Pectinia care

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for feedback on how difficult Pectinia are to keep. My LFS just got a rainbow one in stock that is gorgeous, but pricey given it's rarity. I have been clearing out some of my more common corals so I can start adding some "show" colonies, but this one is a big jump and I'd hate to get something I'm not experienced enough to keep healthy. Not only do I want to be out the money, I'd hate to be the person to kill a coral as beautiful as this one is.

e.litvin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard they're are similar to chalices, low-med lighting and likewise with flow.

I'll be following along to hear some other opinions out there

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like I won't be getting it after all. We just bought a new house and I've been told it's the coral or the new furniture I want to order. We really need the furniture so I have to go with that option. That's what I get for talking out loud about what I'm thinking of buying. Lesson learned, keep silent! :) This is the one I was thinking of buying - Rainbow Pectinia - Barrier Reef Aquariums.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very nice pectina but you can find one just like it for a lot less money. I have two pectina corals and have had them both for well over a year. They are considered an expert only coral, but recently seem to be more hardy...similar to elegance coral.

My care for them, I have them in relatively medium to medium high flow...and they get a decent amount of light. One is in the center, getting light from both 250 w halides and is about two feet from the surface. The other is basically directly below one of my halides and is about 3 inches higher tab the one in the center. I have noticed that that are one of the first corals to start receding because of low alk. I used to have them on the sand bed, but noticed that anywhere that sand or rocks settled would start to die withing two days. They do recover damages areas relatively fast, but overall growth is extremely slow. I have only seen the polyp's on one of them twice. They poop all the time. Once acclimated to your system they are a place and forget coral, as long as your system is stable and you're maintaining your alk levels properly.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thanks for all of the info. I'm going to put a 360g tank in the new house and need to keep reminding myself that I shouldn't buy anything expensive and/or delicate that will have to go through a move and eventually a transfer into a new tank. I do see one in my future though.

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch Ebay for a pectinia frag just like that. I got one this week and the frag is HUGE. Same exact colors. I hope this does not violate any rules but it came from
"Donavons Reef".

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch Ebay for a pectinia frag just like that. I got one this week and the frag is HUGE. Same exact colors. I hope this does not violate any rules but it came from
"Donavons Reef".
Wow! Those are nice!

Reeferguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started My Pectinias like I do Most all My Lps; Low-low/mod Flow and lower Light but after doing alot of research I found the best placment for a Pectinia is in Moderate+ Flow and if you and the best way to place it is Horizontal. this seems the best way for them to grow and makes the fragging a lot easier. As anyone would know that has fragged a space invader, anything you can do to make it easier is a big help IMO..

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like I won't be getting it after all. We just bought a new house and I've been told it's the coral or the new furniture I want to order. We really need the furniture so I have to go with that option. That's what I get for talking out loud about what I'm thinking of buying. Lesson learned, keep silent! :) This is the one I was thinking of buying - Rainbow Pectinia - Barrier Reef Aquariums.
Bro... you can't spot feed a sofa and you can't drive a house. Your priorities are completely misguided here...

Luis leon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23843393_10213006672496028_8457662552813592497_n (1).jpg

Luis leon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine in medium flow and about 2 and a half feet from the water. I moved it from the sand to a rock and keeping it away from other corals since it has some fairly long sweepers.

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 peninsula with AI Hydra 26. It is Hardy and does well low to medium with good flow. Seems to be a fast grower as well. Just watch the placement for the sweepers

How can a 20 Peninsula have a coral thats 36" from the surface?

Luis leon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can a 20 Peninsula have a coral thats 36" from the surface?
HAHAHAHAH was an error obviously not since de height of the peninsula is only 12" . thank you for the correction. I was not even drinking, since I don't drink heheheh. but anyway the pectina is a few inches from the top of water.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back