OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully everything will rebound soon enough. It's the hardest part, waiting and watching. Good luck! I'm sending the good vibes your way.

Hey John,
I am sure it was caught in time, but will always accept some good vibes :) So at least I have my "canary" acro, but cherry tree was fisrt of all sps to look off. Jeez, what was I thinking, lol, but wanted to push just a bit more light, and pretty certain they would take everything t5 could throw, but those 3 watt crees, running 100%, 6" off the water, with a 20" deep tank, and 3" sandbed, simply put, I had a brain freeze when I dropped lighting :)
Oops!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey John,
I am sure it was caught in time, but will always accept some good vibes :) So at least I have my "canary" acro, but cherry tree was fisrt of all sps to look off. Jeez, what was I thinking, lol, but wanted to push just a bit more light, and pretty certain they would take everything t5 could throw, but those 3 watt crees, running 100%, 6" off the water, with a 20" deep tank, and 3" sandbed, simply put, I had a brain freeze when I dropped lighting :)
Oops!
It happens to the best of us and usually when we're thinking about something else and get sidetracked. I know I've had my fair share of mistakes over the years and I'm sure I'll make some more on the way. It's good to have those canaries handy.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens to the best of us and usually when we're thinking about something else and get sidetracked. I know I've had my fair share of mistakes over the years and I'm sure I'll make some more on the way. It's good to have those canaries handy.

Yes it does my friend :)
Tank humming along, no stress, so....let's try and push the envelope, lol. So I believe that a slight uptick in alk, due to dosing kalkwasser, and lighting intensity are my culprits. Not all acros were harmed. Before my fox flame started looking off, my cherry tree monti was washed, in hindsight, at first glimpse, I should have stopped dosing kalkwasser, I tested mg, it was low, so I buffered and thought maybe that was the issue. It sat right up under led bar. All in all not too bad, the fox flame looks rough, but should recover. At this point, it, and monti are only ones looking glum. Back to normal lighting, tired of babying them, lol.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it does my friend :)
Tank humming along, no stress, so....let's try and push the envelope, lol. So I believe that a slight uptick in alk, due to dosing kalkwasser, and lighting intensity are my culprits. Not all acros were harmed. Before my fox flame started looking off, my cherry tree monti was washed, in hindsight, at first glimpse, I should have stopped dosing kalkwasser, I tested mg, it was low, so I buffered and thought maybe that was the issue. It sat right up under led bar. All in all not too bad, the fox flame looks rough, but should recover. At this point, it, and monti are only ones looking glum. Back to normal lighting, tired of babying them, lol.
Not matter what we do, there's always one or two sps that are a slip up away from going down, they're just waiting for us to do something different to set them off. I can look at all my corals and think, yeah, they're really looking good and take a second look and there's that one hold out who says, nah, I'm not joining the others today. The life of an sps keeper. Hopefully the FF will turn around soon. I think it's time for an adult beverage, cheers!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Yesterday was manual algae removal day, and to me, the most effective way. It requires elbow grease, but done regularly will ultimately win the war without impacting chemistry or biology. My cuc won't touch this hair algae, but graze after mowed down, so eventually, my fuge and skimmer will outcompete. That, and corals can access nutrients and eventually beat algae to the punch, here's to hoping, I have a plan, lol.
Today, I scraped all coralline from glass, including back, which I swore I wouldn't do again. My thought was to do so with pumps off, including return. This was to allow scrapings contact time with the reef, hoping to have rocks get to it in areas where hair mowed down, maybe it too outcompetes surface area. My tank was visibly pink, so I turned all pumps back on after a half hour of scraping, then 100% on all to skim off the display.
Moved a few corals, in effort to balance the tank, and get them best appropriate lighting. All in all pleased, despite my ugly fox flame, it's browned a bit, post tip necrosis.
That's about it for now, will put up FTS later for November updated FTS.
Cheers

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice, nothing works better than a little elbow grease, especially concerning algae control. I was in a similar situation for the first year and half (if not longer) of my tank, but knew that it would take time and a lot of work on my part. Keep up the work and it will pay off big time. Brown is a lot better than white and at least it has a chance to fully recover.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November FTS:

20201122_141834.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks John! If you are talking about 3rd pic, its BC Backdraft. Liking what is going on with ASD Rainbow Milli, and RMF Red Devil nasuta :)
Yeah and the 6th one too. Adam has one of the best selections of sps out there. I want to place an order with him next year. His smooth skins are amazing.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just skimmed through this thread, what a journey. I can relate in many ways
Thanks for looking over the journal, it has been a crazy interesting journey. The tank is still young, and looks empty, but my hopes are to maybe add 12 more acros, mainly for lower parts of reef, likely have a deepwater focus on most. I am not in it to frag, that day will come, but I like the look of larger colonies, so I will need to start being a bit picky on new acros. Once they form into mini colonies, I will then be searchin for specific montis for the floor/ sandbed.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah and the 6th one too. Adam has one of the best selections of sps out there. I want to place an order with him next year. His smooth skins are amazing.
RMF Red Devil Nasuta, this one I scored from @UFreefer. Phil has some killer stuff. I haven't introduced my UFreefer SnowyD, but it is the harriest acro I have seen, I believe it to be an Acro Horrida. I have only seen that species a few times in my 15 years at acros. I am old school, I can care less over names, truthfully, I can recognize a rare species and get more of a giddy feeling than a fancy tenni, like a crazy humillus or abro. Another example, like Copps Hoek. I would also love to get my hands on a gomezi too :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RMF Red Devil Nasuta, this one I scored from @UFreefer. Phil has some killer stuff. I haven't introduced my UFreefer SnowyD, but it is the harriest acro I have seen, I believe it to be an Acro Horrida. I have only seen that species a few times in my 15 years at acros. I am old school, I can care less over names, truthfully, I can recognize a rare species and get more of a giddy feeling than a fancy tenni, like a crazy humillus or abro. Another example, like Copps Hoek. I would also love to get my hands on a gomezi too :)
Sounds like we're cut from the same cloth and I absolutely love horridas, such unique growth and coralites. A must have in my book.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like we're cut from the same cloth and I absolutely love horridas, such unique growth and coralites. A must have in my book.

Lol,
We are definitely from the same genre of reefers, for sure:)

Oh,
Forgot to mention, but I will be using a new product for sps feedings. As I trend more natural, I will be using "rusalty's" oyster eggs. Product should arrive soon. I have discontinued use of KZ Pohls Extra, it's out, but will use KZ Flatworm Stop, until it's done. This oyster eggs product looks promising, so more to come later :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a healthy frag of Blue Gomezi from Pieces of the Ocean (POTO) just a couple weeks ago. I'd never heard of it before. The color is unique -- a middle to light blue. Once it grows out I will plant it right next to an Oregon tort. I will be interested to see what form it takes as a colony. At 1" it aint much to look at right now. Darn patience again.

I am really enjoying your pictures; thank you. My viewing pleasure and knowledge base would me significantly enhanced if you could include names -- scientific or branded. In the beginning I was really bad at tracking what I was bringing into my grow out system. I see some of yours and say "I have that! what the heck is it?" :)

Do you source from hobbyists, LFS or online vendors? Or like me, a mix of all?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a healthy frag of Blue Gomezi from Pieces of the Ocean (POTO) just a couple weeks ago. I'd never heard of it before. The color is unique -- a middle to light blue. Once it grows out I will plant it right next to an Oregon tort. I will be interested to see what form it takes as a colony. At 1" it aint much to look at right now. Darn patience again.

I am really enjoying your pictures; thank you. My viewing pleasure and knowledge base would me significantly enhanced if you could include names -- scientific or branded. In the beginning I was really bad at tracking what I was bringing into my grow out system. I see some of yours and say "I have that! what the heck is it?" :)

Do you source from hobbyists, LFS or online vendors? Or like me, a mix of all?
Thanks so much for your reply. This journal is a long read, but since August this year, my system finally allowed for acros. As far as corals go, I will do my best to be concise. A round of local freebies came into the tank, really not wanting them, I had already decided to call it quits on sps. They lived, then thrived, so I set up another tank, and decided for 100% sps. I also got 3 freebies from another local reefer. I then placed my first order, where I spent money. So, most acquired locally, and free. I choose corals, and place corals to have a longterm effect, color, growth patterns, etc. My first actual purchase, they were specifically chosen, they came from Phil, a local reefer in Tampa. I prefer local, but I have to be really choosey moving forward, so online may be inevitable. I am lucky to have reef buddies who have given so many corals to this tank, it's all about PIF

Edit, if you have a gomezi, please feel free to share. Nearly all my acros are lineage, those not, I will source id best I can. Been at this for a long time, those I cannot confirm, likely put my own name on it :)

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your reply. This journal is a long read, but since August this year, my system finally allowed for acros. As far as corals go, I will do my best to be concise. A round of local freebies came into the tank, really not wanting them, I had already decided to call it quits on sps. They lived, then thrived, so I set up another tank, and decided for 100% sps. I also got 3 freebies from another local reefer. I then placed my first order, where I spent money. So, most acquired locally, and free. I choose corals, and place corals to have a longterm effect, color, growth patterns, etc. My first actual purchase, they were specifically chosen, they came from Phil, a local reefer in Tampa. I prefer local, but I have to be really choosey moving forward, so online may be inevitable. I am lucky to have reef buddies who have given so many corals to this tank, it's all about PIF

Edit, if you have a gomezi, please feel free to share. Nearly all my acros are lineage, those not, I will source id best I can. Been at this for a long time, those I cannot confirm, likely put my own name on it :)
For now my new Gomezi frag is certainly work in progress in my grow out which has settled down now after 2 years. Like you I choose for different color, growth patterns and PE. This one looks to be a tabling acro -- short and fat. Happy to share when it grows out.

Lights already gone to blue, but the filter puts it pretty close. It is the one with the name tag at 22:00.

Attachments

• 70130.jpg
    70130.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 31
Back