OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arnhem is a beautiful city, I passed through it, while on leave, on my way back to my post in Bavaria(around '66). It should be well known, especially since the film, "A Bridge Too Far" was made in the '70's. Somewhere along the line during that trip, I aquired a taste for Witbieren.

Ah........ Arnhem.
Been there many times and I was dating a Nurse from Arnhem one time but that was a battle on it's own and I didn't want repeat what happened in 1944 so I told her that we need more sugar to bake her birthday cake................. guess................ I still have to come back with the sugar 30 years later :p

Hehe yeah I know it's famous for it's history from the war, but I didn't know that you guys would actually recall, being non-Dutchies. Of course you're 'murican, so yeah I should have known better :) .. At least good to hear you like the place, and yeah Witbier is amazing, i completely agree!

P0st, simply gorgeous! You truly did an awesome job on the whole setup. Lovin the center tank tunnel behind that green goni. I see you have clowns too. In the video I see one on the right in what looks like a thick grassy kinda coral. Lovin the way it covers the rockwork. Great color contrasts between the fish and corals. Beautiful school of chromis You've also got some beautiful zoa colonies starting up. Very very nice tank p0st!!! Whatever you are doing is working wonders. Keep up the awesome reefing job!!!.....and please keep us updated!

Outta curiosity, what kind of lights are you using on the tank p0st?

Thanks so much for your appreciation! Yeah I tried to create a bridge from Real Reef Rock, actually that's the only part that's glued together, everything else is just placed on top of each other (pretty sturdy, luckily). The clowns usually host the gonio, but indeed one of them also likes the ears, I think they're called Rhodactis Indosinensis and they grow and split like crazy haha! Zoa rock is hard to maintain (keeping all zoa's happy, making sure algae doesn't cover them etc.) but coming along nice indeed, now just some more special species to find! Thanks again and I'll definitely keep posting!

The lights are 4x 54W T5, of which 2 are Blue Plus and 2 Coral Plus bulbs by ATI. LED panels are in the middle, these are MaxSpect Razor fixtures, 120W each (2 of them) and color temperature 10.000K.

Beautiful tank. Thank you for sharing

Thanks mate, you're welcome and I'll keep updating the thread!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe yeah I know it's famous for it's history from the war, but I didn't know that you guys would actually recall, being non-Dutchies. Of course you're 'murican, so yeah I should have known better :) .. At least good to hear you like the place, and yeah Witbier is amazing, i completely agree!

Oh no don't get me wrong I have Blue blood in me and lived half of my life in Holland, was born in Amsterdam from real Dutchies parents with a real Dutchies name "VanderNoort" what it is now........ name sake a bit Americanized, me................... when I try to speak Dutch my jaws will cramp up and it will give me a hard time to eat these large burgers.
Always order the Jr size at Five Guys and my son is laughing at me.
I'm thinking................... on your age I was eating Pancakes all you can eat(up to 6 on some cold days), and these weren't the mini sizes they have here in the States, they were close to 18" across.
It was no problem after a long run with the National Track and Field Team at the coast through out the Dunes at our favorite coast cities, Bergen aan Zee, Bloemendal, Egmond aan Zee, Sandvoort, to just name a few and all of them had one or two family operated "Pannekoek Huizen".
Great time we had, I'm sure it's a lot different now.

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no don't get me wrong I have Blue blood in me and lived half of my life in Holland, was born in Amsterdam from real Dutchies parents with a real Dutchies name "VanderNoort" what it is now........ name sake a bit Americanized, me................... when I try to speak Dutch my jaws will cramp up and it will give me a hard time to eat these large burgers.
Always order the Jr size at Five Guys and my son is laughing at me.
I'm thinking................... on your age I was eating Pancakes all you can eat(up to 6 on some cold days), and these weren't the mini sizes they have here in the States, they were close to 18" across.
It was no problem after a long run with the National Track and Field Team at the coast through out the Dunes at our favorite coast cities, Bergen aan Zee, Bloemendal, Egmond aan Zee, Sandvoort, to just name a few and all of them had one or two family operated "Pannekoek Huizen".
Great time we had, I'm sure it's a lot different now.

Haha yeah I guess as a non-American you will never get used to the huge amounts of food they serve :p
And yes pancake restaurants are still pretty commom, still most of the time run from family business perspective, so in that way it hasn't changed much!
Cities near the dunes have of course grown and during hot days there are miles of traffic jams towards the beach, but on "normal" days it's still rather enjoyable :)

On another note; my tang had to share it's food yesterday with a nassarius snail, it was a bit confused haha!

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There there, I cleaned my tank today and replaced 50L of water. I have been using Red Sea Coral Pro salt for a while now, today I started using Reef Crystals again and I immediately noticed better polyp expansion. Might be a coincidence, but I feel the RC salt dissolves a little better and the water is more clear after mixing than the RS CP...

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually traveling over to the Netherlands at the end of September for work. Can't remember the name of the town we are going to but I will be in Amsterdam for a couple days. Any good reef shops I should checkout there??

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are certainly some reef shops to check out here. If you want to see some of the finest corals go to Dreamcorals, they are located near Amsterdam (in Amstelveen) and have some of the best import there is -> https://www.facebook.com/Dreamcorals

Another one that comes to mind not far from Amsterdam is Aquasan -> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquaasan-Corals/

On another note; just acquired a green stylo this weekend that really blends in well with the tank!

And the Lord of the Rings zoa's really shine, although they tend to grow large and fast, thus making it hard for neighbouring zoa's to get some space :p

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank looks great. I'm envious of the color. One day I would love for my tank to look like that.

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are certainly some reef shops to check out here. If you want to see some of the finest corals go to Dreamcorals, they are located near Amsterdam (in Amstelveen) and have some of the best import there is -> https://www.facebook.com/Dreamcorals

Another one that comes to mind not far from Amsterdam is Aquasan -> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquaasan-Corals/

On another note; just acquired a green stylo this weekend that really blends in well with the tank!

And the Lord of the Rings zoa's really shine, although they tend to grow large and fast, thus making it hard for neighbouring zoa's to get some space :p

Thanks I'll look these up when I am over that way

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I went to my LFS to get some algae food. I went for New Era Marine Grazer but they didn't have those in stock so I ended up with Algae Pellets, they seem nice and the fish seem to like them as well.

Furthermore they were having some discount on their corals after the summer period, to make space for new arrivals, so I picked up two corals!

First of all this piece of rock with 3 mushrooms (there was a lost watermelon zoa in the bag as well, so that's glued in the middle). I really liked the blue-ish lines in the red color of the shroom.

Then there's this Acropora which I already loved a few weeks ago, but the price tag was a little too hefty (€65). To my surprise they still had it in the tank, only the tissue color has washed out over the summer period so it doesn't look as fancy anymore. I got it at a 50%+ discount so no hesitation there, I'm sure this piece will return to it's former glory in no time! I have added a pic as well from when I first saw it, you can easily see how fast the color can degrade when the tank conditions aren't optimal...

Now in my tank (26th of August)

Then in the LFS display tank (6th of August)

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday morning, a perfect time to compare some of the old tank shots with recent ones, and wow I have seen some growth in just a couple of months!
First a comparison of my tank a year ago vs. now, and then some corals that have developed really well.

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this nice frag of Red People Eaters two weeks ago, they are doing really well and are spawning offspring already!

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I have added a fox face to the fish family, and after a few days of getting used to eachother, they are doing great now together!

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are friends!

Also I traded this chalice with somebody for some softies, it's not in perfect shape but the polyps are already reaching out so I'm curious how this beautifully shaped coral will be in a few weeks/months!

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the deal. I really like my current reef and setup, but since we bought a new house I'm going to have to move the tank in December. Although I really like the idea of a see-through tank for my new house I want to go with a "traditional" setup, meaning a tank against the wall. Also, to make the move easier, I want to setup the tank before moving so I can migrate all stuff from my current tank to the new one in 1 day. I have thought about going bigger (from 450L to 7-800L) but since I actually like the current size (it's manageable on additives, equipment, water changes etc.) I'm looking for a comparable tank size.

And then I met the Red Sea Reefer in my LFS and I instantly fell in love. I really, and I mean really, love the way this tank looks. Super clear glass, a very nice overall look and a clever water management system, and that's it! The build quality really looks amazing too, and I love how it's only that, so you can add all your own equipment to it. So yeah I'm basicly considering to buy a Reefer 450 as my next system. Anybody that has one and can name some pro's and con's of this tank? There are only a handful of reviews (written/video) available so I would like to hear your opinions :)

For all of you that don't know what the Reefer looks like, here's a picture of the 450

Oh and a Bonus Pic from my current tank as well haha :D

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well I have ordered the Reefer 450 yesterday, so from December onwards I'm going to migrate all the tank's inhabitants to the Reefer, in our new house! I will keep updating the thread on progress, for now it's waiting until December 8th!

And again a bonus pic, my tank is really curious when I'm taking pictures haha!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Such a fantastic reef!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back