Painting Equipment

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers and DIYers!

I am currently putting together a controller cabinet and have been doing some research. I have looked at many different designs that I have seen on here and in general on the googles/interwebz. ;Pompus

A common thing I have seen is matching the paint scheme and/or lighting color to match the equipment they have. While this does end up looking clean and professional (in some cases), I have one hang up with going this route. I am going to be using an Apex with the EB832 and well... I am not the biggest fan of the color orange. Also, it seems like a lot of people are going for a black or grey and orange scheme to match their Apex. The rebel in me tells me to do something different. :cool:

I am in no way married to this but I was considering taking my Apex and EB832 apart and removing the pieces that are orange and painting them a blue color to match my own personal scheme. Or possibly looking into having someone 3D print some replacements for the orange parts.

Are there any down sides to this that I may not be considering? I have not looked into it but I figured this may void any warranty.

I appreciate any feedback. If you have done something similar to make your equipment match a color scheme please post a picture of your cabinet or board! I would love to see examples!

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will void the warranty.

No downside if you do a neat job and only paint plastic and do not block any air exchange venting. I 100% recommend doing it. I always customized my console controllers with paint many years ago... now you can buy all sorts of colors.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will void the warranty.

No downside if you do a neat job and only paint plastic and do not block any air exchange venting. I 100% recommend doing it. I always customized my console controllers with paint many years ago... now you can buy all sorts of colors.

I recently used spray paint to make up some matching hardware. I am curious to know if I could get some parts 3D printed though. I suppose I could just keep the orange parts if anything was ever needed....

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second you break the screws off the unit and open it up to take it apart to paint the warranty is done. I think you should customize it. Pretty low risk of you are a handy person.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second you break the screws off the unit and open it up to take it apart to paint the warranty is done. I think you should customize it. Pretty low risk of you are a handy person.

Do you mind me asking what you mean by customizing it?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way for them to know you opened it unless you strip the screws, break the tabs or damage the case. I do this regularly (take apart equipment) and never lost a warranty claim because of that. Of course, if your unit catches fire while having custom case on, burns out and you send it for repair in the original undamaged case, there will be questions. But aside from that, it'd be very hard to deny the warranty.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is difference between not getting caught by carefully taking apart a unit and claiming the warranty...versus the warranty is voided by taking the unit apart. This is the risk you take.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. The apex looks like a child's toy. You could get some vinyl decal material and just cover it. You could even have it custom printed if you wanted like they do with car wraps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As technology changes at a fast pace, bear in mind although it suits your needs, it may not of the other and will affect resale value not to mention, possibly any warranties

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it, its easy to take apart and put back together. wipeit down with ipa, do a good job masking what you don't want paint on and give it enough time to dry.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back