OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the stand today - it’s heavy duty. Way over built for the tank, but that’s how I like it. I cut some 7/8” holes under each leg for the 5/8” thread adjustable feet posts to run through and then welded the nut over the hole. My welding skills are pretty rusty (pun here, get it?) but they are bombproof. They won’t be very visible but I grinded the welds down a bit so it will be less noticeable. I ran out of Argon with 3 more to weld so I’ll be a little late dropping this off to get powder coated on Monday.

2BC8E061-7610-40FF-8AF0-FDE6AC420004.jpeg

A1D950D1-A853-4B2C-8B57-B7C304567A48.jpeg

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger tank = more corals = cheaper to grow = cheaper corals to sell to us right?

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger tank = more corals = cheaper to grow = cheaper corals to sell to us right?

Uh...yeah! I’ve been collecting some really cool new pieces, still only frags but starting to grow a little. I said I was going to hold out until my new tank was going but I just can’t control myself. A few of the Battlecorals pieces are really looking nice. I think I bought like 30 from him between the two boxes. He has a very nice collection and is great to buy from.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy cow. it took me 2 hrs to go through the 20 frags from you. 30 frags is nuts, i'd need a 2nd 5 gallon bucket to dip lol

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a little stressed about mixing the names up at first when I get a bunch at one time. I’m pretty detailed about keeping track of them but there have been a couple that have been switcharood on me that I didn’t realize until they got big. I’ve been buying fewer at a time lately and getting things only on my want list instead of things just for fun. I mean it’s still for fun either way!

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a little stressed about mixing the names up at first when I get a bunch at one time. I’m pretty detailed about keeping track of them but there have been a couple that have been switcharood on me that I didn’t realize until they got big. I’ve been buying fewer at a time lately and getting things only on my want list instead of things just for fun. I mean it’s still for fun either way!
yea i really like the process you used. i used it for my last purchase, worked out extremely well. way better than me taking a photo of the bag w/ name and trying to figure it out later

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thw tank is coming along nice, but I love the Metallica shirt in the beginning pics.

Yes! I saw them last in 2019. One of many times. First time was in 1989 I think at the Monsters of Rock tour at Arrowhead Stadium, home of the Chieeeeeeeeeeeerrfs!!!

88B34997-CA03-4597-BDC8-71F1CDCCF3E7.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still doing boring remodeling stuff I won’t bore y’all with, but thought I would share a couple of pics of my sump room located in the floor below in our basement and 10 feet ish to the side of where the display is. I was going to clean it up but was like, it’s a lot cleaner than normal and there’s really no need to bs these guys... you know. I kind of clean and polish to a degree, but I don’t really focus on how clean things are in the fish room. I need to tidy up the wires and things but as soon as I get them perfect, something goes out and it all gets ripped apart. This is what my normal - organized - I don't care - (but I do) - organization looks like. It’s been this way for almost 20 years.

I love the gorgeous builds with lovely plumbing and stuff but even though I’ve done things for a long while, I change things around here and there because of reading about successes of other folks, being frustrated with an inconsistent chem, or adding a new piece of equipment. I can’t afford to do color coordinated pipes - no way. As soon as I get it all glued in - I am ready to change something right away. I envy you guys with the forethought to be able to plan for this madness. Anyways, we need to clean this up...

The coral holding tank for the new tank.

6A8DF957-9E66-44B9-99C8-FB89A4FB1704.jpeg

The return drops up down in to a manifold tank with the chaeto, half of the flow goes to the skimmer and half to the frag/qt tank. I turn the flow off of this when I I need to use it as a qt. Far right is an Aquarium Engineering Dual Stacked ACR 8” calcium reactor, with a buffering chamber to raise the ph some, I think.

F356F8D8-5489-4F12-B182-E8AC938C9F32.jpeg

Rodi on top. This one is make up water and gets pulled through a kalk stirrer via kamoer peristaltic pump. I should replace this kalk at least once a month, cough cough, I know! Sometimes I do, I mean to, dont yell at me. The middle one is for mixing salt for water changes. Bottom one is the main sump full of live rock covered in sponge and a media chamber for Gfo - I’ll add a pic of this
2B172DF8-1AC0-41B6-8E87-DB594F2CAC88.jpeg

I was enjoying this fire as I was typing this :)

579EBF66-B6AE-4128-B810-01F2B8978147.jpeg

Last edited:

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your corals speak for themselves, no need to change anything.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized we are going to have almost identical tanks!

I dunno, I have some pretty big shoes to fill there bud. Your build is amazing! It’s what helped me decide that 36” wide wasn’t enough. A little different overflow though. I’m having them waterjet a notch out in the back glass and have a complete external overflow. I don’t like cleaning the internal overflow like I have on the 270 now and had on the old main display.

The room is pretty much done. I have a couple of the older outlets to replace and I’m ready for a tank. Oh and windows, but they won’t be here for a month or two and I’m having them install those. There’s some blue tape on the floor that marks where the tank will sit.

E733683A-58E5-48E7-8CF6-8DB738B3EEAA.jpeg

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, I have some pretty big shoes to fill there bud. Your build is amazing! It’s what helped me decide that 36” wide wasn’t enough. A little different overflow though. I’m having them waterjet a notch out in the back glass and have a complete external overflow. I don’t like cleaning the internal overflow like I have on the 270 now and had on the old main display.

The room is pretty much done. I have a couple of the older outlets to replace and I’m ready for a tank. Oh and windows, but they won’t be here for a month or two and I’m having them install those. There’s some blue tape on the floor that marks where the tank will sit.

E733683A-58E5-48E7-8CF6-8DB738B3EEAA.jpeg

HA! I am sure you can fill those shoes an more, I saw those colonies in holding tanks... You will love the 48" width trust me. It will be so hard to every go back to a more slender tank.

How are you going to cover the external overflow. Tall posts the back up to the wall that are removable? Or just going to leave the gap?

Room looks good!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...How are you going to cover the external overflow. Tall posts the back up to the wall that are removable? Or just going to leave the gap?

Thank you! The room remodel was much needed.

I’m going to have a 3 to 4” wide panel that runs from the floor to the top of the tank held on with some magnets to hide the overflow and the power bricks for the lights and pumps. The outside end of the stand toward the wall will have a panel to box that in so you can’t see all that junk. Everything under the footprint of the tank will be left open and I’m having the stand powder coated and color matched to the trim which is a Sherwin Williams color, 50% Vellum. Hope to pick that up in a couple of days.

Here’s a pic of my goofy Naso just sleeping on the bottom of the frag tank. I love this fish. He does little circles when I walk in to the room and eats out of my hand.

28CBB8C2-5FEB-4B46-A8D9-2CF56715498C.jpeg

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The room remodel was much needed.

I’m going to have a 3 to 4” wide panel that runs from the floor to the top of the tank held on with some magnets to hide the overflow and the power bricks for the lights and pumps. The outside end of the stand toward the wall will have a panel to box that in so you can’t see all that junk. Everything under the footprint of the tank will be left open and I’m having the stand powder coated and color matched to the trim which is a Sherwin Williams color, 50% Vellum. Hope to pick that up in a couple of days.

Here’s a pic of my goofy Naso just sleeping on the bottom of the frag tank. I love this fish. He does little circles when I walk in to the room and eats out of my hand.

28CBB8C2-5FEB-4B46-A8D9-2CF56715498C.jpeg
I like it. Excited to see the system up. The open stand will be a cool concept. I will be honest I have had plans to similar style covers to hide everything against the wall and still haven't gotten around to it...

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chefbuddy24 brought me a surprise today for the new tank. He has some really nice euphelia so we are going to do some swapping for some of my sps. It’s great making a new local reefin friend. Trading is my favorite...

Super cool torch - more of an orange tint in person though
904A9E89-9890-4902-A95D-6B13E65F358D.jpeg

And a Duncan which is special to me because I lost a massive Duncan colony of several hundred heads this year along with all my nice chalices due to some bad batches of Reef Crystals

A03A54F2-9CB9-43A3-9D1F-C3C87211C17D.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a dismal week in KC: Chiefs forgot to show up for the Super Bowl and it’s single digit temperature outside all week. My fish don’t know the difference though. These guys are all fat and happy, always ready for a photobomb.

The folks in the Lagoon
BCBCCFE6-E382-4A51-A783-70A929660F2C.jpeg

The 270 crew. This tank is in my basement, same system as everything else.
86B99129-5600-4B6E-B27A-69DDBDF86905.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back