perfect tabling acros?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking through a few threads with FTS of SPS tanks and it got me thinking, how do you guys get the perfect tabling acropora? Do you cut the frag as low down as you can once it starts to encrust onto the rock or frag tile/plug?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one tabler I have, I just glued the frag to my rock, and let it do it's thing. Tabled out on it's own.

Not much help, but I only have the one tabling acro.
That’s interesting, I keep thinking you have to cut the tip of it to get the “perfect” tabling species.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought tabling was a characteristic of specific acros .
but flow has a lot to do with how they grow .

for example : a plating monti will grow out more in the direction of flow . And cup upwards in lower flow

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought tabling was a characteristic of specific acros .
but flow has a lot to do with how they grow .

for example : a plating monti will grow out more in the direction of flow . And cup upwards in lower flow
100% agree! Tabling is the characteristic of how the coral grows. How it tables though, is effected by flow.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree! Tabling is the characteristic of how the coral grows. How it tables though, is effected by flow.
I assume it’ll table higher up if it’s in lower flow and then out in a certain direction to reach the higher flow then, also what are the easier tabling acros as I’m looking for different growth patterns of acropora instead of a nano with all the same growth patterns.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll defer to more experts on different tabling acro's. I only have the one, not knowing it was a tabling acro when I bought it(live sale impulse buy). It was just listed as an acropora.

20220521_074850.jpg

In the back is the tabling. Not the best pic, but it's at the back of the tank, and tabling over some other acro's/mili's.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes my tank is devoid of coralline, and no, it's not a new setup(it's actually going on 8 years with this tank!).

2 urchins take care of the coralline for me.
they're great at removing coralline, but don't they also move things around? I dispise coralline...and it's starting in my new tank.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're great at removing coralline, but don't they also move things around? I dispise coralline...and it's starting in my new tank.
Basically, if it ain't glued down, they will carry it around. I just make sure everything is glued down. Never had an issue with them carrying things around that I didn't want them to.

A frag rack might be tough with urchins. But I find mine leave my frags on the rack alone.

Back