Ozone: How do you use it? What is stopping you?

Ozone: Scary, Valuable, or Just Misunderstood?

• Total voters

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- do you mean that there is a permanent reduction in sensitivity or a temporary one like with most strong smells?
- No smell in the room, some in my sump room as the carbon probably wasn’t fresh enough to filter so much ozone from the skimmer air outlet.

I don’t doubt that showing the ozone house up your nose and taking a few deep breath wouldn’t be a horrible idea, I’m saying that the risk in terms of our application isn’t as bad as people make them out to be.
I would be very interested in reeding some examples of reefers getting hurt by properly using ozone, perhaps there are a bunch and I’ve just missed it?
In that case I would need to reevaluate my stance.
Temporary.
I have read on a number of occasions on a UK forum of people experiencing the likes of headaches attributed to the use of ozone. However, it never bothered me. I don't think people have to be actually "hurt" for people to have a negative reaction to ozone in the air for people to stop using it. Like I said some are a lot more sensitive to free ozone in the surrounding air in the room.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go.
Screenshot_20220412-111133_Chrome.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share your Ozone experience. Good or bad. How do you feel about it? What is your experience with Ozone? Have you had any issues? If you run Ozone please share your design and implementation or your system. After running Ozone, what would you do different. If you do not run Ozone, what is preventing you from doing it? More pictures = more better.
Was using it 25 years ago on freshwater tank and it was great.

Still using it together with a big UV on the reef tank. Nothing works like it for clarity and protozoa reduction.

It just feeds into the air intake to the skimmer with the outflow passing over activated carbon. Bag on top of the skimmer too.
Runs overnight with Redox control from the Profilux.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
Yes I sit in the fish room and stick the tube from the ozone generator up my nose.
Ozone may cause spontaneous combustion
Ozone can cause your hair to turn purple permanently
Ozone has been linked to lightning and may cause it to strike you.
Ozone helps shrink the swelling of hemorrhoidal tissues.

The wonderful ability in English of implying and impugning. There are literally thousands of products that are sold to ease symptoms of some human ailment by saying they help do something that are composed of some vitamins and herbal components. They help 0.0001%.
Saying something can cause something does not means it does cause something. Saying something may cause something is even more meaningless.
Carrots may cause cancer. You don't believe it now but if repeated enough in the media you would.

I advise you not to use ozone. If you want to, learn about it yourself. Become learned enough to be safe with it.
My house has paneling in the basement. Here is a picture of it through my 8 foot long fish tank.
IMG_4317-L.jpg
It's very nice.

Ozone is almost as dangerous as things like the stove in the kitchen, electricity, a car, makin a fire, spray paint and many other things. Did you know you can by bleach in gallons? At the grocery!!! That stuff will burn the heck out of you and make holes in your clothes.
People used to use fireworks and guns. We had fun with them. I have all my fingers , toes and never made a hole in anything I didn't intend too. Kids rode minibikes and go carts. We went into the woods and camped.
That gasoline stuff OMG. I tried to use a gas lawnmower and almost blew my whole house up. Now I have a battery one and since no one pointed out how batteries can explode too.
IMG_6251-M.jpg

People used to be able to detect sarcasm, find things humorous and use things that have some dangerous possibilities because they accomplish things not easily done otherwise or are big fun. We dared fate to come and get us at times. We wanted to know if we were good enough. But most of us are gone now.
The future belongs to the Tide Pod eaters.

Now anything can be to be true if enough people believe in it. Just like Disney Land.

Stay safe

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted how I use ozone on here. Go and find it. No it isn't easy to find things on here. Make the effort if you want to know. The effort matters. People willing to make it accomplish things others never will.
Then they will come for you.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
Yes I sit in the fish room and stick the tube from the ozone generator up my nose.
Ozone may cause spontaneous combustion
Ozone can cause your hair to turn purple permanently
Ozone has been linked to lightning and may cause it to strike you.
Ozone helps shrink the swelling of hemorrhoidal tissues.

The wonderful ability in English of implying and impugning. There are literally thousands of products that are sold to ease symptoms of some human ailment by saying they help do something that are composed of some vitamins and herbal components. They help 0.0001%.
Saying something can cause something does not means it does cause something. Saying something may cause something is even more meaningless.
Carrots may cause cancer. You don't believe it now but if repeated enough in the media you would.

I advise you not to use ozone. If you want to, learn about it yourself. Become learned enough to be safe with it.
My house has paneling in the basement. Here is a picture of it through my 8 foot long fish tank.
IMG_4317-L.jpg
It's very nice.

Ozone is almost as dangerous as things like the stove in the kitchen, electricity, a car, makin a fire, spray paint and many other things. Did you know you can by bleach in gallons? At the grocery!!! That stuff will burn the heck out of you and make holes in your clothes.
People used to use fireworks and guns. We had fun with them. I have all my fingers , toes and never made a hole in anything I didn't intend too. Kids rode minibikes and go carts. We went into the woods and camped.
That gasoline stuff OMG. I tried to use a gas lawnmower and almost blew my whole house up. Now I have a battery one and since no one pointed out how batteries can explode too.
IMG_6251-M.jpg

People used to be able to detect sarcasm, find things humorous and use things that have some dangerous possibilities because they accomplish things not easily done otherwise or are big fun. We dared fate to come and get us at times. We wanted to know if we were good enough. But most of us are gone now.
The future belongs to the Tide Pod eaters.

Now anything can be to be true if enough people believe in it. Just like Disney Land.

Stay safe

LOL love the sarcasm.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220412-060304_Chrome.jpg

Thats a lot of info. I choose not to use ozone because of another maintaince item and cost. I do like the results. @WVNed thats a crystal clear tank.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of peer reviewed research papers out there if you care to look.

Ozone and UV are used in many commercial aquaculture facilities for good reason.
Not doubting that. However you misunderstand me. I am saying you are incorrect by stating nothing works like ozone. Oxydators which use hydrogen peroxide work to make the water just as clear. That's if you care to look of course.
I used ozone and UV for around 6 years before discovering Oxydators. Might be worth you looking into them.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for about 3 years, I have used Ozone full blast with no carbon or controller in my DIY skimmer for maybe 40 years or a little more. If there was a small leak, you would smell it instantly and get a headache, maybe your nose would rot off and fall on the floor and get dirty.

If you don't know what you are doing or are afraid of many of life's little things, don't use it.
Of course you also shouldn't drive a gas car, fly in a plane, take aspirin, breathe outside, or inside, wear a mask or don't wear a mask, drink alcohol, milk, beer or tap water. :oops:

I like it for water conditions. I didn't use it for 3 years and didn't notice any difference but the name "ozone" just makes me feel better. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxydators use the same chemicals used to launch rockets into space and may cause you to catch your hair on fire, lose all the flesh from your bones or jump through yourself. Small children and pregnant women may be more susceptible to these symptoms

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxydators use the same chemicals used to launch rockets into space and may cause you to catch your hair on fire, lose all the flesh from your bones or jump through yourself. Small children and pregnant women may be more susceptible to these symptoms
Scary stuff right there!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanksgiving Fauci GIF by GIPHY News

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never run Ozone but plan on using Ozone or an Oxidator on my new tank. My new tank is around 400 gallons and will have around 800 gallons total through the system. I know the benefits for a much larger system. Thats a lot of GAC, etc to change if I didn't run Ozone.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back