Ozone: How do you use it? What is stopping you?

Ozone: Scary, Valuable, or Just Misunderstood?

• Total voters

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share your Ozone experience. Good or bad. How do you feel about it? What is your experience with Ozone? Have you had any issues? If you run Ozone please share your design and implementation or your system. After running Ozone, what would you do different. If you do not run Ozone, what is preventing you from doing it? More pictures = more better.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to select “Ozone has it's place, just not in my tank”

But the last option yelled to be selected.
genius GIF

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda have a rule
If you want to use ozone go find and read the stuff I did. Understand what you are doing. Learn to use it safely.
so I would tell you, but it's a rule.
I have been using it for years. I want to see what othes have to say about it. I would never tell. First rule of Ozone club.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0 ozone experience iv only read alot and I'll stick to carbon less risk of killing the kids if somthing goes wrong

Mabey one day when they move out

Tanks with ozone do look pretty tho like crystal
There is virtually no risk of that. Like many things the risks are way overblown.
You’ll get a scratchy throat, a cough and a wicked headache but it’s not chlorine or mustard gas by any means.

I don’t agree with the notion that carbon replaces ozone. For one carbon loses its effectiveness fairly rapidly and your water clarity will go up and down as you change it out…leading to instability in terms of light intensity.
In my opinion ozone is also superior in terms of generating crystal clear water…and you never have to change the carbon in a reactor.
Now, I run carbon as well but for completely different reasons.

My setup is a sander 200mg/h unit running at about 20% controlled by a profilux 4 (having some issues with the redox probe atm so for now the ozone is offline).
The ozone is being pumped in to a tunze 9410 skimmer who’s sole purpose is to act as a ozone reactor. I run carbon in the lid…not that it’s needed for such small amounts of ozone really but I’m not a huge fan of the smell.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is virtually no risk of that. Like many things the risks are way overblown.
You’ll get a scratchy throat, a cough and a wicked headache but it’s not chlorine or mustard gas by any means.

I don’t agree with the notion that carbon replaces ozone. For one carbon loses its effectiveness fairly rapidly and your water clarity will go up and down as you change it out…leading to instability in terms of light intensity.
In my opinion ozone is also superior in terms of generating crystal clear water…and you never have to change the carbon in a reactor.
Now, I run carbon as well but for completely different reasons.

My setup is a sander 200mg/h unit running at about 20% controlled by a profilux 4 (having some issues with the redox probe atm so for now the ozone is offline).
The ozone is being pumped in to a tunze 9410 skimmer who’s sole purpose is to act as a ozone reactor. I run carbon in the lid…not that it’s needed for such small amounts of ozone really but I’m not a huge fan of the smell.
I'm sorry but you kind of missed the entire point you say virtually no

yes true but what if

No carbon does not work as well as ozone but it does work and if changed ever 7 day very little swing in water coloration or light intensity as in not messurabke with a par meter

as a matter of fact they work very difrently and in some cases should be used together

Not to mention not risking this hopping to my kids

Children Are At Increased Risk
Ozone can harm the respiratory system by inflaming cells that line the upper airways and the lungs – much like a sunburn damages skin. o Short-term exposures to ozone can make it more difficult to take a full, deep breath and can cause respiratory symptoms, even in healthy people.

Long-term exposure to ozone is linked to aggravation of asthma and a variety of other effects on the respiratory system, and is likely to be one of many causes of asthma development.

So no I will not be using it in my house with my kids

Know what your using for your tank and the reproductions if somthing goes wrong

All it takes is 1 time

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote.
Q/Ozone experience.
A/It was OK but with drawbacks, then about 30 years ago I discovered Oxydators and never went back.

Q/Good or bad. How do you feel about it?
A/For me the Oxydator was better in so many ways so it was a no brainer to ditch ozone and stay with Oxydators.

Q/What is your experience with Ozone?
A/It was OK in itself in truth but ideally needs an air drier and a redox controller. Redox probe needed cleaning and calibrating regular. Lots to fail and ozonisers do not like moisture I found.

Q/Have you had any issues?
A/Been some years since I run an ozoniser and I found them not the most reliable pieces of kit perhaps they are much better now.

Q/If you do not run Ozone, what is preventing you from doing it?
A/ Tried it, used it for a number of years. Discovered Oxydators so ditched ozone in favour of hydrogen peroxide dosing via Oxydator's with all the advantages Oxydators bring over ozone.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but you kind of missed the entire point you say virtually no

Children Are At Increased Risk
Ozone can harm the respiratory system by inflaming cells that line the upper airways and the lungs – much like a sunburn damages skin. o Short-term exposures to ozone can make it more difficult to take a full, deep breath and can cause respiratory symptoms, even in healthy people.

Long-term exposure to ozone is linked to aggravation of asthma and a variety of other effects on the respiratory system, and is likely to be one of many causes of asthma development.

So no I will not be using it in my house with my kids

Know what your using for your tank and the reproductions if somthing goes wrong

All it takes is 1 time
Well, speaking from experience of having exposed myself to ambient ozone (I forgot to connect the hose back to the generator after cleaning lol) and over 20 years in the hobby without knowing one person who has gotten in to trouble from ozone exposure even though I’ve know tons who have used it I’m still going to call the risks vastly exaggerated.

Under normal operating conditions there is no risk what so ever. I have a ozone detector in the room and nothing ever registers. Even when I pushed my 200mg/h unit to full there was very little of gassing as it’s so reactive.
If a leak would occur on a hose or something that has the potential to be bad but you would smell it instantly as it has a very distinct smell so I have a hard time seeing how long term exposure would occur.
I would be more worried about living in a city with a lot of smog.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, speaking from experience of having exposed myself to ambient ozone (I forgot to connect the hose back to the generator after cleaning lol) and over 20 years in the hobby without knowing one person who has gotten in to trouble from ozone exposure even though I’ve know tons who have used it I’m still going to call the risks vastly exaggerated.

Under normal operating conditions there is no risk what so ever. I have a ozone detector in the room and nothing ever registers. Even when I pushed my 200mg/h unit to full there was very little of gassing as it’s so reactive.
If a leak would occur on a hose or something that has the potential to be bad but you would smell it instantly as it has a very distinct smell so I have a hard time seeing how long term exposure would occur.
I would be more worried about living in a city with a lot of smog.
Couple of facts.
1/ Some people are more sensitive to ozone than others and small amounts can affect them.
2/ once you sniff ozone once ir twice you don't smell it as much even though it's still there at the same level. You become less sensitized to ozone quickly.
3/ to most people the smell of ozone isn't a problem but for some it is, all depends on the individual.
4/ if you can smell ozone in the room and you have a ozone alarm then somethings not right with the alarm.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2/ once you sniff ozone once ir twice you don't smell it as much even though it's still there at the same level. You become less sensitized to ozone quickly.
4/ if you can smell ozone in the room and you have a ozone alarm then somethings not right with the alarm.
- do you mean that there is a permanent reduction in sensitivity or a temporary one like with most strong smells?
- No smell in the room, some in my sump room as the carbon probably wasn’t fresh enough to filter so much ozone from the skimmer air outlet.

I don’t doubt that showing the ozone house up your nose and taking a few deep breath wouldn’t be a horrible idea, I’m saying that the risk in terms of our application isn’t as bad as people make them out to be.
I would be very interested in reeding some examples of reefers getting hurt by properly using ozone, perhaps there are a bunch and I’ve just missed it?
In that case I would need to reevaluate my stance.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back