and into a pressurized reactor that the system's water flowed through. The water (and ozone) then flowed over some cheap charcoal and back into the system's sump. This was visible to customers and gave them some measure of assurance that they could buy healthy fish at my place. At the time I thought I was effectively limiting pathogens, but knowing what I know now, maybe it was just a good marketing gimmick.

I don't run one in my tank now... but... I do think ozone could be used much the same as peroxide or the oxydator.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I went to my property in Colorado last week to camp and I turned off ozone just in case something went wrong while I was gone.

Well, It won't go above 350 now...at full blast.

I checked all the hoses, no kinks, everything is as I had left it. It has a check valve so no water in the line.

Any thoughts?
What was the ORP reading before you turned the ozone back on? Can I presume that it was 330-360 when you shut it off?

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

So everything checks out: cleaned and calibrated ORP probe, double and triple checked everything.

It seems like ozone in my tank maxes out and it won’t climb after a certain amount of time.

is this possible?

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an ozonizer with (28mg/h) output for my 200 gal. I program my apex to turn it on for 5 mins every 4 hr, 24/7. My water is like crytal clear to the way you can't believe it. My fish, my coral are all healthy. Here is my ORP look like

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-22 122311.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-06-22 122311.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 41

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an ozonizer with (28mg/h) output for my 200 gal. I program my apex to turn it on for 5 mins every 4 hr, 24/7. My water is like crytal clear to the way you can't believe it. My fish, my coral are all healthy. Here is my ORP look like

Mine just peaks as you can see then it just stalls. The dips are when I feed..

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 2.25.28 PM.png

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see your Apex rule?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. The drops at the beginning of the week are maintenance.
1655926999739.png

If I cut those off of the beginning then this is the graph. I have mine set to cycle on below 350.
1655926886325.png

And here is the same graph with feedings overlaid.
1655927149206.png

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see your Apex rule?
Here are my program. I have an overflow sensor build in the skimmer. If the skimmer stop, Ozone stop. If I was feeding my fish (when the sump pump) slow down to 1 % during feeding, Ozonizer stop. When I am doing maintenance work in the tank (I use FeedD) ozonizer stop. When I dose amino acid (FeedB), ozonizer stop. When OPR reading over 430, ozonizer stop. When AC power off, UPS kick in, Ozonizer stop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-22 161308.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-06-22 161308.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 33

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back