OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a PC Rainbow pic to end my day :)

20201005_120805.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Took a few pics today, as corals still being positioned for future growth, as well as color balancing throughout the tank. The tank is only sps, no other corals will go in this tank. All new frags settling in and begin to encrust. A week ago I discontinued use of Pro Bio S and NP Pro. I also reduced KZ Flatworm Stop and KZ Pohls Extra Special to every 3 days. I also m9ved skimmer before fuge instead of after, and other than passive carbon, moving more in a natural path. So far I don't see any negative effects. Thanks for looking over the journal :)

20201018_112555.jpg
20201018_112620.jpg
20201018_112645.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time for some updates.
Nothing has changed since the restart of the tank with acros. Daily using AF Probiotic bacteria at 3 drops, AF liquid polymer which is carbon source(np pro) 3 drops. 2 ml KZ Flatworm Stop, 1ml KZ Pohls Extra, and every other day, AF Build at 3 drops. Fish are fed once per day with frozen foods.
I have dealt with tuffs of hair algae, it persists, but manual removal weekly, I suspect the fuge and acros will dominate for nutrients at some point and starve it out over time. The fuge is teeming with life, the stomatellas, mysis, isopods, copepods, micro stars, limpets all thriving.
My back glass was scraped today, and nearly covered in coraline, just scraped a month ago, so it's becoming a pita! A good problem to have I guess, but do not want a coraline back drop, takes away from a super clean look, and that's important to me, lol.
Not sure about nutrients, my method is coloring corals nicely, they are all polyped out 24/7.
Later on I am going to get some more pics up, especially some of the new ones.
Tuxedo urchins and chitons do a great job controlling coralline. I have 3 tuxedos and plenty chitons in my 90g and they cleared my back wall of coralline and my rocks too. Too well, in fact.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a recovery! Around 2 months from the first photo, right?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors look great Perry!

Hey Tim, thanks so much for the kind words man! Almost 3 months now since sps additions, no losses yet :) I still have not added 1 ml of alk, it just stays locked in, something is releasing, but corals are colorful, and now see branching, not just encrusting. Not sure, but not concerned, savings me money on buffer, lol. I still haven't tested nutrients, and here to prove that sometimes we chase numbers instead of enjoy the tank. I use my reading glasses and magnifying glass daily, multiple times daily to observe corals. Observation, to me has become my compass to guide my decisions on this current tank. I feed very consistent, use a skimmer and mangroves with passive carbon. No filter socks, so very basic. I always knew that I would discontinue Probiotic dosing, that happened 2 weeks ago, and now its just back to basics :)
Cheers my friend!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unreal Perry!! It's coming along so nicely :D

Hi Dom!!!
What's up man? Thanks for the kind words! Finally getting my sps groove back, it's been a struggle, but finally feeling confident about keeping sps. Zero flubber in this one now, as I pulled all non sps to their own new nano home :) I still love me some shrooms, and actively expanding my collection.
Cheers :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That goner frag is now throwing branches and is getting some nice raspberry color, liking the trend :)

20201021_164015.jpg

This one continues to amaze me, it's in its final spot in the tank. I believe it will be a show piece at some point :)
Here's a side shot from today, throwing branches, lol :)

20201101_163304.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This one continues to amaze me, it's in its final spot in the tank. I believe it will be a show piece at some point :)
Here's a side shot from today, throwing branches, lol :)

20201101_163304.jpg
Looking good! I love it when they start throwing out branches, they seem to accelerate at that point and you really can see them grow day to day.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would've been easy to throw that one away too nice work Perry!

Hey Tim,
Totally... I added a freebie round, they took off, found the coral in the throw away spot, lol. Still really humble and careful, not taking the reef for granted. Observation leads my decision making, nothing too impressive to report. Flow is ramped, as I am moving crushed coral, lol. Decided to use filter socks again, but only until the DT is free of algaes. Thoughts, increase flow, less settling, move to sump, catch uglies in sock, let skimmer and fuge finish the work .
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I love it when they start throwing out branches, they seem to accelerate at that point and you really can see them grow day to day.

I know calcification is occurring, it's not just tissue encrusting. That said, still not added 1ml of alk buffer. Saw something different yesterday with flame acro, but likely feeding response. I guess I need to test again, I haven't tested alk for 2 weeks. Anyway, all seems well on the reef, I guess I will get test kits out tomorrow....

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great Perry! Love the two islands. This tank is going to be wall to wall in a year!! Following along!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great Perry! Love the two islands. This tank is going to be wall to wall in a year!! Following along!

Hello and thanks for looking over the journal :) I appreciate the kind words! Wall to Wall would be great :) There are a couple slow growers in there, so we'll have to see. I probably have room for another 15 to 20 pieces, but not in a hurry to add. Lights are low enough to easily support acros on sandbed, so that gives me a little wiggle room. I will also add a magnetic rock structure to the back pane, this will also get me more real-estate. Not much room on rocks left.
Cheers

Back