Picotope 3 gallon...

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At drsfostersmith.com I grabbed a picotope 3 for $39.99!!! I haven't done a tank less then 8 gallons so I'm excited to see how it goes. My question is, is the bottom of the tank glass? Is the back panel or bottom tempered? Can you guys where I'm going with this?

I would also love to do an LED kit in the fixture and was wondering if anyone has done that yet. Very little on here about these tasks that I've found.

Check out the deal and let me know what you think.

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My package arrives this afternoon! I'm excited to get home to check it out and see if this thing can be drilled :p

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It arrived! I see nothing indicating it's tempered...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jyqehe9e.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool little nano!

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thoughts going through my head as I look at the potential of this stock pico...

1. To drill or not to drill, that is the question. I LOVE having fuges attached to my tanks. Currently in my classroom I have my 324 and the sump/fuge for it. I could drill this little thing and run lines from my bookshelf over to my sump and a smaller pump pump back to the pico. Or I could make my own little fuge for the pico and then put the pico and fuge in my office. Or I could make a fuge and keep this pico at home... Or leave it stock and get a better rated filter that I could convert into a fuge.

2. Upgrade the lighting to a current LED fixture of some sort OR make my own LED kit utilizing the Compact Florescent system that is on it, just take out the guts and still use the frame.

3. Keep it stock and rock away...

Too many decisions!

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh yes, turned it into an AIO! I miss my old BioCube 8g... was a lot of fun after a few mods. I just got tired of the PC's and I got rid of it when LEDs were JUST coming out.

I thought about turning it into an AIO BUT there is just so little space already, figured I could drill it and get it plumbed into something for more natural filtration.

maybe my little tank will help you make some decisions, give it a go through: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/nano-reefs/101501-project-frankenstein.html

JuanGutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact tank just sitting in my closet and I've been trying to figure out what I should do with it. I look forward to seeing what you do!

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the tank and such to my buddy who does custom LED projects. So he's going to look at my current light fixture and see if he can gut it and do a custom LED kit in it. We'll see what he comes up with!

Now to think more on filtration!

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh... just modded an AC70 with in tank basket to fit my girlfriends identical pico... now just waiting for the DM36e dimmable led from Reef Radiance.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk how hard this would be but..i wonder if you could bevel out the top on the right or left so its low enough water would flow over and you could silicone 4 pieces of glass to the back of the tank to make it an AIO. idk if that made sense lol, i can draw it on paint, but it may be more trouble than its worth

Back