Progress photos: DD/MM/YY

14/8/19
IMG_6802.JPG
IMG_6803.JPG

14/9/19 (bin is still empty)
4885FEA4-10D8-4B22-AD81-9F1CA89B1850.jpeg
648BB269-72F8-484A-83E8-CEA2C2E4C977.jpeg

thread starts here

This isn't exactly a build thread yet but once I get the tank it will be.

I'm planning on upgrading my 120L to a 215L tank (aqua one minireef 120 to aqua one minireef 215)

Unfortunately I had to turn down a offer for $200 AUD for a 600L tank as it would fall through my floor

I plan on stocking the tank with:

(From current tank)
occelarus clown pair
Bicolour blenny
Coral beauty
2x mandarin fish
2x fire goby

(New)
Copperband butterfly
Purple tang
White tail bristletooth tang
Flame angel

My research said this stocking will be okay what do you guys think?

For coral it will be sps dominant with a minimalistic aquascape sps at the top and some soft corals at the bottom, ideally 2 clams and two lobos on the sand or near the base of the rockwork

I'll also convert my current tank into a quarentene to avoid introducing any parasites including ich or other pests into the new tank

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An aquarium build starts with planning so you are well within the limits of a build thread! I look forward to seeing this come together - thanks for bringing us along on your adventure!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You will probably be okay, but candidly I am always leery of putting Tangs in a tank that size.

Let's see if we can get some other opinions on your stocking list...

#reefsquad

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably be okay, but candidly I am always leery of putting Tangs in a tank that size.

Let's see if we can get some other opinions on your stocking list...

#reefsquad
ok cool, thanks for the advice I might cut out the flame angel or one of the tangs depending on cost and what #reefsquad tells us

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some more research on quarantine and I think ill add all the corals and inverts to the tank before adding any fish to avoid quarantine for the corals since you can dip most coral pests off and any fish pests coming in on coral will starve, as
Flatworms fall of in freshwater dip
Nudibranchs should be simple to notice under examination
Red bugs can be treated with dips
Crabs etc can be spotted under examination
Ich will starve as well as velvet

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peace River @Hemmdog what do you think
Ive done some more research and ive changed up the stocking a little and decided on lights and powerheads

Stocking, Ill probably remove one of the wrasse but I think the stocking list should be okay as most of the fish are not aggressive and or are not active
White tail bristle tooth tang
Purple tang
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty
2x Clownfish
2x Firefish
Bicolour Blenny
2x Mandarin Fish
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Yellow Tail Wrasse

The lights I am looking at are LED due to power consumption, I needed two to cover both islands in the aquascape (I decided to have two islands in the scape to reduce aggression over territory between the tangs and angels) I was thinking of T5's for improved growth and no shimmer but I don't believe the gap in growth is too big and if the shimmer bothers me too much I can just get a diffuser.

2x AI Hydra 26
Not sure if I want to hang or mount them on the fixed arm
I prefer the look of hanging but I don't trust my roof with $1000 in lights

Powerheads
2x mp10
I need two powerbeads to do the wave motion flow which is apparently good for SPS which I will be focusing on in this tank, and the mp10's have a nice design wire wise and they are well documented both from the company and forums however they can't be rotated inside the tank but that isn't the most important feature in my mind.

Next I need to research skimmer's but I'm not sure what type to go with due to aqua ones sump design.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peace River @Hemmdog what do you think
Ive done some more research and ive changed up the stocking a little and decided on lights and powerheads

Stocking, Ill probably remove one of the wrasse but I think the stocking list should be okay as most of the fish are not aggressive and or are not active
White tail bristle tooth tang
Purple tang
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty
2x Clownfish
2x Firefish
Bicolour Blenny
2x Mandarin Fish
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Yellow Tail Wrasse

The lights I am looking at are LED due to power consumption, I needed two to cover both islands in the aquascape (I decided to have two islands in the scape to reduce aggression over territory between the tangs and angels) I was thinking of T5's for improved growth and no shimmer but I don't believe the gap in growth is too big and if the shimmer bothers me too much I can just get a diffuser.

2x AI Hydra 26
Not sure if I want to hang or mount them on the fixed arm
I prefer the look of hanging but I don't trust my roof with $1000 in lights

Powerheads
2x mp10
I need two powerbeads to do the wave motion flow which is apparently good for SPS which I will be focusing on in this tank, and the mp10's have a nice design wire wise and they are well documented both from the company and forums however they can't be rotated inside the tank but that isn't the most important feature in my mind.

Next I need to research skimmer's but I'm not sure what type to go with due to aqua ones sump design.
This is a 56 gallon? That’s a lot of fish. I would for sure drop the purple tang and one of the dwarf angels, wait for the mandarins at least 6 months for a massive pod population to be in your tank. The wrasses and and all sound cool though! Two firefish can end badly so just expect there to be just one eventually, if they coexist peacefully you can be extra happy :) . The white tail bristletooth will most likely need to be rehomed or upgraded after a few years, they do stay smaller for a tang but they are very active swimmers and thrive in a tank 2 meters or more in length.

Lights sound perfect

Mp10’s are great, you might want to consider mp40’s if you want to do sps, I think you will be happier in the long run with them.

I’m excited for you! This is going to be a great tank!

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 56 gallon? That’s a lot of fish. I would for sure drop the purple tang and one of the dwarf angels, wait for the mandarins at least 6 months for a massive pod population to be in your tank. The wrasses and and all sound cool though! Two firefish can end badly so just expect there to be just one eventually, if they coexist peacefully you can be extra happy :) . The white tail bristletooth will most likely need to be rehomed or upgraded after a few years, they do stay smaller for a tang but they are very active swimmers and thrive in a tank 2 meters or more in length.

Lights sound perfect

Mp10’s are great, you might want to consider mp40’s if you want to do sps, I think you will be happier in the long run with them.

I’m excited for you! This is going to be a great tank!
@Hemmdog
1. Good point with the purple whats the reccomended tank size in your opinion?
2. With the dwarfs are you saying drop it due to stocking levels or aggression
3. the filefish I was mis informed and purchased for my 33G, one is the aggressor and I'm hoping I can seperate them when I tear the tank down to convert to a quarentene and they might ignore each other in a bigger tank
4. What tank size would you say to keep it for its full life?
5. what tank size would you say to keep all of these fish happily?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to @Hemmdog I realised the tank was going to be too small for the two tangs and knowing myself I would likely end up getting one if I upgraded to the 215L so ill save the fish some stress and Look into a larger tank, new theory is the
Red Sea reefer 350
2x Hydra 26's
1-2 MP40's
Red Sea 600 skimmer
Eco tech vectra s2

do you think that would be big enough @Hemmdog

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to @Hemmdog I realised the tank was going to be too small for the two tangs and knowing myself I would likely end up getting one if I upgraded to the 215L so ill save the fish some stress and Look into a larger tank, new theory is the
Red Sea reefer 350
2x Hydra 26's
1-2 MP40's
Red Sea 600 skimmer

do you think that would be big enough @Hemmdog
That would be better for the white tail bristletooth, purple tangs get big. I wouldn’t do a purple in less than a 180 gallon. That’s a good skimmer choice too, nice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many of the mentioned livestock will need as Hemmdog mentioned at least 180 gallons. The nut and type if fish you mentioned would do well in my 660g to give you an idea of space requirements

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be better for the white tail bristletooth, purple tangs get big. I wouldn’t do a purple in less than a 180 gallon. That’s a good skimmer choice too, nice.
Okay anything Similar to the purple tang you would reccomend? Or how long could I keep a purple in there before it out grew the tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay anything Similar to the purple tang you would reccomend? Or how long could I keep a purple in there before it out grew the tank
Tomini tang

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing more research on the Red Sea reefer 350 option.
New planned hardware:
Red Sea reefer 350
Vectra s2
2x hydra 26
2 mp40
Red Sea 600 skimmer
2x aqua one 300w heaters
Jebao dosing pump + slave pump
Tunze ATO if the Red Sea one breaks
a mesh cover broken into three sections, at my work I accidentally broke a tank due to the glass lid being wet so I have a fear of removing and replacing them for any reason now, I don't want fear to be part of tank matinance or feeding

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did some more research and found purple is okay in 75 gallon if there is high flow and open rockwork , what do you think
In a 75 gallon, yes but as it approaches 4”, will require more room. Tangs like to swim back and forth in any tank and 48” will become limited in time

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back