20240204_063035.jpg
20240204_063046.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The star fish? Asterina star mixed bag. I personally have had them eat zoas. I dont think they all do it but the ones that definitely do are mostly a darker color gray to greenish gray. I couldnt tell you if they all start white with specs and get darker as the consume zoas or if they are two separate things. In my previous reef life I had an over abundance of them because I fed heavy. Harlequin shrimp took them down to 0 in no time flat.

Upvote 0

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s the starfish I think it’s the brownish stuff under the rock their asking about and I honestly have no clue what that is

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kilkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s the starfish I think it’s the brownish stuff under the rock their asking about and I honestly have no clue what that is
It's more yellow than brown. Sorry about the picture quality, thats as far as I could zoom in before getting too blurry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kilkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
treated for Cyanobacteria about a month ago. cleared it all out. but this stuff and yellow sponge has been popping up all over the tank.

Upvote 0

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
treated for Cyanobacteria about a month ago. cleared it all out. but this stuff and yellow sponge has been popping up all over the tank.
What did u treat with. Parameters. Cyano happen w temp swings outside and co2 levels in house due to gas heaters

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kilkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ur tank looks rough. The algae on ur glass. Parameters
I don't clean the back wall. keeps the snails fed. Nitrate 7-10 ppm, Phosphate undetectable, PH 8.4, Alk 11 dkh ,Cal 420, Mag 1380-1400 Sal 1.025 - 1.027 (top off 3-5 gallon RO every other day) weekly 40 gallon water change (20%). Tank is heavily stocked.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kilkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did u treat with. Parameters. Cyano happen w temp swings outside and co2 levels in house due to gas heaters
Chemi-clean. Temp holds fairly steady at 77 year round. I smoke so no doubt co2 spikes happen when I'm home. leave refugium on 24/7 and keeps my ph stable 8.2 towards the end of the week, 8.4 after a water change. the cyano has been present since i bought the tank. was already a mature 5 year tank. I transfered all the live rock to the new 210 when i set it up and the cyano came with it. Was paranoid about adding chemicals to the tank but finally got fed up cleaning it off the kelp in the refugium every day.

Upvote 0

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Chemi clean has some bad horror stories. I prefer red slime remover. I would get .04 to .07 phosphates in there. Zoas like it. My tank was at its peak when I fed crazy. Noticed that was the diff the lfs owner had from my reef keeping. I worked for him for 3 years, took a bit to catch on to the feeding

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the yellow sponge like stuff and worm tubes all over the bottom of the rock.
It's more yellow than brown. Sorry about the picture quality, thats as far as I could zoom in before getting too blurry.
If it's more yellow than brown, then it's a probably a yellow, encrusting sponge - most likely harmless.

The worm tubes look like worm tubes to me - they're also harmless/beneficial.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kilkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some phosphates in there. Imo undectable is bad
The API kit I have starts at 2.5. it's below that. no doubt phosphates are present just not at levels that show up on my test kits. I do run Chemipure in my refugium between chambers. I know I should invest in a Hanna phosphate checker so I actually know what the levels are

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back