Perry's 50Gallon AIO Waterbox Cube

woodguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt see the clowns till i blew up your tank shot, i kept wondering why you had a skimmer, beautiful tank, im thinking of making a aio out of a 30x24x18, leaving 6" for the rear chamber

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt see the clowns till i blew up your tank shot, i kept wondering why you had a skimmer, beautiful tank, im thinking of making a aio out of a 30x24x18, leaving 6" for the rear chamber

Thanks for stopping in on the journal :) Right now, I have an ORA Black Cardinal(beast), pair of True Percs, and Yasha Goby paired with pistol, as well as a fire blood shrimp. Not too much in the way of bio load. Plans to add fish slowly to the system, mainly nano size though. I still think skimming is important, and of course I use carbon and bacteria source, so a must. Albeit, I use 2 drops every other day of each, maintaining good levels, NO3-2.5ppm, and PO4- 0.02 Trying to keep a spot of nutrients is important for all the corals, so I also feed 2 times a day to fish, once pellets, the other frozen(Rods Reef). I also feed phyto plankton from AF, and corals foods from AF, ABEV, Ricco, and Coral Foods. I use Life Source every 3 weeks to maintain micro stability as well as natural feeding for corals.
The project sounds cool, if you don't want the hassle, Waterbox make some nice designs with large chambers. The ability to go custom is always a nice advantage, either way best of luck on the build :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few photos taken this AM, the Yasha has found it's mate, paired now with pistol, the burrow is next to a colorful Ironman Shroom :) Also a red leg hermit chilling on Spainbow, and a couple of others, thank for looking :)

IMG_9159.jpg

IMG_9156.jpg
IMG_9170.jpg
IMG_9176.jpg

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any trouble keeping the air intake clear on your skimmer? I have the hang on back version and salt or whatever seems to build up fairly quickly where the air injects into the pump.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good, man!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any trouble keeping the air intake clear on your skimmer? I have the hang on back version and salt or whatever seems to build up fairly quickly where the air injects into the pump.

Hey Man, just saw this today, so my bad for not getting back to you :) I have not noticed any issues, I periodically squeeze the tubing and wipe off any dust or creep. The skimmer gets pulled every three months for a thorough break down and cleanse. I do notice the performance increases dramatically. I tend to notice that I have to rise the collection cup after this cleanse, and over time it is lowered, this is what ultimately alerts me that it is not at peak performance. All of this being said, I absolutely love the skimmer, it rocks :)

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds about the same as mine. Good to know, thanks. I love mine as well. Like you, I just slowly lower the cup until cleaning time.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, long time stalker of your last tank on the other forum and have been excited to see this new tank evolve. Love the direction you’re going so far and can appreciate the difficulty of a mixed reef in a small tank!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, long time stalker of your last tank on the other forum and have been excited to see this new tank evolve. Love the direction you’re going so far and can appreciate the difficulty of a mixed reef in a small tank!

@Mattres thank you for checking in on my journal, and the last one too :) This project is a different focus. I still have crazy love for acros, but with all the beautiful variety of softies and lps corals out there, I felt compelled to do something different for a change. My last tank was my 3rd successful mature SPS dominated reef, this time I wanted to try my hand at a mixed reef. My goal is still the same, color, color, color. Most corals have been specifically selected in this tank, I would say that 75% were on a list, and it was a matter of crossing them off one by one. I still have room for about 8-10 more sps corals, and will add maybe 8-10 more varieties of paly/zoas, a few more acans, another torch, and highly colored shrooms. Thanks for checking things out mate! Cheers :)

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mattres thank you for checking in on my journal, and the last one too :) This project is a different focus. I still have crazy love for acros, but with all the beautiful variety of softies and lps corals out there, I felt compelled to do something different for a change. My last tank was my 3rd successful mature SPS dominated reef, this time I wanted to try my hand at a mixed reef. My goal is still the same, color, color, color. Most corals have been specifically selected in this tank, I would say that 75% were on a list, and it was a matter of crossing them off one by one. I still have room for about 8-10 more sps corals, and will add maybe 8-10 more varieties of paly/zoas, a few more acans, another torch, and highly colored shrooms. Thanks for checking things out mate! Cheers :)
That’s the beauty of reef tanks they can come in so many forms! I think switching it up every now and then helps keeps the hobby exciting and challenging. I’m almost going in the opposite direction as you have, had a small mixed reef and now attempting the SPS dominant tank. Having a very slow start though.. haha
It’s great you have a list of corals and a vision in mind! :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the beauty of reef tanks they can come in so many forms! I think switching it up every now and then helps keeps the hobby exciting and challenging. I’m almost going in the opposite direction as you have, had a small mixed reef and now attempting the SPS dominant tank. Having a very slow start though.. haha
It’s great you have a list of corals and a vision in mind! :)

Hey thanks for the reply,
I am loving the diversity of a mixed reef, it is challenging, but my method is effective at holding nutrients exactly where I want them. I have a very large clean up crew, and feel that is what allows for me to feed heavily, which I do. My corals are getting lots of food from fish feedings, and supplementing with coral foods and vitamins. I am using AF Probiotic Method to hold nutrients firm, by dosing NP Pro and Pro Bio S daily at 2 drops each. I miss a couple of days during the week, but no harm no foul. Water changes at 20% for now, with AF Reef Salt. Colors are coming since the lighting update, and now seeing growth on all corals. Thanks again for checking out the journal!
Cheers :)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Perry! I didn't realize you had a build thread on here. Consider it followed. Hope all is well sir!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Perry! I didn't realize you had a build thread on here. Consider it followed. Hope all is well sir!

Hey Tim,
How the heck are you, long time buddy! Since Hurricane Irma, and up until recently, I have been sort of lurking, just working on this setup. I have changed a few times from the original style of tank which started as a stick tank. I even ran a 250 watt halide over the tank. Irma sort of took that project down, as the power was out for a week. Only SPS died, fish lived, and a few softies. I was over it, so decided to run a softie dominated low bommie, but due to the tank height, the scape looked empty and sad to be honest. It was there that the idea of high end softies, lps, and ultimately some nice sps corals led me to try my hand at a mixed reef. I added some rock, and filled up the tank, using the top part of the reef for sps, and lower parts of the reef for my shrooms and other lps and softies. The tank is quite colorful, using the Probiotic Method from Aquaforest, and pulling nice colors and PE from all corals, really loving this reef :) I will be picking up 10 acro frags this weekend, including some named pieces. I will update accordingly :) Thanks for checking out the journal Tim!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jsker

Rimless cubes are kinda magical and you can nail the lighting.

:)
Tank #2 is supposed to be a 90 cube, rimless Freddie;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back