PAR / PUR / Spectrum etc ...

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of us truly understand the importance of these measurements within lighting and our reef tanks?

I produced a video 'hoping' to help those who dont quite understand it! - Hope you enjoy it :)

Where did you shoot the video of the corals at the beginning

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoyed watching - professionally done. Glad to see some of the work I did in Hawaii made it across the Pond! A couple of comments - Zooxanthellae do not contain chlorophyll b (it does contain c2 along with chlorophyll a.) You mentioned zooxanthellate clades require different spectra. Would you expound upon this?

OP
OP
DansReef.co.uk

DansReef.co.uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paullawr - a local fish store that's now closed down in Norfolk, UK.

Dana - well what a privilege. A reefing celebrity and to receive a compliment from you is quite special. Thank you.

Ref your comments; I don't believe I said Zooxanthellae contain Chlorophyll B, I mentioned common Photosynthetic cells (i.e. A, B & carotenoids). I may have discussed the subjects back to back and perhaps that gave the incorrect impression (fingers crossed it doesn't).

Reference my comments about clades requiring different Spectra, not all clades have all cell types. Clades will have different spectra requirements based on their adaption, even the same clades can require different spectra depending on where they may be found. They also have the ability to adapt 'albeit only in small amount' and thus a single species may prefer one level of spectra if found in location A but a different level if found in location B.

Hopefully that makes sense, again really appreciate you commenting.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info, I always enjoy and pull information for your videos.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome jsker, thank you for watching! - Hope your subscribed ;)

Been a subscriber for a long time. You helped me when I first install my Hydra 26 hd with the settings and upload of the settings. I did tweak them some along the way and now I have my system in the groove for the tank lighting.

OP
OP
DansReef.co.uk

DansReef.co.uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a subscriber for a long time. You helped me when I first install my Hydra 26 hd with the settings and upload of the settings. I did tweak them some along the way and now I have my system in the groove for the tank lighting.

I dont remember, but then I get about 150 messages a week lol .. glad your lights are working out well.

K100286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of us truly understand the importance of these measurements within lighting and our reef tanks?

I produced a video 'hoping' to help those who dont quite understand it! - Hope you enjoy it :)

Kessil lights are already programmed with the correct spectrum. You might want to mention this because reefers in must cases don’t have the ability to get the correct spectrum on their own.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back