Peppermint + Berghia Nudibranch

ConnivingPigeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfortunately dealing with a particularly big explosion of aptasia in my 13.5G tank. I purchased some aptasiaX and tried to get it at the start, but it seems to have just made them angry and spread more. I'm looking to buy some Berghia Nudibranch to deal with the infestation, but I'm concerned that the peppermint shrimp I have will go to town on them. Seeing as the shipping on the nudibranch is pretty ridiculous (esp if you only need a couple), I'd like to not have them get eaten immediately.

I don't know anyone in the area that I can rehome my shrimp temporarily, would it instead be possible to make a little box with acrylic to "jail" the shrimp for a few weeks while the nudibranches get to work?

Also, if you're in chicago and want to sell me a nudibranch or two, lemme know :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am unfortunately dealing with a particularly big explosion of aptasia in my 13.5G tank. I purchased some aptasiaX and tried to get it at the start, but it seems to have just made them angry and spread more. I'm looking to buy some Berghia Nudibranch to deal with the infestation, but I'm concerned that the peppermint shrimp I have will go to town on them. Seeing as the shipping on the nudibranch is pretty ridiculous (esp if you only need a couple), I'd like to not have them get eaten immediately.

I don't know anyone in the area that I can rehome my shrimp temporarily, would it instead be possible to make a little box with acrylic to "jail" the shrimp for a few weeks while the nudibranches get to work?

Also, if you're in chicago and want to sell me a nudibranch or two, lemme know :)
It may take more than a couple of weeks - i.e. a couple months. I would tend to go with more rather than fewer Berghia - especially if there is a heavy infestation. From reef town:

"At least 1 Berghia per 10 gallons or 2 Berghia per 10 Aiptasia plus one or more per additional 10 Aiptasia for a small infestation, but NEVER less than 2 pair of Berghia. Berghia NEED each other to Hunt, Feed & Breed. If you're not sure, it's best to overestimate rather than underestimate."

So for your 10 gallon - you would need four to start (at least)

PS - its recommended that you remove the peppermint shrimp - a box MIGHT work (unless the berghia crawl into it).

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy isolation boxes to hang on your tank. Since all it is is a little shrimp this small one would do the trick.
It may take more than a couple of weeks - i.e. a couple months. I would tend to go with more rather than fewer Berghia - especially if there is a heavy infestation. From reef town:

"At least 1 Berghia per 10 gallons or 2 Berghia per 10 Aiptasia plus one or more per additional 10 Aiptasia for a small infestation, but NEVER less than 2 pair of Berghia. Berghia NEED each other to Hunt, Feed & Breed. If you're not sure, it's best to overestimate rather than underestimate."

So for your 10 gallon - you would need four to start (at least)

PS - its recommended that you remove the peppermint shrimp - a box MIGHT work (unless the berghia crawl into it).

Attachments

• 91DBCDFD-BEB3-419D-B28A-04B417F24A79.png
    91DBCDFD-BEB3-419D-B28A-04B417F24A79.png
    304.3 KB · Views: 24

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back