OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes. Perry's Phoenix. Another royalty payment my way. Start fragging that up; I need to replace my deceased Event Horizon that failed to appreciate a KCl dip for some aefw that made it through.

All looking great Perry!
Hey Scott! Yes the Phoenix has risen ;) Its now taking off, and it will need a trim soon :) I just wish my millis would join in, lol

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it is strange how different species choose different times to hit a growth spurt. I got a great frag pack back in November. The homewrecker, malificient and SCOP just sit there doing nothing while the Walt Disney is shooting branches all over the place. They are within inches of each other. Whatever.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it is strange how different species choose different times to hit a growth spurt. I got a great frag pack back in November. The homewrecker, malificient and SCOP just sit there doing nothing while the Walt Disney is shooting branches all over the place. They are within inches of each other. Whatever.

I hear you Scott, it seems like my acros know the difference between the plugs surface and rock surface, as the ones on plugs don't do squat until they grow over the plug and make contact with rock. Fresh cuts glued directly down to rock seem to grow faster, at least for me. My WD is a fast grower too, it's on roids I swear ;) Of course my fancy new tenuis all are small, and it will be painful to see them camera worthy. Side note, Fox Flame about 90% recovered and starting to color up again :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass scraping day, ughh.... How many times have I said no more to the back glass? lol, I did best I could without breaking corals, the coralline algae is out of control!
Anyway, some random pics :)

20210118_130235.jpg

20210118_131750.jpg

20210118_131810.jpg

20210118_131912.jpg

20210118_132001.jpg

20210118_132123.jpg

20210118_132201.jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass scraping day, ughh.... How many times have I said no more to the back glass? lol, I did best I could without breaking corals, the coralline algae is out of control!
Anyway, some random pics :)

20210118_130235.jpg

20210118_131750.jpg

20210118_131810.jpg

20210118_131912.jpg

20210118_132001.jpg

20210118_132123.jpg

20210118_132201.jpg

Might have missed it but where did you get that back glass frag rock mount? Did you make that?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have missed it but where did you get that back glass frag rock mount? Did you make that?

From sponsor on here, Aquarocks, they were great to deal with, no complaints, magnets seem to be holding fine. It moved a bit when scraper hit it during scraping, but no big deal :)

12-holed-4-scaled-e1603552692541.jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From sponsor on here, Aquarocks, they were great to deal with, no complaints, magnets seem to be holding fine. It moved a bit when scraper hit it during scraping, but no big deal :)

12-holed-4-scaled-e1603552692541.jpg

Nice! Do you think it would be strong enough to hold colonies? Would be very cool to add corals to the back wall and let them grow out.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Do you think it would be strong enough to hold colonies? Would be very cool to add corals to the back wall and let them grow out.

I am going to do just that :) I have decided to bookend around 6-8 different tenuis species with JF Solar Fkare on one side and RMF Acid Trip on other. The plan is to allow for colony growth, I can always use more powerful magnets on outside glass if need be, I cannot see any future problems as is though :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I am seeing obvious signs of growth, in many corals, some encrusting, and beginning stages of branching on encrusting growth. Others at the tips, so it's obvious to me that calcification is occurring. That being said, I am still not buffering alk/ca. Weird huh? Test reveals same results weekly, again, zero buffering of big2. Now, mg, that's a different story. I definitely have to buffer, and it seems to be depleting. Hmmmm....
Crushed coral sandbed, 100% convinced that it is supplying main minerals. So, the ionic balance is maintained by ensuring mg, is relative to alk/ca. Am I alarmed? Not really, just taken back by what I see happening on the reef, and it blows me away. I'm certain that in time, the relationship that is fueling growth, will eventually need a hand, but for now, I sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride ;)
Cheers,

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early this week I received a 3 pack of acros. These are actually old school frag sizes, a little extra, but worth it, imo. Jason Fox Solar Flare is 2" with 4 branches. My all time favorite, RMF Acid Trip Milli, is 1.25" and 2 branches. Also a 3 branch 1" UC Mad Hatter acro. The fun part here is how I will be able to observe the acid trip, solar flare, asd rainbow milli, and event horizon milli. All these are quite similar, maybe all the same, but I like millis that much :)
Here is a picture of my old acid trip from my 120 gallon, this picture will show exactly why its my favorite :)
20210127_064251.jpg

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just finished going through the entire thread and must say that your persistence to keep going has given me hope that I will one day have a tank as nice as yours.

I am not sure if I missed it or not, but I noticed you had setup a c02 scrubber. Are you still running it? If not could you share why you took it out? I'm not struggling to keep my pH up and it's a little frustrating.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished going through the entire thread and must say that your persistence to keep going has given me hope that I will one day have a tank as nice as yours.

I am not sure if I missed it or not, but I noticed you had setup a c02 scrubber. Are you still running it? If not could you share why you took it out? I'm not struggling to keep my pH up and it's a little frustrating.

Hey Chris,
Thanks for reading the journal, it has been a ride, that's for sure. As far as ph goes, I think a scrubber is too much. I have a 3" crushed coral bed that in itself maintains excellent ph and is very stable. I do not yet buffer alk/ca as the crushed coral maintains balance, despite good visual growth. I also have mangroves lit opposite DT which I believe further stabilize ph. I have the scrubber on hand with 6 months worth of media, but see no reason to go online with it. I prefer natural applications if applicable and available. Quite frankly, I don't test ph, or monitor it, and haven't with any previous system. Thanks again for following along :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, decid.ed to post up February FTS. Still not much to look at, my fox flame is angry again, doh... probably when I added 2nd reefbar, I dropped lights 2" too low. As you can see, on left side, the "Phoenix" or rescue coral is on roids, will likely have to begin cutting in the next month.
Also, noticed my nub of a Sniper SPS bubblegum milli is finally shifting from green, and polyps are bright red, nearly encrusted, so hope to see it come out of dormancy.
Update complete ;)

20210205_162804.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, decid.ed to post up February FTS. Still not much to look at, my fox flame is angry again, doh... probably when I added 2nd reefbar, I dropped lights 2" too low. As you can see, on left side, the "Phoenix" or rescue coral is on roids, will likely have to begin cutting in the next month.
Also, noticed my nub of a Sniper SPS bubblegum milli is finally shifting from green, and polyps are bright red, nearly encrusted, so hope to see it come out of dormancy.
Update complete ;)

20210205_162804.jpg
Think of it as a picture for posterity. Whadya say about a tad more fish (poop) in there?

And I get some dibs on the Phoenix frags as you are getting behind on the royalty payments :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott,
Funny you mention fish, as I do plan to add more, right now 4 large pj's, 1 large bangai, 2 clowns, and leopard wrasse. Probably will add a couple chromis and a smaller hawkfish. Maybe some nano fish as well. As far as Phoenix goes, probably not a lot of demand for no/self named corals, but she is purdy!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back