PAR and corals

Steve Maxwell

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
536
Reaction score
239
Location
Pearland, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I borrowed one of my club's PAR meters and did some readings on my tanks. I also looked up the corals that I still have on frag plugs to see what their "recommended" PAR levels were. So my question is...If the "recommended" level is 150-250, does this mean that the max should be 150-250 at any one time...or several hours out of the day it should be 150-250...or most of the day it should be between 150-250? I know this is all subjective and varies widely between corals, but I'd like to use this as a starting point.

Thanks!
 
Id say most of the day. Higher par shouldnt be a problem up to 500.
 
most white papers ive read usually use 200 or 300 par as the baseline for sps.

that being said. 6-8 hours of "peak" lighting would be a good starting point.

since all of our lighting is different you may tweak it in a direction uncommon to others.

for example. my peak lighting is 6 hours and most of my sps are hit between 5-600 par. my sandbed pushes 300 par. Because there isnt a lack of nutrient in my system, i can push a higher number. if you run cleaner (0 nitrates and phosphates) you will have to run lower par.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new