Philips CoralCare LED - Let the Testing Begin!

U

User1

View Badges
You might like this:
Pretty decent synopses though 2014 so "old"..
Covers a lot of bases..

corallight.JPG

In fw or sw never found anything definitive that one can "control algae with spectrum".
Doesn't mean it isn't possible, but not where I'd put my odds ..
Maybe red algae since their pigments are quite different and decreasing green spectrum puts them at a slight disadvantage..

A bit more asst. organisms.

1-s2.0-S0960982217302816-gr1_lrg.jpg

Need to specify depth..;)

I've always liked more green in my lighting - lime actually. I still feel that my best success was using the older rapid led borealis (sp) multi channel chips. They had 12 or so lime LED's and with a controller they put out some incredible spectrum and color. Unfortunately I was changing drivers and killed them :(. I reached out if they could make / source some more but they stopped. Not a popular seller they said so moth balled it.

Not sure if lime or green help but I make sure all my lights there after have them be it DIY or over the counter. Although I thought I recall reading something in an article somewhere about green spectrum. Maybe I'm mixing it up.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They think they outsmarted nature by providing light without UV and were wrong again. The plant may utilize this part of the spectrum for flavonoids and other compounds like basil does. The protective shield the plant produces serves as more than just protection from the UV. Because it has evolved to best utilize what nature has provided for billions of years.

On a philosophical note if organisms utilized nature to it's fullest there would be few species, not millions.
A species exist because it takes advantage of another similar species weakness created by its inability to fully utilize something present in nature that another can.

One species "failure to adapt fully" is anothers niche..

That "perfection" may happen yet (at least for a time since the environment itself is FAR from static) but the billions of species past and present doesn't exactly favor that opinion..

You don’t have to be perfectly adapted to survive, you just have to be as well adapted as your competitors. The apparent perfection of plants and animals may be more a reflection of our poor imaginations than of reality.

Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories.

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked more green in my lighting - lime actually. I still feel that my best success was using the older rapid led borealis (sp) multi channel chips. They had 12 or so lime LED's and with a controller they put out some incredible spectrum and color. Unfortunately I was changing drivers and killed them :(. I reached out if they could make / source some more but they stopped. Not a popular seller they said so moth balled it.

Not sure if lime or green help but I make sure all my lights there after have them be it DIY or over the counter. Although I thought I recall reading something in an article somewhere about green spectrum. Maybe I'm mixing it up.

Dana Riddle and some others discuss green light and oddly enough discuss some terrestrial plants. I just googled “green light reef2reef” and found some interesting stuff where they were discussing it.
Rapid LED. remember the olden days when everybody was building their own lights? Now they mostly just sell grow lights. I do know they still sell the LED chips. I still order stuff from Rapid. All my LED’s I built still work lol. A decade later.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for going a bit o/t above.
Just keep in mind most successful lights (and mercury based) have plenty of green w/ a few exceptions like heavily phosphor-ed actinics...

Rlk4SLeOSBVv29oPBvwinuGMtJwd90jgAH8hcZIY1kHpK1g7EZ1Es6oSRVDH22qwERCCbtmsBfACFt2nuNHPNnAq5oAfbqAm

The lime in the Phillips is a more efficient "green substitute" than a normal green led which are notoriously inefficient.
They also have a fair spread which is common in phosphor converted colors (in this case blue pump, green phosphor)
By cutting down on the amount of phosphor you get their "mint" diode. (blue spike).

Not to mention RGB make a visible white for color and brightness to the human eye..

As to their need, I'll leave that up to others to decide..
20k-250w-halide.png

U

User1

View Badges

Hi - thank you for posting this. Special thanks go out to @Dana Riddle - this is something I believe he does on his own time as a favor to us all. I personally enjoy the unbiased results even though it may be on a product I'm not interested in.

I have to say I really like everything I've read and seen on this light. I could really see myself reselling 4 x a360x's for a pair of these. Great job Dana.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - thank you for posting this. Special thanks go out to @Dana Riddle - this is something I believe he does on his own time as a favor to us all. I personally enjoy the unbiased results even though it may be on a product I'm not interested in.

I have to say I really like everything I've read and seen on this light. I could really see myself reselling 4 x a360x's for a pair of these. Great job Dana.
Thank you @saf1! I'll publish the review of the Radion XR30 Pro here on R2R as soon as I can muster the thought of writing. I'm burned out after testing 3 luminaires and writing reports in less than 2 months. I want my life back. LOL.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Covid19 has delayed the introduction but I've heard rumors as early as July 2020. But have heard September as well.
I had meant the return of the fixture to test, wasn't aware it was already done, and that you were already done. Thanks for the nice write-up, and that PUR inclusion at the end of it.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a philosophical note if organisms utilized nature to it's fullest there would be few species, not millions.
A species exist because it takes advantage of another similar species weakness created by its inability to fully utilize something present in nature that another can.

One species "failure to adapt fully" is anothers niche..

That "perfection" may happen yet (at least for a time since the environment itself is FAR from static) but the billions of species past and present doesn't exactly favor that opinion..

While I completely agree with what you're saying here, there is no way to know if an animal or plant has adapted to utilize something in some way. It doesn't need to be the perfect adaptation, For example: They may utilize UV, but may only get 30% of the potential benefit from it, which is an imperfect adaptation. Typically, if something can be utilized it is because it would provide an advantage that other competing species do not have. So while the result of evolution will never be perfection, its generally safe to assume that if it can be used it will be.

Since there is no way to determine if something that is present in the natural environment is not used (excluding harmful factors/stimuli), its generally a safe bet to just simulate the natural environment, because the chances are you don't know everything.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had meant the return of the fixture to test, wasn't aware it was already done, and that you were already done. Thanks for the nice write-up, and that PUR inclusion at the end of it.
I'm in contact with Ryan Snodgrass, and we're getting the shipping details worked out. I'll ship as soon as I get the shipping labels. And thanks!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read the report. hmm. PAR seems a bit borderline and that is at 100%, when folks turn the whites down to 50% to get the ever-popular "cool blue" look, I am concerned that PAR is going to underwhelm at even 12" below water surface.

I'll look for some beta testers PAR vids to confirm this. Hrmm, I was hoping to go with these due to the passive cooling and quality construction, but I have a 27" deep bare bottom tank and want SPS down to the bottom with a ~20K color temp, may have to keep looking. I'll wait till I see more reviews though.

Dana, as always, thanks for your excellent unbiased reporting.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read the report. hmm. PAR seems a bit borderline and that is at 100%, when folks turn the whites down to 50% to get the ever-popular "cool blue" look, I am concerned that PAR is going to underwhelm at even 12" below water surface.

I'll look for some beta testers PAR vids to confirm this. Hrmm, I was hoping to go with these due to the passive cooling and quality construction, but I have a 27" deep bare bottom tank and want SPS down to the bottom with a ~20K color temp, may have to keep looking. I'll wait till I see more reviews though.

Dana, as always, thanks for your excellent unbiased reporting.
Thank you!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back