Pair of Assessors???

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I'm looking into adding some fish to my tank and I'm really liking the yellow assessors. I was wondering if I could house a pair of them? Have they been known to have any aggression towards their own kind? I think these fish are super cool and it's a bonus that they're captive bred!! LEt me know your experiences with them!

Thanks #reefsquad

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are supposedly completely communal. Mine is out and about all day long, not at all cryptic. But I've been told they're even more bold in groups. All I can tell you is I've seen videos of groups of 5+ hanging out together with no issues.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/fish/index.php

Assessors and Dottybacks can work well in a big tank with lots of space and hiding. They can be a shy fish and hide a lot it depends on tank mates.
They do like caves to hide in mine likes a certain cave and one time while I was moving from one tank to another I forget about him in the rush and she survive out of water for a few minutes. She then hid out for a day after that experience. :)

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are supposedly completely communal. Mine is out and about all day long, not at all cryptic. But I've been told they're even more bold in groups. All I can tell you is I've seen videos of groups of 5+ hanging out together with no issues.
Good to hear! I’ve onky heard good things about these guys

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/fish/index.php

Assessors and Dottybacks can work well in a big tank with lots of space and hiding. They can be a shy fish and hide a lot it depends on tank mates.
They do like caves to hide in mine likes a certain cave and one time while I was moving from one tank to another I forget about him in the rush and she survive out of water for a few minutes. She then hid out for a day after that experience. :)
Good to hear! I’ll try and keep mine in the water though hahaah

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a Randall’s in a 20 gal reef tank....they dart at each other on occasion but nothing too serious.....usually only happens when one comes too close to the others chosen cave dwelling. Mine each have a chosen sleeping/safety cave they tend to dart into when startled....ie water change time lol....they both sleep in their chosen caves at night. My yellow swims upside down almost 100% of the time even during feedings. My Randall’s swims upside down when in the rockwork but right side up every where else. They are both out and about all the time....hope this helps :)

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assessors are so neat, mine only swims upside down now, all the time. It's quite funny to watch reactions of those that don't realize this is normal, they think it's dying or something.
Haha so funny! How many are you keeping??

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a Randall’s in a 20 gal reef tank....they dart at each other on occasion but nothing too serious.....usually only happens when one comes too close to the others chosen cave dwelling. Mine each have a chosen sleeping/safety cave they tend to dart into when startled....ie water change time lol....they both sleep in their chosen caves at night. My yellow swims upside down almost 100% of the time even during feedings. My Randall’s swims upside down when in the rockwork but right side up every where else. They are both out and about all the time....hope this helps :)
Hope mine swims upside down!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha so funny! How many are you keeping??
Just a single one. If I ever come across the Randals blue I will pick that up too. A neat fish, but a bit shy at times, though also out quite often. Mine hangs out in the back rear of the tank under the monticap.

I will say the yellow is very muted versus what people think of a yellow fish. Certainly not vibrant like a tang.

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See and my yellow assessor is from ORA and is a bright yellow tang kinda yellow, with bright blue eyes and bright orange markings outlining the dorsal, pelvic, and through his eyes like eyeliner

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the yellow is very muted versus what people think of a yellow fish. Certainly not vibrant like a tang.

Wild caught specimens have far more vibrant coloring.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a pair of the ORA captive bred yellow ones, they spawned pretty regularly but I never tried to raise any of the fry.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellow assessors and one supposedly Randall's (I think it's a blue) assessor in my 150 g tank with lots of nooks and crannies. Had them for a couple of years with no problem. Added five anthias a few months ago and the assessor's disappeared for a few weeks but now they come out occasionally although not as often as before.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back