PAR / PUR / Spectrum etc ...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by DansReef.co.uk, Jan 24, 2018.

1. DansReef.co.uk

DansReef.co.uk Active Member

How many of us truly understand the importance of these measurements within lighting and our reef tanks?

I produced a video 'hoping' to help those who dont quite understand it! - Hope you enjoy it :)

Humphrey, NY_Caveman, jsker and 2 others like this.

2. Paullawr

Paullawr Valuable Member

Where did you shoot the video of the corals at the beginning

jsker likes this.
  3. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor

Enjoyed watching - professionally done. Glad to see some of the work I did in Hawaii made it across the Pond! A couple of comments - Zooxanthellae do not contain chlorophyll b (it does contain c2 along with chlorophyll a.) You mentioned zooxanthellate clades require different spectra. Would you expound upon this?

DansReef.co.uk and jsker like this.
  4. DansReef.co.uk

Paullawr - a local fish store that's now closed down in Norfolk, UK.

Dana - well what a privilege. A reefing celebrity and to receive a compliment from you is quite special. Thank you.

Ref your comments; I don't believe I said Zooxanthellae contain Chlorophyll B, I mentioned common Photosynthetic cells (i.e. A, B & carotenoids). I may have discussed the subjects back to back and perhaps that gave the incorrect impression (fingers crossed it doesn't).

Reference my comments about clades requiring different Spectra, not all clades have all cell types. Clades will have different spectra requirements based on their adaption, even the same clades can require different spectra depending on where they may be found. They also have the ability to adapt 'albeit only in small amount' and thus a single species may prefer one level of spectra if found in location A but a different level if found in location B.

Hopefully that makes sense, again really appreciate you commenting.

Ergodyne and jsker like this.
  5. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor

OK! Thanks! Again, well done. I really liked the junk food/PUR analogies.

Ergodyne, DansReef.co.uk and jsker like this.
  6. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thank you for the info, I always enjoy and pull information for your videos.

DansReef.co.uk likes this.
  7. DansReef.co.uk

Awesome jsker, thank you for watching! - Hope your subscribed ;)

jsker likes this.
  8. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Been a subscriber for a long time. You helped me when I first install my Hydra 26 hd with the settings and upload of the settings. I did tweak them some along the way and now I have my system in the groove for the tank lighting.

9. DansReef.co.uk

I dont remember, but then I get about 150 messages a week lol .. glad your lights are working out well.

10. Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit Active Member

Good info. Enjoyed the watch.

DansReef.co.uk likes this.
  11. K100286

K100286 Active Member

Kessil lights are already programmed with the correct spectrum. You might want to mention this because reefers in must cases don’t have the ability to get the correct spectrum on their own.

Draft saved Draft deleted