OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perry, what bacteria do you dose and why are you dosing it? I missed that in the thread.

I use AF Pro Bio S at 2 drops daily. Post water change, I use Microbacter7 at 5 drops. Why? I am of a belief, with dry rock tanks, that this is a missing component for sps health. Tanks established with ocean rock seem to have copious amounts of bacteria readily available and flourishing. When I recently had issues with my tank, I pulled the bottle out and started dosing again, based on my observations, all issues slowly turned around. Is it necessary, heck no, but do I see better coloration, growth, PE, and overall health, why yes I do. I believe Anthony was on to someone with the thread, "why can't you keep sps " . I am no5 using a carbon source though, just not necessary, bacteria used as a food source(anecdotal) and to drive health and vitality.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha I missed that in the thread. Glad it’s working for you

Lol, I did stop using when I felt all acros were settled and looking good, so as stated, the original idea is for the tank not to need any dosing and be natural as possible, but I feel something is missing with my rock, it seems to have binded PO4, as the surface promotes algae, but not detectable with tests, as it is consuming it. Main reason I rarely test for nutrients.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it makes complete sense. Good reasoning that a lot overlook

Here's my take, I have not seen any ill effects from dosing, I have however seen very positive results, so could the bacteria serve as a food source and to aid in health? I am not a scientist, I cannot, and won't attempt to explain, as to not embarass myself, lol. I just feel why not? Maybe, as Anthony suggests, it could possibly be a missing component. Hmmm...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your eyes are not deceiving you -- at least according to Lou Ekus of Tropic Marin. In this video, he talks about PO4 eating bacteria as a coral food source. (From a carbon dosing perspective). It is worth a watch or two.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your eyes are not deceiving you -- at least according to Lou Ekus of Tropic Marin. In this video, he talks about PO4 eating bacteria as a coral food source. (From a carbon dosing perspective). It is worth a watch or two.

Thanks for the video link, I have watched most of it, and really enjoyed :)
Gives me a much better perspective of what my "gut" tells me. It also helps me know why my tank finally allowed for acros to take off.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW guys,
I have been feeding twice per day, I alternate Hikari mysis, Hikari Brine, PE mysis. Total of 4 cubes daily. I also started feeding oyster eggs nightly, at 3ml per feeding. I am happy to report detectable phosphate after testing at .04 today. That said, I am sure my fish won't pitch a fit ;)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW guys,
I have been feeding twice per day, I alternate Hikari mysis, Hikari Brine, PE mysis. Total of 4 cubes daily. I also started feeding oyster eggs nightly, at 3ml per feeding. I am happy to report detectable phosphate after testing at .04 today. That said, I am sure my fish won't pitch a fit ;)
I know it may be too early to tell but how's it going with the oyster eggs?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it may be too early to tell but how's it going with the oyster eggs?

Probably too early to tell, but, I can see my increased efforts of heavier feeding paying off, if measured by PE, as I have 24/7 PE. I am trying to get more food, more often to the tank, my filtration is most certainly capable, so why not. I suspect that oyster eggs are feeding all filter feeders, so I am monitoring micro life as well, as I suspect they too benefit :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing it out there, but which came first, the chicken or the egg... Do acros consume said nutrients, like po4, or do they utilze bacteria that consume po4, thus using it as a food source? Go...

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Maybe a combo of both? I think the corals might eat the bacteria in the water column, and the po4 and no3 feeds the zooxanthellae, so both symbionts are happy? Just putting that out there.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Maybe a combo of both? I think the corals might eat the bacteria in the water column, and the po4 and no3 feeds the zooxanthellae, so both symbionts are happy? Just putting that out there.

Love it, thanks for your experience and observation :)
Cheers

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing it out there, but which came first, the chicken or the egg... Do acros consume said nutrients, like po4, or do they utilze bacteria that consume po4, thus using it as a food source? Go...
If you are to believe Lou Ekus, corals are very efficient consumers of NO3, but poor consumers of PO4; the energy to consume PO4 directly is too high. Corals are good at consuming certain bacteria though. Certain bacteria consume PO4 very efficiently. Think of that bacteria as now being "gut loaded" with PO4, and they become coral food.

I am just parroting what he said.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are to believe Lou Ekus, corals are very efficient consumers of NO3, but poor consumers of PO4; the energy to consume PO4 directly is too high. Corals are good at consuming certain bacteria though. Certain bacteria consume PO4 very efficiently. Think of that bacteria as now being "gut loaded" with PO4, and they become coral food.

I am just parroting what he said.

I know Scott, I am finally connecting the dots, and kinda been parroting it myself, probably because the info is exciting to hear. I now can understand some of my previous fails, with this tank and others. I know my eyes and gut have been on point in my turn around, this is why I am back to dosing again, simply put, my corals look better. Some corals appear to be growing daily, like they are taking off :) color trend seems positive as well.
Oddly, my hair and bubble algae seem to be less, and maybe because the bacteria is consuming po4 in water, and corals are consuming bacteria, robbing the algae the chance. Then mangroves at night, hopefully they will eventually break the will algae in dt at some point, that and corals, lol. Time will tell.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 this is my thought exactly.
I know Scott, I am finally connecting the dots, and kinda been parroting it myself, probably because the info is exciting to hear. I now can understand some of my previous fails, with this tank and others. I know my eyes and gut have been on point in my turn around, this is why I am back to dosing again, simply put, my corals look better. Some corals appear to be growing daily, like they are taking off :) color trend seems positive as well.
Oddly, my hair and bubble algae seem to be less, and maybe because the bacteria is consuming po4 in water, and corals are consuming bacteria, robbing the algae the chance. Then mangroves at night, hopefully they will eventually break the will algae in dt at some point, that and corals, lol. Time will tell.
Glad to hear it Perry! It's interesting to hear such a turn around with the Pro Bio S.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back