Perry's Shallow Water Acro Dominant Build Thread

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandpa was German, that's all ill say. :rolleyes: I was close to buying a bump and dent 8-bulb and carving out the center to
get that level of performance. I would also like to see the Noopsi hybrid in action.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ATI made a hybrid I would be all over it as well. Sadly I'm over here running Radions solo like a bum!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ATI made a hybrid I would be all over it as well. Sadly I'm over here running Radions solo like a bum!
Hey Tim,
Only led atm too. Starting to catch stride, something in change of adding sand and chaeto, not sure, but corals starting to look healthy. I just KNOW I can do pretty much anything I want under t5, but LEDs are a different animal. I am finally liking my tank, so going to continue the course for now :)
Make it a great year in reefing buddy!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandpa was German, that's all ill say. :rolleyes: I was close to buying a bump and dent 8-bulb and carving out the center to
get that level of performance. I would also like to see the Noopsi hybrid in action.
Sadly that's the only choice or their led, here's hoping :) Don't think it will happen though. :) let me know if you diy the ati, would love to follow along.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note.
Not out of game, but life comes first, had to put a declining tank on back burner, and focus on family priorities. I must admit I lost my desire to test, scrape glass, and basics during the holidays and have honestly questioned whether I can keep SPS. Hair algae has come back, and corals all look drab, but fish alive, and still being fed.
Yesterday I finally scraped front and side panels, what a pita, lol. I also am now only running the verve, over the tank, more than sufficient, as only a few LPS and shrooms are present. The skimmer has not been emptied in some time, so I did maintenance, and decided to tune skimmer to pull more out. Chaeto needs pruning, soon, it has been growing like crazy, likely a test will reveal high nutrients.
I have decided to dose micro bacter and Nitraphos minus to get nutrients down, no real threat of losing corals at this point, lol. Next I will be looking at updating lighting, pretty much sold on Geissemann Hybrid with the Geissemann Verve in between 2 t5s either side. I am pretty sure 4 t5s would be almost enough to support SPS, so with the Verve, this should be perfect.
In the meantime, just going to focus on cleaning up the tank and getting water as pristine as I can.
No real hurry, learned that one the hard way. The only good news is that coraline algae is still growing like crazy, if this is a barometer for keeping SPS, then I would imagine that the tank is almost ready. Time will tell.
Cheers All :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As man I hate when you get that feeling that it might not work. Keep at it because you know what to do!
Yeah,
Pretty brutal feeling for sure, this side of the hobby can be humbling. Things were rushed getting this tank going, had setbacks from the start, and tried to fight through them, SPS didn't appreciate the instability. I cannot really afford upgrades or stocking right now, which is fine, going to enjoy the tank as is, and in time, make some upgrades, and focus on getting things balanced in the meantime. Pretty certain my next update, hopefully sooner than later, will include lighting. I have time to make a solid choice, but pretty certain t5s are main focus in my decision making. Believe it or not, found an old school Tek 6 bulb fixture, for nearly 200 less than ATI, new. I already know this fixture works, personally. Best to all you Acro gurus, I will be back in the game eventually, lol!
Cheers

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
Pretty brutal feeling for sure, this side of the hobby can be humbling. Things were rushed getting this tank going, had setbacks from the start, and tried to fight through them, SPS didn't appreciate the instability. I cannot really afford upgrades or stocking right now, which is fine, going to enjoy the tank as is, and in time, make some upgrades, and focus on getting things balanced in the meantime. Pretty certain my next update, hopefully sooner than later, will include lighting. I have time to make a solid choice, but pretty certain t5s are main focus in my decision making. Believe it or not, found an old school Tek 6 bulb fixture, for nearly 200 less than ATI, new. I already know this fixture works, personally. Best to all you Acro gurus, I will be back in the game eventually, lol!
Cheers
There is nothing wrong with good ole T5. Set it and forget it!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to order Geissemann Stellar, hybrid 4xt5 system. Will be using 2C+ and 2B+ with both my led panels. Will be suspending light using the recommended suspension kit from Geissemann. A good reefing buddy of mine will be trimming, and is going to give me some SPS in a few weeks. So in the meantime, I am doing maintenance and focusing on stability. Went ahead and began automated alk and ca with BM doser.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your getting things back on track. Giesemann fixtures are awesome. Just don’t break anything on them. I needed a set of end caps and they were like $25 for 2 pairs the kicker $70 shipping cause it’s coming from Germany. :eek:

Hey Matt,
Already having issues with this light, and its it's not even here yet, lol. They offer reduction end plates but only available at Coralvue, and unfortunately they don't want to sell the kit, despite not one LFS or online vendor in US carrying them. Even though BRS Investigates already mentioned the flaws of the light being too wide for most tanks, spilling light. PAR was much lower than the Aquatic Life hybrid. 10" gap in between t5's is silly! So, thank goodness for BRS working with me, it seems that Coralvue doesn't care. So, if I want the kit, it's going to have to come from Europe, and it appears the Euro models also include acrylic shields. Bummer, I would have likely kept it without the shield, assuming I could aquire the reduction kit :(
So, looking like I will go with Aquatic Life 36" hybrid, better performance, and less $$$, and including hanging kit, which is extra with Geissemann. I guess I will chalk it up as a blessing in disguise :) $360 for the hybrid, roughly $70 for Reducing kit, and another $30 for hanging kit, no shield, which Aquatic Life does not have. So side by side, around $460 for proper sized Geissemann Stellar, vs. $280 for the Aquatic Life. Not gonna happen!
Cheers

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Matt,
Already having issues with this light, and its it's not even here yet, lol. They offer reduction end plates but only available at Coralvue, and unfortunately they don't want to sell the kit, despite not one LFS or online vendor in US carrying them. Even though BRS Investigates already mentioned the flaws of the light being too wide for most tanks, spilling light. PAR was much lower than the Aquatic Life hybrid. 10" gap in between t5's is silly! So, thank goodness for BRS working with me, it seems that Coralvue doesn't care. So, if I want the kit, it's going to have to come from Europe, and it appears the Euro models also include acrylic shields. Bummer, I would have likely kept it without the shield, assuming I could aquire the reduction kit :(
So, looking like I will go with Aquatic Life 36" hybrid, better performance, and less $$$, and including hanging kit, which is extra with Geissemann. I guess I will chalk it up as a blessing in disguise :) $360 for the hybrid, roughly $70 for Reducing kit, and another $30 for hanging kit, no shield, which Aquatic Life does not have. So side by side, around $460 for proper sized Geissemann Stellar, vs. $280 for the Aquatic Life. Not gonna happen!
Cheers

I've been looking into the Gisemann Stellar and Aquatic Life 36" fixtures and reached the same conclusion. My only concern is regarding the quality of the T5 reflectors and ballast. For me, ATI sets the benchmark for T5 fixtures and, for that reason, I'm (a little) hesitant to pull the trigger on a non-ATI T5 fixture, although the Aquatic Life is probably my best bet (combined with 2 x AI Hydra 26 HDs over a Reefer 250). An additional fear is insufficient light output and shadowing (as I really should have initially purchased 2 x AI Hydra 52 HDs or a non-puck-style-LED as opposed to 2 x 26HDs).

Maybe I'll just order the Aquatic Life tonight.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into the Gisemann Stellar and Aquatic Life 36" fixtures and reached the same conclusion. My only concern is regarding the quality of the T5 reflectors and ballast. For me, ATI sets the benchmark for T5 fixtures and, for that reason, I'm (a little) hesitant to pull the trigger on a non-ATI T5 fixture, although the Aquatic Life is probably my best bet (combined with 2 x AI Hydra 26 HDs over a Reefer 250). An additional fear is insufficient light output and shadowing (as I really should have initially purchased 2 x AI Hydra 52 HDs or a non-puck-style-LED as opposed to 2 x 26HDs).

Maybe I'll just order the Aquatic Life tonight.
Yes exactly my concern as well, no comparison to the ATI fixture, and strongly considered a 6 bulb unit. I have the LED covered, and am certain I can obtain desired PAR. I think you will be fine, shading will not be a concern, as the t5's will spread the light as well as diffuse. You may want the hydras more centered and possibly have the ends of tank in a lower par scenario, placing less demanding corals accordingly. Still should support monti, stylos, and birdnest in those areas. I plan on using 2 led panels on blue and uv only, with C+ bulbs bringing in the whites. B+ bulbs will also help in maintaining PAR and blues. When I update lighting, I will borrow my buddies PAR meter to dial in. I prefer only the Geissemann verve unit, but fear I won't achieve even PAR. Using my other panel would ve a total of 4 pucks, essentially, which could be overkill, or require lower intensity. I am thinking, based on other tanks I have seen, using hydras, that you should be just fine :)
Cheers

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly my concern as well, no comparison to the ATI fixture, and strongly considered a 6 bulb unit. I have the LED covered, and am certain I can obtain desired PAR. I think you will be fine, shading will not be a concern, as the t5's will spread the light as well as diffuse. You may want the hydras more centered and possibly have the ends of tank in a lower par scenario, placing less demanding corals accordingly. Still should support monti, stylos, and birdnest in those areas. I plan on using 2 led panels on blue and uv only, with C+ bulbs bringing in the whites. B+ bulbs will also help in maintaining PAR and blues. When I update lighting, I will borrow my buddies PAR meter to dial in. I prefer only the Geissemann verve unit, but fear I won't achieve even PAR. Using my other panel would ve a total of 4 pucks, essentially, which could be overkill, or require lower intensity. I am thinking, based on other tanks I have seen, using hydras, that you should be just fine :)
Cheers

I appreciate the reply. Your response, coupled with an exchange with @jda gave me the finally nudge I needed to pull the trigger.

I ordered 2 blue plus and 2 aqua blue special to start with. I’ll keep you posted on how things transpire and I look forward to seeing upward momentum in your thread as time and life permit.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the reply. Your response, coupled with an exchange with @jda gave me the finally nudge I needed to pull the trigger.

I ordered 2 blue plus and 2 aqua blue special to start with. I’ll keep you posted on how things transpire and I look forward to seeing upward momentum in your thread as time and life permit.
My pleasure, glad to help. My buddies tank runs similar to you, his Reefer XL uses Aquatic Life fixture, with I think 4 Hydra 52's. I will be checking out his tank soon, and update with exact details. He has at least 80 high end SPS colonies, and probably 20k in shrooms/retail. It's a site to see! I know the t5's are not nearly as powerful as ATI, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I used the 24" on my old cube, with one of my current led panels, it was bright! Hope to hear back on your impression, happy reefing!
Cheers

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang man that’s crazy. Glad you figured all that out before hand. Remember you could order the t5 reflectors from ATI and just exchange them out. $60+ shipping the reflectors and you’ll still be under the price of giesemann.

14697009-C223-4109-BB48-BBA9179AC86A.png

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang man that’s crazy. Glad you figured all that out before hand. Remember you could order the t5 reflectors from ATI and just exchange them out. $60+ shipping the reflectors and you’ll still be under the price of giesemann.

Hey @Lilmatty5dimes -

One of the things that is so special on the ATI Power Modules is the intelligently-designed forced-cooling system. This system forces air directly over the bulb-ends which reduces heat and forces the bulb to run at a higher wattage. You think @Rick5 would still get the cost-benefit from the change-out?

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I’m more or less talking about switching to their reflectors to hopefully push out more par.
Hey @Lilmatty5dimes -

One of the things that is so special on the ATI Power Modules is the intelligently-designed forced-cooling system. This system forces air directly over the bulb-ends which reduces heat and forces the bulb to run at a higher wattage. You think @Rick5 would still get the cost-benefit from the change-out?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back