OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, reviving this zombie thread. I am obviously the master of unfinished business (two unfinished builds). This project has been sitting dormant for a couple of years now. I am not getting any younger, so time to finish it - I hope. So, if you don't mind following incredibly slow build threads, I am inviting you to refresh your memories from the beginning here and just pretend it is current info - because it still pretty much is. :)

Onward ....

BoatLoad.gif

Logo-small.jpg

Stay tuned...

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll still be more than happy to take one of these awesome builds off your hands!
I will finish them both. If nothing else, I am getting closer to retirement (hopefully 24 months) and I will have plenty of time to play with the tanks. Hopefully it won't take that long to get there though. :) Thanks for following along.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flow in this small tank, I didn't want an MP-10 or visible powerheads inside a small tank, so closed loop it is. That is how the original tank was set up, but no way I was going to use a SCWD this time around. I once had an OceansMotions Super Squirt Compact 4 way valve. It was awesome! They no longer make them, which is a shame. Haven't made them in 8 years. Unfortunately, I was going to use it on this build, but dropped it (with plumbing attached) and broke the housing. I threw it out, thinking that was that with going that route.

Well, I made a post looking for a used one and found someone who had one in storage. So, I now have another one and have started trying to figure out how I will situate it inside of the chest enclosure. I will need to drill a couple more holes for outlets in the tank, but this is what I have come up with so far.

Going to use a Mag 2 to drive it, but I currently don't have a working one here. The pump shown is a Mag 5, which would be way too much for this small tank, but it is the same physical size, so using it for mock up. I will connect to the outlets using ½" silicone tubing, instead of hard plumbing this time around.

Some pics of where we are at the moment. I have to run to the hardware store, but you know you are a long time reefer when you already had 90% of the fittings "in stock" at home. :)

12-08-18-01.jpg

12-08-18-02.jpg

12-08-18-03.jpg

12-08-18-04.jpg

12-08-18-05.jpg

I also managed to find the finishing touch for the chest hardware - a metal skull and cross bones. Argh! :)

12-08-18-10.jpg

12-08-18-07.jpg

12-08-18-06.jpg

I pulled out the old EuroReef skimmer in favor of something much smaller. I use one of these Reef Octopus nano skimmers on another tank and have been pleased with it, so going with another one in this sump. Not settled on how I will set up the drain into the sump yet. This is an old NextReef sock holder at the moment. Just not fond of these holders, as they are a pain to easily remove the sock for cleaning.

12-08-18-08.jpg

I did make a couple of changes here. I am going to use a InkBird temp controller on my heater as a safety backup to the APEX. Not dealing with much water volume here, so a heater malfunction would not be good. I also installed quick disconnects that I had laying around on the media reactor for quick removal to swap out the media. I will also have a quick disconnect to attach a hose for water removal from the sump for water changes. This will just be a regular garden hose quick connector.

12-08-18-09.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More drilling today. Adding 2 more ½" bulkheads for closed loop & a 10mm hole for a mini air bulkhead. That will allow me to keep an air stone in the tank, hooked up to A Penn-Plax Silent Air stand-by air pump. If power goes off, the air pump automatically starts up and will deliver air and some current to the tank, until power comes back on. Pump is powered by two D cell batteries. Anyway, a few more pics for those following along. The tank now has 8 holes drilled in it. :)

MoreHoles1.jpg
MoreHoles2.jpg
MoreHoles3.jpg
MoreHoles4.jpg
MoreHoles5.jpg
MoreHoles6.jpg
MoreHoles7.jpg
MoreHoles8.jpg
MoreHoles9.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue!

(I'm color blind and I can see that!)

Love it!
I have never had a blue tank. They have always been black. Painting the bulkheads maybe was not a great idea, but thought I would try it. I always used black for my bacgrounds to help hide the overflows, powerheads & plumbing (when I used black PVC). An experiment.

Pace yourself! :) Nothing good happens fast...
Nothing good is happening slow either. :) At least I am working on it. I have my big tank to finish too, but this one has been waiting longer. Ha.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the blue looks good. It emphasizes the space. Curious what kind of livestock you are considering? I think anything would look great against that.
I am curious myself. :p

Back