OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Planet Aquariums directly about the delay on my build and they told me that they can’t get low iron glass til mid-May. So it looks like June before I get a tank.

Cornbred’s Sex on the Beach is showing some sweet looking grafting on the new growth

CB Sex on the Beach.jpg

Some really old lobos

Lobo.jpg

Last edited:

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! 100mm isn't to long for shooting from top down?

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how everything is virtual... I would love to learn how to take photos of corals like you do. I have a decent dslr but I have zero idea how to use it!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how everything is virtual... I would love to learn how to take photos of corals like you do. I have a decent dslr but I have zero idea how to use it!

Man this one is pretty easy. I turn the lighting temp to Kelvin 10k, keep shutter speed over 80 and the iso as low as I can without it getting grainy. I’m going to try some longer exposures some day when I have some time. The colors are much deeper and the closeups on the polyps are super sharp with the slower shutter speed.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Planet Aquariums directly about the delay on my build and they told me that they can’t get low iron glass til mid-May. So it looks like June before I get a tank.

Cornbred’s Sex on the Beach is showing some sweet looking grafting on the new growth

CB Sex on the Beach.jpg

Some really old lobos

Love the thread.

I thought they had told you the tank was curing 2 weeks ago...

Also, how are those Eames replicas?

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of new additions: Alkatronic and Neptune Apex.

I need to be able to monitor and adjust Alk while I’m away from home so this is what I settled on because of the consistency and accuracy it’s users describe. At first I had some connectivity issues with the Alkatronic and ultra slow responses from customer service that took a week but ultimately found that I needed a firmware update on the unit. I really like it for testing for sure but the dosing portion I think needs some dialing in. I noticed that it dosed Alk last night and then I had a pretty big spike afterwards. It auto dosed over 100ml which seems like too much, but it goes by volume so maybe my Alk concentration is stronger than what is recommended. I have to read up on that some more. It is a really cool machine though!

I bought the Apex to monitor temp and control the hot/cold actuator valves and motor for my heat exchanger, and also to open a solenoid to flush my ACR while simultaneously cutting power to the co2 module for 30 seconds a day. All this works great so far and all I have left to do is program and test the outlet to turn off the co2 box. I like it so far for the temp readings, the programming is straight forward, and the GUI is killer. All of the other probes and measurements are complete garbage.

6EE3EEB8-3A7D-4C69-9E7B-1D0A8EFE7BCB.jpeg

The salinity and ph are miles off with the Apex. Temp is accurate
347F52DA-BAB8-4B52-8146-D6C4662C0226.png

The alkatronic is still dialing in. Closer than .1 difference with Hanna now consistently
6DDB891B-D9CC-4160-8128-8938AACF2A80.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible build and house remodel! Looks amazing. Very nice selection of sticks too. And a bottle of Blantons...Nice score!

Thank you! I still have a couple unopened bottles of the Blantons. It’s so dang hard to find now that I can’t bring myself to open another one. I like McKenna 10 almost as much and can usually find that when I’m running low. SPS and bourbon are both dangerously expensive guilty pleasures.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I still have a couple unopened bottles of the Blantons. It’s so dang hard to find now that I can’t bring myself to open another one. I like McKenna 10 almost as much and can usually find that when I’m running low. SPS and bourbon are both dangerously expensive guilty pleasures.
100% right there with you! That is the sole reason I put a bar around my tank, no other way to experience it.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the tank delay. Curious why you went Alkatronic vs Trident? (definitively, not suggesting Trident is better fwiw)

The hype around BT stuff these days is absolutely insane, sadly its spilled over into the entire bourbon landscape...

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the tank delay. Curious why you went Alkatronic vs Trident? (definitively, not suggesting Trident is better fwiw)

The hype around BT stuff these days is absolutely insane, sadly its spilled over into the entire bourbon landscape...

I see a lot of used Tridents up for sale, people having trouble keeping them calibrated with brand new reagent, having to buy multiple batches of reagent to get a good one, and expensive reagents. There are probably a lot more of them out there though so more would be turning over in the used market. I kept reading about how consistent and accurate the AT and GHL are so really it was down to those two. The programming is known to be very difficult with GHL and getting connected to wireless for the GHL already had me at a standstill with my 2.1sa doser. A local friend @tgbaby had a AT that he wanted to offload and there is no new stock and none for sale used, so getting the AT from him was an easy choice.

As far as the availability of allocated bourbon... Facebook groups, secondary resellers, and the increase of alcohol consumption during the covid junk has made it nearly impossible to find anything on the shelf. My response to the market shortage: drink less, go to the gym more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eames replicas arrived! I really love these chairs - they are so comfortable and compact. The area where they sit was intended to be a formal dining room but the room is so small that sitting around the table we had in there felt so cramped. These little loungers are great and I have from here a great view of the neighbor’s flowering trees and bushes. Someday soon I will enjoy a nice view of a reef tank from these same seats.

536041D0-A2F4-435A-8BF4-C5A45ED45CFD.jpeg

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of used Tridents up for sale, people having trouble keeping them calibrated with brand new reagent, having to buy multiple batches of reagent to get a good one, and expensive reagents. There are probably a lot more of them out there though so more would be turning over in the used market. I kept reading about how consistent and accurate the AT and GHL are so really it was down to those two. The programming is known to be very difficult with GHL and getting connected to wireless for the GHL already had me at a standstill with my 2.1sa doser. A local friend @tgbaby had a AT that he wanted to offload and there is no new stock and none for sale used, so getting the AT from him was an easy choice.

As far as the availability of allocated bourbon... Facebook groups, secondary resellers, and the increase of alcohol consumption during the covid junk has made it nearly impossible to find anything on the shelf. My response to the market shortage: drink less, go to the gym more.

Extremely fair points, I am very close to considering a move away from Trident. The "calibrated" values are definitely far off what I am seeing with other tests Hanna/Salifert/Red Sea by about .8-.9 DKH/50Ca/40Mg which is "fine" if they are stable. But for the price of the product I shouldn't have to convert values mentally to what they actually are. In general I've had a few hundred dollars worth of Neptune gear fail in the last year too, no fault of mine... Needless to say, I'm curious on alternatives... Agreed with GHL, the doser I had was a royal pain to connect to and program. Extremely slow response times... Hopefully the AK works better for you! I do like the way the same company has a tester for N/P too. If it's accurate and precise, basically removes need for manual testing completely...

It's crazy how the rise of social media and secondary markets has "ruined" so many industries. Not going to lie, a good percentage of Whiskey I stocked up on years ago because it was difficult to find and I enjoyed it; I'm now afraid to open. I've had bottles increase hundreds in worth... I don't actively hoard anymore, but it definitely is interesting. When people are paying $100+ for strictly mediocre bourbon due to the name, then driving scarcity it quickly lost appeal. Blantons is a perfect example, it was an good bourbon in a cool bottle. The price was only ever "fair" not great at recent MSRPs yet people are paying near double MSRP? Laughable.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the alkatronic treating you? I have one on the way that I’m impatiently waiting for…

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely fair points, I am very close to considering a move away from Trident. The "calibrated" values are definitely far off what I am seeing with other tests Hanna/Salifert/Red Sea by about .8-.9 DKH/50Ca/40Mg which is "fine" if they are stable. But for the price of the product I shouldn't have to convert values mentally to what they actually are. In general I've had a few hundred dollars worth of Neptune gear fail in the last year too, no fault of mine... Needless to say, I'm curious on alternatives... Agreed with GHL, the doser I had was a royal pain to connect to and program. Extremely slow response times... Hopefully the AK works better for you! I do like the way the same company has a tester for N/P too. If it's accurate and precise, basically removes need for manual testing completely...

It's crazy how the rise of social media and secondary markets has "ruined" so many industries. Not going to lie, a good percentage of Whiskey I stocked up on years ago because it was difficult to find and I enjoyed it; I'm now afraid to open. I've had bottles increase hundreds in worth... I don't actively hoard anymore, but it definitely is interesting. When people are paying $100+ for strictly mediocre bourbon due to the name, then driving scarcity it quickly lost appeal. Blantons is a perfect example, it was an good bourbon in a cool bottle. The price was only ever "fair" not great at recent MSRPs yet people are paying near double MSRP? Laughable.
Welcome to the world of luxury watches. It seems similar things are happening across all types of interests. You could walk into a Rolex dealer with $40,000 in hand and walk out with a whole lot of nothing. Same for a few of the high horology brands as well

Back