Panic's 360g SPS Peninsula

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The back glass was supposed to be black with only the notch cut out of the overflow visible. The overflow is very noticeable, so the opposite of what I ordered.

They could send a piece of black glass to overlay the back and a tech to install it, refund some money if I have to sub it out, or pick it up and send me a new tank. I’m not moving it myself again, especially not twice. I also don’t want to fiddle with the overflow and void the warranty. I’m pretty bummed out with it right now.

7EB871AC-EEA8-4A22-8E27-BC87FEDA956F.jpeg

A38E8294-064D-4436-A8FE-37BA77A722FA.jpeg

E14D1FE2-B0BA-4609-BB0B-29696C8E93ED.jpeg
I might be misunderstanding what you're saying - but this is a peninsula (I thought) - and in that case - in your pictures it looks like the 'back' is black? Or is that just the lighting? I'm not sure why they would put the overflow on the long side of a peninsula build though? - or am I completely misunderstanding what you're trying to show?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - now I think I see what you mean - what I thought was a lengthwise picture of the tank - was in fact the back - which indeed looks clear. There are lots of ways you can take care of this - i.e. painting the side black, etc. There are numerous threads that mention the best type to use. I would indeed (assuming its clear in your order) - ask for a replacement tank - or a discount (i.e. the cost of them shipping a new tank, your shipping of this tank, etc) which I would imaging would be a thousand dollars or so?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is going to be a great place for this tank!
I will be interested in seeing how the owner likes the location (once its set up) given the amount of light that is present on both sides of the room. one of my regrets is / was placing one of my tanks (200 gallon FW) parallel to a window. Even with the lights on - there is still a huge reflection for most of the day.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get it replaced. this looks like its going to be a massive/expensive build and all you're going to be thinkinga bout is, this isn't what you wanted.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, disheartening, but I’m always looking for a solution first even though I’m curious how it will end up. I’m too nice at a fault most of the time but I sleep well at night. Planet has heard me and is working on some ideas, most not ok with me so far. My favorite easy idea, if it would work, is to laminate black painted or wrapped glass to the back panel using silicon. It would give it the look I need, so I’d be ok with that. Low iron glass is expensive and it would be a big loss if they had to replace the tank, so I want to see what we can do before we go down that road.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back glass was supposed to be black with only the notch cut out of the overflow visible. The overflow is very noticeable, so the opposite of what I ordered.

They could send a piece of black glass to overlay the back and a tech to install it, refund some money if I have to sub it out, or pick it up and send me a new tank. I’m not moving it myself again, especially not twice. I also don’t want to fiddle with the overflow and void the warranty. I’m pretty bummed out with it right now.

7EB871AC-EEA8-4A22-8E27-BC87FEDA956F.jpeg

A38E8294-064D-4436-A8FE-37BA77A722FA.jpeg

E14D1FE2-B0BA-4609-BB0B-29696C8E93ED.jpeg

Oh yeah I won't sugar coat it. Defiantly noticeable... dang I would have a tech come out and insert a new piece. I would hate to send it back and wait for a new tank

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exiting, I have always wanted a 4 ft deep tank, but for now my im nuvo 10 works

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the tank debacle: they are sending me a 3/8” piece of glass to laminate over the back wall that will be Cnc cut to the same spec as the original panel, but 1/4” smaller so I can get it in there and glue it in. It should look exactly how I want it, just a little more work.

Here’s the bummer: my mp40s will work with the 3/4” glass, but not on what the back glass will be after this. Almost 1-1/4”. So now I’m going to have to buy four mp60. Expensive...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update on the tank debacle: they are sending me a 3/8” piece of glass to laminate over the back wall that will be Cnc cut to the same spec as the original panel, but 1/4” smaller so I can get it in there and glue it in. It should look exactly how I want it, just a little more work.

Here’s the bummer: my mp40s will work with the 3/4” glass, but not on what the back glass will be after this. Almost 1-1/4”. So now I’m going to have to buy four mp60. Expensive...
You may also find that some pumps will work on that thickness of glass. I'm a little curious - why does it have to be a 3/8 inch piece of glass - as compared to just painting it?

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also find that some pumps will work on that thickness of glass. I'm a little curious - why does it have to be a 3/8 inch piece of glass - as compared to just painting it?

The thing that’s visible can’t be fixed from the outside of the glass unless the tank is disassembled so the fix has to be from the inside

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing that’s visible can’t be fixed from the outside of the glass unless the tank is disassembled so the fix has to be from the inside
That makes sense. Could you use a thin piece of black acrylic?

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF8E1827-6627-4E1E-BD07-985C61655465.jpeg

Heck Yeah Panic! Fight Fire with Fire!
Git-R-Done! Looking good. Saw TallicA first of many times in 94’. Panic is my new jam! WSP! Looks like you’re going to have a Rockin new Tank!
2EDF719F-6F88-4261-8AAA-A0E13877D9E2.jpeg

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s inevitable that you want MP60s in that tank so I think it’s a blessing in disguise.
I rather run MP60 at low pow then MP40 at high power. The flow will be better and the noise will be better too with the MP60 at low power vs. MP40.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF8E1827-6627-4E1E-BD07-985C61655465.jpeg

Heck Yeah Panic! Fight Fire with Fire!
Git-R-Done! Looking good. Saw TallicA first of many times in 94’. Panic is my new jam! WSP! Looks like you’re going to have a Rockin new Tank!
2EDF719F-6F88-4261-8AAA-A0E13877D9E2.jpeg

I so miss concerts. I have decided that my days of spending $200 on concert tix are over though. I have just as much fun watching good live music at a smaller venue.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s inevitable that you want MP60s in that tank so I think it’s a blessing in disguise.
I rather run MP60 at low pow then MP40 at high power. The flow will be better and the noise will be better too with the MP60 at low power vs. MP40.

I feel the same too on mp60s being best for the tank, especially since I want to keep the powerheads on the back wall. I certainly wasn’t planning on spending any money on more flow, and it’s going to be a lot.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Doug,
With a 70” of length, I’m not sure if the MP60s all on one side will be strong enough to get flow to the other side of the tank. I wasn’t successful of using MP60 all on one side on my previous tank of 72”x48”. It just wasn’t enough flow on the other end. You also have to remember with the external overflow box, the Vortech will be limited on where you can place it. You also have to remember the Vortech is really great at 60% of power or less but anything more than 70%, it isn’t exactly a quiet pump anymore. I was using Tunze 6255s and was able to place the magnet in the overflow box and kept the pumps all on one side. But the first 12” of the tank near the pump was unuseable in term of coral placement.
As much as we all want pumps on one side on a peninsula tank, it’s really difficult to find a solution without having - blasting zone in the first 12” near the pumps and have adequate flow on the end.
Are you going to have a canopy over the tank or a light fixture hanging over the tank? If canopy, maybe you can route some pipes over the eurobrace of the tank and get some flow on the other end.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Doug,
With a 70” of length, I’m not sure if the MP60s all on one side will be strong enough to get flow to the other side of the tank. I wasn’t successful of using MP60 all on one side on my previous tank of 72”x48”. It just wasn’t enough flow on the other end. You also have to remember with the external overflow box, the Vortech will be limited on where you can place it. You also have to remember the Vortech is really great at 60% of power or less but anything more than 70%, it isn’t exactly a quiet pump anymore. I was using Tunze 6255s and was able to place the magnet in the overflow box and kept the pumps all on one side. But the first 12” of the tank near the pump was unuseable in term of coral placement.
As much as we all want pumps on one side on a peninsula tank, it’s really difficult to find a solution without having - blasting zone in the first 12” near the pumps and have adequate flow on the end.
Are you going to have a canopy over the tank or a light fixture hanging over the tank? If canopy, maybe you can route some pipes over the eurobrace of the tank and get some flow on the other end.
The other suggestion might be to use a maxspect gyre on each side - as compared to the MP60's. You can run the cord over the top of the tank, it would be about 2 inches below the surface of the narrow side of the peninsula. On the black side it would not matter.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Doug,

I"m not planning on having a canopy over the tank, so keeping the top clean is a goal. I I plan to run wires across to the end for a Gyre like @rds85 has done in his. I have put off buying one just to see how things go, but I should probably get a pair, one for the end and another for the overflow box.

They have cut the piece of 3/8" glass for the back of the tank at Planet and say that it and some black silicoln will be here next week. I have the tank empty and dry again, so I'm ready to glue it in whenever it arrives.

Back