pH poll. What does yours top out at?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by David Drew, Nov 24, 2017.

?
  1. 7.8-7.9

9.3%
  2. 7.9-8.0

10.2%
  3. 8.0-8.1

19.7%
  4. 8.1-8.2

21.4%
  5. 8.2-8.3

30.4%
  6. 8.4+

8.9%
  1. David Drew

David Drew Well-Known Member

So I plumbed my skimmer outside for fresh O2. I added Kalk to my ATO. Surface agitation is great. Problem is that Co2 builds up in my airtight home. I could never get it above 7.8 at the peak of the day. It would dip to 7.65 at night. I’ve finally got it to 8.05 with the window open next to the tank. I know, I know, most people don’t chase pH, but now it’s personal out of spite!

Out of curiosity, I’d like to know how many of you get 8.1 or above without Kalk, skimmer plumbing, etc. Poll is open!

jsker and XNavyDiver like this.
    Tags:

2. nvladik

nvladik Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Results won't be conclusive without adjusting for size of home, # of occupants, location of tank, type of house + ventilation, etc. Too many factors to consider. But I got the Ph to 8.18 with just skimmer plumbing, no Kalk addition.

Bouncingsoul39 likes this.
  3. Daltrey

Daltrey Well-Known Member

I plumbed my skimmer to outside air. Went from around 7.6 to around 8.1. I planned it when setting up my tank to be against outside wall. I also pump saltwater outside to do water changes.

20171124_195959.jpg

MaiReef, David Drew and DSC reef like this.
  4. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Daily after work I open a window about 6 inches. Keeps my pH dth about 8.2-8.4.

5. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

8.0-8.1 here

DSC reef likes this.
  6. Ubergroover

Ubergroover Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night R2R Supporter CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

8.2...never goes higher , low is 8.0

7. ca1ore

ca1ore Well-Known Member CTARS Member

Fresh air to skimmer never made much difference to my tank. I do add Kalk, and run a large reverse lit chaeto refugium. Gets to about 8.2 during the day, 7.9 ish at night.

8. David Drew

Didn’t do anything for my tank either. Glad I drilled that 3/8th’s hole through my living room wall through the block. Unless I have the window open I can’t keep my pH up. Living in Florida allows me to open the house 2 months out of the year. So frustrating.

9. Reefltx

Reefltx Well-Known Member

8.0-8.2, skimmer w/co2 scrubber

10. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Well-Known Member

Chaeto on reverse light cycle and I dose .5 dkH in kalk per day with a dosing pump. PH ranges from 8-8.2. Kalk in the ATO may not raise your pH that much if you don't get a lot of evaporation. Don't dose more kalk if your tank won't consume the calcium and dkH though.

I tried a co2 scrubber on my skimmer and actually chose to take it offline because it worked so well that I had a significant increase in precipitation of calcium carbonate, which made dosing a pain. Raised my pH .2 .

11. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter

CO2 scrubber. I've used one (I still have it), and my pH would hover around 8.6

12. Adam G

Adam G Well-Known Member

8.15 max for me. I have a Chaeto refugium lit at night and CO2 scrubber. Drops to 7.9 during the day when the Main lights are on and the refugium lights are off. The CO2 scrubber has helped but it is the refugium that has really made the difference for me.

David Drew likes this.
  13. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Mine has been running low since May. My airline is to the outside, add a scrubber, new probe, light in the sump. The only time the PH goes up is went the cooler air is here.

David Drew and XNavyDiver like this.
  14. David Drew

I have a scrubber. The problem is, is that the media gets exhausted within a week and that stuff isn’t cheap. I’m adding 1 tsp per gallon of Kalk in my ATO. Now my alk is around 10.5. With the house closed, HVAC running, skimmer plumbed outside and no Kalk I get 7.8 at my peak and that’s only for a few hours before it dips back down again. I’ve read Randy’s pH article several times so I’m positive it’s a cO2 problem in the house. I think I’ve run out of options. My pH probe is calibrated and my backup test is API, both showing the same.

Any other ideas?

jsker likes this.
  15. XNavyDiver

Here how I rigged my co2 scrubber to make the media last up to 3 weeks or more:
    20170829_072621.jpg 20170829_072607.jpg
    I drilled a larger hole in my skimmer lids vent holes (I just bored out a vent hole to a larger diameter) to accomodate a nylon elbow fitting. Silcone tubing routs air drawn from the top of skimmer collection cup, which is moist air, into the reactor. The other side of the reactor is routed to the air intake of the skimmer. This insures that moist air is always drawn into the co2 scrubbing media. I last anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks before the media is completely exhausted and purple.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    3mm3, Roggio, WWIII and 1 other person like this.
  16. David Drew

So essentially it’s a closed loop setup. That’s a darn good idea. You’re re-scrubbing the air that’s already been scrubbed from what I see.

17. XNavyDiver

Correct. Except it's not completely closed. There are about 10 more holes in that lid that aren't routed by tubing to the scrubber, so there is always "outside" air being drawn into the scrubber. The difference is, that air is drawn through the collection cup, which is jungle moist, then into the reactor.
    The key is drawing in moist air. Its the dry air constantly through the reaction chamber that expends the co2 media so quickly.

Roggio, VbReefer and David Drew like this.
  18. Sgchick

Sgchick Active Member

I have a simple 29 biocube.. with a Kessil360w tuna blue, apex controller,(hope to upgrade to a bigger tank next year). I've never seen mine lower than 7.9 and as high as 8.3.

19. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Don't know , don't care much either unless there's a problem or I want to experiment or dose.

sfin52 likes this.
  20. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Bake baking soda at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and use the baking soda to boost the PH is going to be my next step;)

David Drew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted