View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0506.jpeg
IMG_0507.jpeg
IMG_0508.jpeg
IMG_0509.jpeg

A new rock for my new 90g tank. In the "Mk II" Version, I attached and then reinforced the joints with hydraulic cement first, let it dry for several days, then coated the joints in E-Marco, and finally coat the rock in the thinned out Emarco. I put the purple coat of Emarco on thicker in this version, and prefer it that way to the much thinner version on my existing pieces.

I have found that the mortar along may not be strong enough to support the heavier rocks in positions like this, so I prefer to use mortar cement for those connections. I have used Quickcrete for this on all my rockwork without incident or any issues with water quality (I do cover the joints with E-Marco after it dries)

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also Paint rock w Liuquitex acrylic paints. I have done it for years w GREAT results, The paint is waterproof after 24 to 48 hours drying.
@jft - that looks like a good option. What color(s) did you use?

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jft - that looks like a good option. What color(s) did you use?
4 0z tubes of purple mixed w white. Then dab on a little orange or red and green to mimic sponges and algae. Let dry for 72 hours. My new 125 gallon is totally painted rock, Abut 75 pounds. Setup lots of tanks over the years like this. The Fish are healthy and don t care except whats for Dinner. LOL

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 0z tubes of purple mixed w white. Then dab on a little orange or red and green to mimic sponges and algae. Let dry for 72 hours. My new 125 gallon is totally painted rock, Abut 75 pounds. Setup lots of tanks over the years like this. The Fish are healthy and don t care except whats for Dinner. LOL
Sounds like a great plan @jft - I'll have to track down some of your tank photos.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back